What if it isn't ...E=MC2

hangover

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2013
What if it's E=MC360? What if time isn't a straight line to infinity? What if it's a circle? Or more precisely, a bubble? And what if that bubble popped? Wala!...the big bang!

I've heard that God invented time to keep everything from happening all at once. But what if the big bang was God's consciousness, and that invented time and all that is?

Just a few thoughts that I have when I wake up at 3am. This will surely get the religious nuts, and the fundamentalist quantum physicists to look down their noses. eh.....

Get more sleep, that's my suggestion. :)

E=MC2 is a cornerstone of reality. Everything with mass has a potential amount of energy as represented by the equation. Nuclear weapons wouldn't work if the equation was in any way flawed.

E=MC2 is a cornerstone of reality. Everything with mass has a potential amount of energy as represented by the equation. Nuclear weapons wouldn't work if the equation was in any way flawed.
Sorry, Einstein wasn't God....and neither was the Catholic church when they declared that the universe revolved around the earth, and the earth was flat, and that the earth was the center of the universe. The more you know, the more you realize you don't....just more questions....like quantum mechanics. There's possibilities, and then there is what is real. E=MC2 is just a possibility....a theory, not a fact.

Sorry, Einstein wasn't God....and neither was the Catholic church when they declared that the universe revolved around the earth, and the earth was flat, and that the earth was the center of the universe. The more you know, the more you realize you don't....just more questions....like quantum mechanics. There's possibilities, and then there is what is real. E=MC2 is just a possibility....a theory, not a fact.

(clutches his heart fearing he's about to have a heart attack)

I'm going to ignore this and write it off as your Muligan. Otherwise bad things will happen neither of us want. :)

What if it's E=MC360? What if time isn't a straight line to infinity? What if it's a circle? Or more precisely, a bubble? And what if that bubble popped? Wala!...the big bang!

I've heard that God invented time to keep everything from happening all at once. But what if the big bang was God's consciousness, and that invented time and all that is?

Just a few thoughts that I have when I wake up at 3am. This will surely get the religious nuts, and the fundamentalist quantum physicists to look down their noses. eh.....
Time keeps going and going and going and going. No one knows how the universe began, how big it is, and if it even has an ending. No one has seen the edges, or even if it has edges. And if it does, no one knows what's beyond that. Today's technology doesn't allow us to examine those possibilities. We are very limited, thus the guess work involved when trying to determine the origin, the expanse, and the entire makeup. Scientists have theorized warping time, and I believe some experiments have been conducted. But, in order to actually have manned deep space exploration, warping time would have to be a lot more than theory and experiments in the lab.

Our place in the known universe has already been mapped, and we're discovering new places beyond previous limits. The deepest darkest outer reaches of the universe are still many decades away from being seen and understood. We're presently in the very early infant stages of space exploration, and unknowns will remain unknowns until advances are made that will enable us to venture far beyond guess work and lab tests. Understanding time and space requires technology beyond what we know now, and it may be next century before we reach the next level of time warping, manned deep space travel, mapping universes, looking into the deepest darkest places at the edge or end of space, and if there is an edge or end.

E=MC2 is the most accurate description we have as to what energy and matter is. I cannot for the life of me think of a better description. So when you try to change this description you need some proof that it is lacking I can't see how one could because this particular description of matter and energy is so amazingly simple. It to me is almost a photograph of what energy and matter is. Science is the tool by which we describe the physical reality we perceive by the most accurate terms we have available to us and by the most accurate means we have available. Even if time were a flat circle or space a tortoise riding on the back of another tortoise this equation or description would not change. It is the General Theory of Relativity and it is a masterpiece, it might not explain all things about the universe but it is indeed the chief corner on which modern physics is built upon

Time keeps going and going and going and going. No one knows how the universe began, how big it is, and if it even has an ending. No one has seen the edges, or even if it has edges. And if it does, no one knows what's beyond that. Today's technology doesn't allow us to examine those possibilities. We are very limited, thus the guess work involved when trying to determine the origin, the expanse, and the entire makeup. Scientists have theorized warping time, and I believe some experiments have been conducted. But, in order to actually have manned deep space exploration, warping time would have to be a lot more than theory and experiments in the lab.

Our place in the known universe has already been mapped, and we're discovering new places beyond previous limits. The deepest darkest outer reaches of the universe are still many decades away from being seen and understood. We're presently in the very early infant stages of space exploration, and unknowns will remain unknowns until advances are made that will enable us to venture far beyond guess work and lab tests. Understanding time and space requires technology beyond what we know now, and it may be next century before we reach the next level of time warping, manned deep space travel, mapping universes, looking into the deepest darkest places at the edge or end of space, and if there is an edge or end.

