What I love about the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JenT, Jul 4, 2009.

1. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I've always had an affinity toward God. I think my parents thought i was kind of odd but went along with it. I didn't first meet Him in Sunday school where I was chastised because I didn't understand how to look anything up. I could just sense Him sometimes.

I always considered myself Christian even though I had no clue who He was. The Bible confused me because I couldn't get how behaving like Lot with his daughters (incest) equated to God whenever I tried to read the Bible from cover to cover.

So I dove into my teens and twenties with all the discernment of your average teenager...got into tons of trouble, laughed a lot but inside felt empty and wrong.

Then God exploded into my life after I filed for divorce. Somebody must have been praying for me because I was hounded by Christians dragging me to Bible Study, where I learned that living with my current romance of the month wasn't completely okay with God...

so I sadly put my lifestyle on the shelf and started lining up with what HE said instead of what I wanted...and lo and behold I discovered an indescribable relationship with the Creator of the universe that transends all understanding. A fullness within myself that I couldn't find anywhere else on the planet, a communion with Him, a sense of peace and joy even through crisis and confrontation and kaos. He rocked my world.

And He gave me back a sense of myself that I didn't even realize I lost before. It was like I had been sitting in gutter mud and didn't even know it until He came by and washed me clean, a restoring of my soul.

So many twists and turns my life has been through since then, and He has been my rock.

And now when I read people claiming there is no God, or demands of proof, evidence, "show me", accusations of God, etc., well, how does one explain something as phenomenal as a complete turn around of your life, a restoring, an absolute knowledge of Him who never leaves us? I could write of the miracles I've seen, I could write of the obvious evidence of the Bible and all the prophesies, the miracle of the Bible itself, but unless a person tastes and sees that it is good, unless the call of the Holy Spirit is responded to...

But that God loved me even as I was sinning, that He came for me, that He showed me a better way, that He does that for everyone that comes to the party...that's what I love about God.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    You have to understand that, though interesting, personal anecdotes can't be considered sufficient evidence for the existence of something as significant as a Biblical God. If you look hard enough, I think you'll find that you're solely responsible for turning your life around and that attributing that accomplishment to an unprovable supernatural being only diminishes the significance of what you did. I don't feel inclined to believe that God actively interferes in the affairs of our universe. Wouldn't the need to intervene to solve problems within his own creation imply a lack of foreknowledge on God's part?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Nice. Although I'm sure you have a few self proclaim atheist along shortly to start some bs... I personally cannot imagine life without God/Yah in my life. I have shared many miracles along the way with others. It really makes no difference to me what they may say as I know God rules the hearts of men/women. He can let one know He is their or He can hide Himself. I know that God will send His angels through time and space for those who believe and trust in Him to rescue them. He does walk through the sky and the earth is definitely His footstool. It's a shame that all do not realize that but hey that is life here in the Earth.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    The title of the thread should also include Isaac's brother Ishmael.

As he was 1/2 of the orginal blessing given to Abraham

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Not according to God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob/the Bible & Torah:

2 Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love...

Genesis 22:2

6. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Why? By what authority do you claim to know my life better than I do? And Who the author of it is?

I know what I have seen and touched, I know how I've been healed and Who healed me, I know Who saved my life on a deserted highway and I know Who's ways radically changed my life.

I've seen dramatic evidence of His hand in my life time and time again, but my telling you about it isn't going to open your eyes. That's between you and the Holy Spirit.

But thanks for the feedback :eusa_angel:

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Read your Bible/Torah

Abrahams blessing was for ALL of his offspring.

When Gen 22:2 took place. Isaac was the only son who still lived at home.

Ishmael had already moved out with his mother.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  8. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I think we should look at what God said about it.

God said, "I am the God of Abraham, ISAAC and JACOB."

Jacob having no relation to Ishmael, yet in the geneology of Christ.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God

9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Ishmael was Jacobs uncle

Thus he was a blood relative of Jesus

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  10. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received: