What Hilary can teach Sarah Palin

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
What Hillary Can Teach Sarah Palin - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

A scene at the State Department Friday afternoon is one that the Alaska governor should watch on videotape.

As Sarah Palin’s furious claims of being victimized by David Letterman once again became catnip for cable hosts, a more elevated female narrative was being played out in Washington’s Foggy Bottom. On Friday afternoon, Melanne Verveer, Hillary Clinton’s former East Wing chief of staff and founder of the Vital Voices democracy initiative, was sworn in as ambassador at large for global women's issues by her friend of 25 years, the secretary of State.

Standing in the grand Benjamin Franklin Rooms amidst a sea of some 400 animated guests—most of them unostentatious women of stature and purpose, and many of them mentored at some time or other by Verveer or Hillary—I felt someone should pluck the combustible Alaskan away from whatever rancid talk show she was headed for and make her watch a vignette of what real female power looks like.

Is the secretary of State lugging around a Palin-size grudge about having to play a subservient role to the man who humbled her at the polls?

The scene was a great snapshot of two battle-tested empty nesters, both handsome blown-out blondes in their early 60s, both wearing consummately safe alpha-female pantsuits (Hillary in self-possessed powder blue, her new ambassador in respectful grey), both dedicated policy wonks who worked on behalf of oppressed women in unpronounceable places long before it was fashionable, both mothers (a grandmother in Verveer’s case) with hunky husbands (anchorman-handsome Philip Verveer is a powerful communications lawyer in Washington and soon to be the State Department’s U.S. coordinator for international communications with the rank of ambassador himself). When Melanne raised her hand to take the oath of office, the two women exchanged glances of veiled jubilance.

“There’s so much work to do!” Hillary exclaimed to me in the receiving line, her eyes sparkling at the thought of the impending avalanche of briefing papers heading her way from her new global women’s issues czarina.

Here’s one thing Sarah could learn from Hillary: Cheerfulness is more impressive than resentment. Is the secretary of State lugging around a Palin-size grudge about having to play a subservient role to the man who humbled her at the polls? Doesn’t Clinton have a better reason to resent Obama than Palin has to bang on about Letterman? I mean, if it weren’t for Barack, Hillary would now be president of the United States. How’s that for “hurtful?” Yet the president and his highest-ranking Cabinet officer seem to be getting along like Nick and Nora Charles. Or that‘s how Hillary’s playing it anyhow.

Here’s something Palin could learn from Letterman: Leave the jokes to the comedians. Does anyone believe that Palin really, truly thought Letterman’s sexual joke was about her 14-year-old daughter, Willow, not her 18-year-old, Bristol—who, after all, actually did get knocked up? My reading is she didn't believe it, but she was happy to have you believe it. Happy to have people—too many of them, unfortunately, who only pay attention with one ear—be her target audience.

The governor of Alaska doesn’t object to every wisecrack that relies for its punchline on a mental picture of a Palin daughter having sexual intercourse with an older man, even when the daughter is the one who’s still a minor. Here’s the statement Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton issued after Dave invited the governor and her husband to come on the air with him: “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show. Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.” Just to ensure that her youngest daughter wouldn't enjoy a weekend without embarrassment, Sarah Palin launched into a fresh tirade to CNN's Wolf Blitzer about Letterman's "crude, sexist, perverted joke about a 14-year-old being 'knocked up' by Alex Rodriguez."

Letterman’s joke may not have been his finest hour, but at least he swiftly apologized. Meanwhile, the nation’s hockey mom scores another goal for intellectual dishonesty................

give it a rest. you democwats treated the Clinton's like shit too.. DUmbass! :lol:

give it a rest. you democwats treated the Clinton's like shit too.. DUmbass! :lol:

How do you figure?

you killed yer memory with too much pot didya??? :lol::lol: go back and revist the primaries! :lol:

Hillary and Barack each took 18 million votes in the primaries. Both of them were such great candidates, I didn't care which one of them got in.

It was one of the best campaign seasons in my lifetime. Not even pot could erase it.

A couple of fringe groups emerged but Hillary was simply outspent and out maneuvered but we still have her.