Universe is substantially different that people think of it. There's two universes in a manner of speaking, the "observable" universe, and the rest of the universe. Because the universe is about 13.5 billion years old, but during the early expansion expanded in excess of the speed of light (some think about 10,000 times lightspeed,) the actual diameter is a lot more than just 13.5 billion light-years. Current guesstimate is about 80 billion light-years in diameter. But because the light from the earliest universe is still travelling to our eyes, because it's only been travelling 13.5 billion years, we can't see further than 13.5 billion light-years. Then there's the whole 'fog' of the earliest universe presenting a visual barrier we can't see through as well.

There's no edge to the universe. While I understand this is going to annoy people, or at least disturb them, the universe's beginning during the big bang wasn't an explosion like we think of explosions. Rather the time-space that is "space" in teh universe itself expanded and continues to expand even now. A conventional explosion would suggest the universe began at a single point and began expanding in all directions. Not quite. Rather it's more like an inflating balloon. If you imagine ourselves on the surface of a balloon being expanded, then anywhere we look along the surface of the balloon is expanding, but with noa ctual starting point. This is what we see through telescopes. Everywhere in the universe is expanding away from any fixed reference point equally. So there's no 'center of the universe' and no edge either. Anywhere you'd put a starting point is expanding away from that point evenly.

More disturbing still is regions of the universe are 'drifting' towards a point "beyond the universe." According to what we know about gravity, they shouldn't be heading the direction they in fact are. So some have hypothesized they're being attracted by something of greater gravity as with another universe. So instead of the universe being a single balloon, there may be other balloons resting against one another like soap bubbles. And while the soap bubble analogy suggest an edge or end to each universe, because our's and perhaps all universes continue to expand, and since time-space is curved, any direction you travel in means you'll eventually come back to your starting point. Thus no edge.

This seeming contradiction brings to mind a favourite quote of mine, "If after studying the sciences, you aren't then deeply disturbed, you didn't understand a damned thing." :)

Universe is substantially different that people think of it. There's two universes in a manner of speaking, the "observable" universe, and the rest of the universe. Because the universe is about 13.5 billion years old, but during the early expansion expanded in excess of the speed of light (some think about 10,000 times lightspeed,) the actual diameter is a lot more than just 13.5 billion light-years. Current guesstimate is about 80 billion light-years in diameter. But because the light from the earliest universe is still travelling to our eyes, because it's only been travelling 13.5 billion years, we can't see further than 13.5 billion light-years. Then there's the whole 'fog' of the earliest universe presenting a visual barrier we can't see through as well.

There's no edge to the universe. While I understand this is going to annoy people, or at least disturb them, the universe's beginning during the big bang wasn't an explosion like we think of explosions. Rather the time-space that is "space" in teh universe itself expanded and continues to expand even now. A conventional explosion would suggest the universe began at a single point and began expanding in all directions. Not quite. Rather it's more like an inflating balloon. If you imagine ourselves on the surface of a balloon being expanded, then anywhere we look along the surface of the balloon is expanding, but with noa ctual starting point. This is what we see through telescopes. Everywhere in the universe is expanding away from any fixed reference point equally. So there's no 'center of the universe' and no edge either. Anywhere you'd put a starting point is expanding away from that point evenly.

More disturbing still is regions of the universe are 'drifting' towards a point "beyond the universe." According to what we know about gravity, they shouldn't be heading the direction they in fact are. So some have hypothesized they're being attracted by something of greater gravity as with another universe. So instead of the universe being a single balloon, there may be other balloons resting against one another like soap bubbles. And while the soap bubble analogy suggest an edge or end to each universe, because our's and perhaps all universes continue to expand, and since time-space is curved, any direction you travel in means you'll eventually come back to your starting point. Thus no edge.

This seeming contradiction brings to mind a favourite quote of mine, "If after studying the sciences, you aren't then deeply disturbed, you didn't understand a damned thing." :)
Yes, you are disturbed, and you think that I'm the one that needs some sleep. Bwah ha ha ha ha!

E=MC2 is the most accurate description we have as to what energy and matter is. I cannot for the life of me think of a better description. So when you try to change this description you need some proof that it is lacking I can't see how one could because this particular description of matter and energy is so amazingly simple. It to me is almost a photograph of what energy and matter is. Science is the tool by which we describe the physical reality we perceive by the most accurate terms we have available to us and by the most accurate means we have available. Even if time were a flat circle or space a tortoise riding on the back of another tortoise this equation or description would not change. It is the General Theory of Relativity and it is a masterpiece, it might not explain all things about the universe but it is indeed the chief corner on which modern physics is built upon
Hi Cynthia, welcome to the funny farm. You mentioned energy and matter in the equation, but left out the "C". I think the "C" stands for CONSCIOUSNESS, because without it, energy, time and matter, don't. Like it a tree falls and no one is there, does it "matter" if it makes a sound?

Forum List

Back