What if.... 2016...... a scenario

In some ways, yes. But too much splitter party movement can cause even more gridlock than we have suffered through in the last 4 years.

It can. but it's unusual.

It has happened in Israel a few times, where the politics are simply so splintered that you get 6 parties in coalition government and another 6 in opposition.

But if we look at Germany, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand or Denmark, 9 elections out of 10 see voters choose between several clear options.

In some ways, yes. But too much splitter party movement can cause even more gridlock than we have suffered through in the last 4 years.

It can. but it's unusual.

It has happened in Israel a few times, where the politics are simply so splintered that you get 6 parties in coalition government and another 6 in opposition.

But if we look at Germany, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand or Denmark, 9 elections out of 10 see voters choose between several clear options.

Yes, and this sometimes forces coalition building that is incredibly non-productive. Sometimes.

It works fine, Rabbi.

There are occasions where a small party has held the balance of power (giving them choice over which major party forms a government), but those are rare. In most cases it is clear to voters who will work with whom, and they vote accordingly. This also voters to influence the actual makeup of a government in a way that is unthinkable in a two party system. This patently does not occur in primaries, because the losing candidates drop out.

What unity has there been in the GOP the past few years?

Can you honestly imagine the German CDP, Israels' Likud or Swedens Social Democrats going through a Tea Party-like revolution?

They would split and form new parties and give voters the choice. That's how a multi-party system works, and that is how it is better than a two-party system.

Gridlock is good, look what happened when one party had unfettered power for just a couple of years they heaped 18,000 pages of new healthcare regulations on us and the deficit when nuclear into trillion dollar territory.

To my mind there is far, far more gridlock in the US legislature than there is in multi-party systems.

How much legislation can a US president get through if his party do not control the Senate and/or Congress?

Whereas in coalition government, legislation is still passed on all but the most contentious issues because it is the interests of all government parties to do so. It's only a deal breaker like gay marriage or a new nuclear power station that might cause a minor coalition partner to resist the major partner.

It would only turn a likely Hillary landslide into a bigger landslide

The impact would not be in Tennessee, Oklahoma, Alabama and Arkansas which are red anyway but in some swing states where 5% of the evangelical vote going third party could swing Hillary

It works fine, Rabbi.

There are occasions where a small party has held the balance of power (giving them choice over which major party forms a government), but those are rare. In most cases it is clear to voters who will work with whom, and they vote accordingly. This also voters to influence the actual makeup of a government in a way that is unthinkable in a two party system. This patently does not occur in primaries, because the losing candidates drop out.

Can you honestly imagine the German CDP, Israels' Likud or Swedens Social Democrats going through a Tea Party-like revolution?

They would split and form new parties and give voters the choice. That's how a multi-party system works, and that is how it is better than a two-party system.
I dont know a case where it works fine. I see what happens in Israel and it's a terrible mess. Wouldnt wish that on anyone.

It works fine, Rabbi.

I dont know a case where it works fine. I see what happens in Israel and it's a terrible mess. Wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Brace yourself. I agree with you on that point.

Oh, I'm sure you don't!

I can think of a dozen that work really effectively, but let's start with:

Germany
Sweden
Denmark
Austria
New Zealand

Oh, I'm sure you don't!

I can think of a dozen that work really effectively, but let's start with:

Germany
Sweden
Denmark
Austria
New Zealand

Uhm, no.

I live in Germany, and the grand coalition that is in power right now is anything but effective.

When you have many splitter parties, in order to get a coalition, you often have to make compromises that are so silly, the everything gets watered down.

A two or, at maximum, three party system is ok with me. Too many splitter parties ruin the sauce.

Yeah what if we discover there is intelligent life on Mars? Is it possible yes but much like the scenario laid out by the OP extremely unlikely.

Agree

Huckabee can't draw the $$$$$

Yeah what if we discover there is intelligent life on Mars? Is it possible yes but much like the scenario laid out by the OP extremely unlikely.

Agree

Huckabee can't draw the $$$$$
Huckabee's not a conservative. He doesnt play particularly well anywhere.
It's more likely that Bernie Sanders will run third party and siphon off the hard left votes, handing the election to Rick Santorum.

Forum List

Back