What have the poor done to deserve our support?

What have the poor done to deserve our support?

They provide an example of what happens when you fuck up your life.

We need fewer people on welfare, not more.

Well no shit. Why don't you propose just how it is that these welfare recipients are going to get that working poor job.

Where are the Repubcon "job creators". I mean, what could be better than employing a person with no skills and no education? You only have to pay them minimum wage.

Someoen with no skills isn't worth minimum wage. That's why they're unemployed. Reduce min wage and we can see some job growth. And as people develop skills from their starter job they will earn more.

Now we can see why you are such a rocket scientist

Just what we need to help people escape poverty....slashing wages and benefits

So Rabbi...according to your economic model. If you are paying some guy minimum wage to sweep your floors, if you slash minimum wage you will now hire two guys to sweep your floors

Many restaurant workers do not make minimum wage. They depend on tips.

So Rabbi...according to your economic model. If you are paying some guy minimum wage to sweep your floors, if you slash minimum wage you will now hire two guys to sweep your floors

You really have to wonder why he hasn't left in shame.

I hope you mean Nutwinger. I guess it never occurred to him that if you expect people to work their way up you need to have somewhere they can start. With a high min wage it cuts out lots of starting jobs, like theater ushers and the like, that teenagers typically got back in the 50s, 60s etc. Now there is hardly any way a teenager can get job experience so they are more employable.
We raised the min wage and teenaged unemployment went through the roof. And the Dems want it even higher.

If they need a theater usher they will hire one at minimum wage. Fact is, they don't need them. Jobs are determined by the work that needs to be accomplished. Cutting the minimum wage does not mean you have more work

I hope you mean Nutwinger. I guess it never occurred to him that if you expect people to work their way up you need to have somewhere they can start. With a high min wage it cuts out lots of starting jobs, like theater ushers and the like, that teenagers typically got back in the 50s, 60s etc. Now there is hardly any way a teenager can get job experience so they are more employable.
We raised the min wage and teenaged unemployment went through the roof. And the Dems want it even higher.

If they need a theater usher they will hire one at minimum wage. Fact is, they don't need them. Jobs are determined by the work that needs to be accomplished. Cutting the minimum wage does not mean you have more work

Raising the minimum wage is why we no longer have theater ushers, or gas station attendants. We got self serve gas stations when the minimum wage made it cost effective. We used to have a LOT of entry level jobs for kids that the minimum wage got rid of. Remember the paper boy?

Raising the minimum wage is why we no longer have theater ushers, or gas station attendants. We got self serve gas stations when the minimum wage made it cost effective. We used to have a LOT of entry level jobs for kids that the minimum wage got rid of. Remember the paper boy?

We still have "Paper boys" they drive cars though.

AG migrant workers are exempt from the minimum wage law.

Umm doesn't Orygun still have gas station attendents?

Theaters do not even have a guy running the projector anymore. They don't have theater ushers because they don't make money on them. What they make money on is popcorn........that's where the minimum wage jobs are

You don't have someone pumping your gas because there is no money in it. The money is in selling cigarettes, lottery tickets and slurpies inside

Last edited:
In frequent threads here the brain-dead leftists moan about how the "idle rich" (like there is such a thing) don't deserve their money. But look at the other side. The poor in this country enjoy a lifestyle envied by even middle class people in most of the world. What have they done to deserve this? The idlest of the idle rich invest money and help other hard working people get ahead. The poor simply absorb tax payer funding and have babies.
Very logical question, which I can not answer, so I will read on the thread
:clap2:

They live. So they deserve our support.

And I emphasize, they deserve our support. Let's take back our charity from the government and resume our duties to lift our fellow man.

"What have the poor done to deserve our support?"