How do you figure?

you killed yer memory with too much pot didya??? :lol::lol: go back and revist the primaries! :lol:

Hillary and Barack each took 18 million votes in the primaries. Both of them were such great candidates, I didn't care which one of them got in.

It was one of the best campaign seasons in my lifetime. Not even pot could erase it.

A couple of fringe groups emerged but Hillary was simply outspent and out maneuvered but we still have her.

don't spain why the democwats treated Hillary like shit,, does it?????

A scene at the State Department Friday afternoon is one that the Alaska governor should watch on videotape.

As Sarah Palin’s furious claims of being victimized by David Letterman ... scores another goal for intellectual dishonesty................

MAN! There's some SWEET IRONY...

There are no furious claims by Sarah Palin regarding her family being Victimized by the intellectually vacuous and thoroughly dishonest left... without regard to the false assertions to the contrary by the lyin' dumbass...

Last edited:
Make no mistake, the Clintons are still quietly seething over the treatment they received at the hands of the Obama operatives and the media.

Racists?

Ah, hell no...

Make no mistake, the Clintons are still quietly seething over the treatment they received at the hands of the Obama operatives and the media.

Racists?

Ah, hell no...

'He's only pissed 'cause his wife is workin' for a black guy...'

Sorry but if you can't communicate what you are talking about here, there's nothing more to be said. Perhaps, that's the way you like it, just throw out some ad hominem and call it a win?

Sorry but if you can't communicate what you are talking about here, there's nothing more to be said. Perhaps, that's the way you like it, just throw out some ad hominem and call it a win?

told ya and told ya.,,revisit the primaries..:eusa_whistle:

As Sarah Palin’s furious claims of being victimized by David Letterman once again became catnip for cable hosts, a more elevated female narrative was being played out in Washington’s Foggy Bottom. On Friday afternoon, Melanne Verveer, Hillary Clinton’s former East Wing chief of staff and founder of the Vital Voices democracy initiative, was sworn in as ambassador at large for global women's issues by her friend of 25 years, the secretary of State.

Standing in the grand Benjamin Franklin Rooms amidst a sea of some 400 animated guests—most of them unostentatious women of stature and purpose, and many of them mentored at some time or other by Verveer or Hillary—I felt someone should pluck the combustible Alaskan away from whatever rancid talk show she was headed for and make her watch a vignette of what real female power looks like.

Is the secretary of State lugging around a Palin-size grudge about having to play a subservient role to the man who humbled her at the polls?

The scene was a great snapshot of two battle-tested empty nesters, both handsome blown-out blondes in their early 60s, both wearing consummately safe alpha-female pantsuits (Hillary in self-possessed powder blue, her new ambassador in respectful grey), both dedicated policy wonks who worked on behalf of oppressed women in unpronounceable places long before it was fashionable, both mothers (a grandmother in Verveer’s case) with hunky husbands (anchorman-handsome Philip Verveer is a powerful communications lawyer in Washington and soon to be the State Department’s U.S. coordinator for international communications with the rank of ambassador himself). When Melanne raised her hand to take the oath of office, the two women exchanged glances of veiled jubilance.

“There’s so much work to do!” Hillary exclaimed to me in the receiving line, her eyes sparkling at the thought of the impending avalanche of briefing papers heading her way from her new global women’s issues czarina.

Here’s one thing Sarah could learn from Hillary: Cheerfulness is more impressive than resentment. Is the secretary of State lugging around a Palin-size grudge about having to play a subservient role to the man who humbled her at the polls? Doesn’t Clinton have a better reason to resent Obama than Palin has to bang on about Letterman? I mean, if it weren’t for Barack, Hillary would now be president of the United States. How’s that for “hurtful?” Yet the president and his highest-ranking Cabinet officer seem to be getting along like Nick and Nora Charles. Or that‘s how Hillary’s playing it anyhow.

Here’s something Palin could learn from Letterman: Leave the jokes to the comedians. Does anyone believe that Palin really, truly thought Letterman’s sexual joke was about her 14-year-old daughter, Willow, not her 18-year-old, Bristol—who, after all, actually did get knocked up? My reading is she didn't believe it, but she was happy to have you believe it. Happy to have people—too many of them, unfortunately, who only pay attention with one ear—be her target audience.