They built and maintain this Nation. Do rich people do anything besides go to "meetings"?
I think he is referring to people on welfare poor, he even mentioned middle class (usually those who work, but I understand not always) being jealouse of the poor in some cases

You send all your factories over seas to china to work their people to death. Instead of building new ones hear. You use old decrepit refiners instead of investing in new ones. You insist on using oil and coal when their are cleaner more environmental friendly ways of doing things.
You have some good points in the rest of your post, but I will respond to the portion I quoted: who is this 'you' that elects imbeciles who waste trillions of dollars? and are the poor brain dead? and I will answer the question: no they are not, but when they will see the leader, they will recognize and unite behind him, and then the real change will take place, which will eliminate poverty (scarry thing for some rich).... stay tuned.

Last edited:
If we didn't have the poor, who else would conservatives blame for our economic problems?

The single accomplishment of the conservative movement has been to convince millions of weak minded individuals that selfishness, greed, and hate of the poor are good Christian values.

They built and maintain this Nation. Do rich people do anything besides go to "meetings"?

I think he was talking about those on welfare that choose to sit on there asses on welfare and do not even bother to look for work. Not the poor who look for work and are just having a hard time finding it.
I'll answer the question, those who choose to sit on their asses and not help themselves do not deserve the help of others. Those that at least try to find work and do better for themselves deserve our help to get them on their feet.

And how many of those types do you think there are? Let's see...ONCE AGAIN... we have a real unemployment number(including those that gave up) of 12-15%.

So at the high end... that's 60 million people....let's break that down, shall we?

How many are disabled?

How many are just temporarily receiving benefits?

How many are REALLY working the system?

I think he was talking about those on welfare that choose to sit on there asses on welfare and do not even bother to look for work. Not the poor who look for work and are just having a hard time finding it.
I'll answer the question, those who choose to sit on their asses and not help themselves do not deserve the help of others. Those that at least try to find work and do better for themselves deserve our help to get them on their feet.

And how many of those types do you think there are? Let's see...ONCE AGAIN... we have a real unemployment number(including those that gave up) of 12-15%.

So at the high end... that's 60 million people....let's break that down, shall we?

How many are disabled?

I dont know. ANd it doesnt matter.
What matters is we have a very large number of people who think a gov't check is a reasonable alternative to finding work. And our system has fostered that belief. We need to reform the system (not just welfare) to make it possible fr people to enter the workforce and stay there and advance.

Someoen with no skills isn't worth minimum wage. That's why they're unemployed. Reduce min wage and we can see some job growth. And as people develop skills from their starter job they will earn more.

One needs that capacity to begin with.

Sociopathic personalities don't.

How many are disabled?

What matters is we have a very large number of people who think a gov't check is a reasonable alternative to finding work. And our system has fostered that belief. We need to reform the system (not just welfare) to make it possible fr people to enter the workforce and stay there and advance.

I happen to agree with Rabbi

Welfare needs to provide two things. A safety net and a path out.

While conservatives rant about how the safety net allows the poor to live in the lap of luxury with flat screen TVs, microwave ovens and cell phones, most poor live in bad neighborhoods with bad schools and few job prospects

As to a path out....that's where it gets tricky. We need to provide good schools, jobs related training, low cost childcare and jobs programs that not only provide a foot in the door but some type of career path

Most importantly, the poor need to do more to help themselves. Low marriage rates, fractured family structures, teenaged pregnancy all help to ensure they do not escape poverty

How many are disabled?

I happen to agree with Rabbi

Welfare needs to provide two things. A safety net and a path out.

While conservatives rant about how the safety net allows the poor to live in the lap of luxury with flat screen TVs, microwave ovens and cell phones, most poor live in bad neighborhoods with bad schools and few job prospects

As to a path out....that's where it gets tricky. We need to provide good schools, jobs related training, low cost childcare and jobs programs that not only provide a foot in the door but some type of career path

Most importantly, the poor need to do more to help themselves. Low marriage rates, fractured family structures, teenaged pregnancy all help to ensure they do not escape poverty

And poverty programs all support and reward exactly those things you correctly identify as keeping people in poverty.
Maybe htis is a breakthrough.

What do the poor have to do to deserve our support?

You're question, at its core, is unbelievably asinine.

Forum List

Back