The governor of Alaska doesn’t object to every wisecrack that relies for its punchline on a mental picture of a Palin daughter having sexual intercourse with an older man, even when the daughter is the one who’s still a minor. Here’s the statement Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton issued after Dave invited the governor and her husband to come on the air with him: “The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show. Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.” Just to ensure that her youngest daughter wouldn't enjoy a weekend without embarrassment, Sarah Palin launched into a fresh tirade to CNN's Wolf Blitzer about Letterman's "crude, sexist, perverted joke about a 14-year-old being 'knocked up' by Alex Rodriguez."

Letterman’s joke may not have been his finest hour, but at least he swiftly apologized. Meanwhile, the nation’s hockey mom scores another goal for intellectual dishonesty................

Hillary Clinton teach Sarah Palin ? Heh, at what level would you consider Whitewater "intellectual dishonesty" ?

told ya and told ya.,,revisit the primaries..:eusa_whistle:

This is typical of the Obots...they think if they pretend not to remember...no one else will either.. Kinda like a 2 year old that thinks if they cover their face,and can't see you. That means you can't see them either.:eusa_shhh:

Apparently the OP is ignoring the fact that Hillary did respond to nasty attacks against her daughter (and rightly so). And the attacks were from a lefty Obama loving talking head from MSNBC. Who was suspended for said comments. Remember Obots...one of your pal's calling Chelsea a prostitute who was being "pimped out".

(but then you moonbats probably thought that was a compliment huh).

Clinton: MSNBC Chelsea Remarks 'Incredibly Offensive' - Political News - FOXNews.com

And another thing. No one has the right to tell ANYONE that if they don't wan't their family mocked..don't take them out in public.

Last edited:

While your post is very well written, it's got one HUGE gaping hole in it. If you call that minute long, tongue in cheek, sarcastic and apparently disingenuous ramble an apology, then you obviously belong among all those upity pinky lifters in Washington.

Are you a mother? Would you want you're daughter (reguardless of age) to be the butt of a VERY off color joke? What if it had been Hillary's daughter? Would you be so flippant and glib about it? I seriously doubt it.

You know, what really gets me is the double standards in play here. Instead of supporting a mother who was angry at someone for attacking her daughter, you crucify her for speaking out against a man who very evidently doesn't care one bit about the lack of integrity that should be enforced when rape jokes are fired at an innocent teenager.

But hey...whatever helps you sleep better. I think Hillary could learn a few things from Governor Palin too. I don't hear any stories of Mr. Palin chasing every skirt he sees. Maybe our illustrious secretary of state could learn some wife skills from the governor. If she could ever keep Bill from running around on her all the time, then she'd really be showing us some power.

What???? It's just a little joke. Was it in bad taste? ...yes. I believe that was the apology Letterman gave, wasn't it?

What exactly can Hillary teach her, that the way to be elected to the senate is to be married to a two term POTUS?

Palin has had more sucess then Hillary ever did.

Without Bill Clinton Hillary is a non entity.

Palin is a national figure based on her own accomplishments, not riding the shirt tails of her husband.

Ahhh.... yes.... Hypocrisy is so much better, isn't it? Now why isn't she out there explaining to us how much better qualified she is for the job? Hmmm... Maybe because she is no better qualified?

Hmmm.... So who's paying the most attention here? Oh, and I don't suppose Letterman pays any attention to what's going on BEFORE he puts on his act either, huh?

OOOooohhhh.... goooood one.... Define "swiftly".

You obviously have not been paying attention, this Letterman thing will likely get him fired, sponsers are ditching the show and there is going to be a rally at 4:30 today from many women who are democrat, republican and independent. Even the ladies on the view are pissed off about his comments directed at children. Michelle Pfiefer is going to speak at this rally from what I read. Hillary might be there herself.

Last edited:

Willowtree is the board troll. She can't discuss issues, she just shits and then runs.

You know, what really gets me is the double standards in play here. Instead of supporting a mother who was angry at someone for attacking her daughter, you crucify her for speaking out against a man who very evidently doesn't care one bit about the lack of integrity that should be enforced when rape jokes are fired at an innocent teenager.

That is not what happened.

Forum List

Back