What Happens When Americans Find Out At End Of The Day They Are Still Going To Catch COVID-19?

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I will get it. If I'm lucky...I won't. I'm 65 so there is a good chance I'll get pretty sick when I do get it and I hope to God that the healthcare system isn't overwhelmed and that it doesn't bankrupt me

Virus, yes but the damage... no...

What damage will continue, specifically?

Many businesses like mom and pops shops will be damaged by this and yes they have insurance and there will be bailouts but long term unemployment will happen.

Also many people will take time before they start going out to restaurants, events and so on and the loss revenue from that will be felt for months after the virus has left.

America and the World is not going to just start right back up where it left off and even though I agree we should move our manufacturing back many countries rely on products from us and will not be buying for awhile, so again the damage will take time.

So if you believe the U.S. and World Economy will start back up and flow easily in 90 days then I have to disagree with you because it will not.

The damage from the World Shutdown will take longer than that...

I appreciate the discourse, but I totally disagree. This will be no worse than a bad flu season and the globe is overreacting.

Complete hysteria and ridiculous overreacting.

Flu has a treatment and is ~20 times less lethal. Hospitalization rate for flu is 0.06%, for corovonovirus it is 15-20%.

To say this virus is "like flu" is to not understand this fundamental difference.

Shutdowns buy us time so we don't overload healthcare system before the treatment arrives. If we fail, we are looking at a scenario of half a million people dying this year from COVID-19.

Thank you doctor. We know the final rates of infection and death? Wow. That’s fucking amazing, what’s your source?
The Onion( organic/gluten free)

Im not afraid of it. Neither is my family.
You do what you want but please don’t harm the rest of us by your actions.

I'll do whatever I want. Im not afraid and cowering like you are. Whats happening right now will be the least of your worries.

All I’m saying is that you shouldn’t harm others by your choice in actions.

I would never intentionally harm others if I were to get this virus.

Intentionally is the sticking point. We are also trying to get people from unintentionally harming others. If one ignores the recommendations and winds up unintentionally spreading it to the population, is it still unintentional?

I have no problem with that either as I am cautious also. The problem I have is govt forcing businesses to close.

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives. .

Yeah, I read that too. Many of those infected I have read about say symptoms were 'mild', some showed no signs....Declaring what WILL happen is speculation, granted based on what has happened in other countries....
Many survive. Two percent die.

If "everyone is going to get it", do that math.

327,200,000 x .02 = ???

Go ahead.

my question at this point is -

what is the cost of letting this run it's course
vs
what is the cost of hiding from it in hopes we're simply buying time so few can afford

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives.

If we distance and slow spread, even if there are the same number of cases overall, then the medial system isn’t overwhelmed at any one point in time and potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives.

This is the key, our system is not prepared for massive numbers country wide. Already they are short medical personnel in the places most hard hit. My daughter was contacted by a recruiter for a traveling nurse company offer huge money for a 13 week detail.

Most hospitals have trouble staffing enough nurses on a regular basis as they keep their payroll so low thanks to the damage from ObamaCare.

The offers for traveling nurses have been outrageous. I’ve seen them offering salaries competitive with some physicians.

I don’t think people realize that hospitals already operate mostly at capacity. Excess capacity reduces profit and can sink a hospital system. There’s not nearly as much wiggle room as we need.

There is just about no wiggle room. My wife got off work 2.5 hours late Monday night because a single nurse called in and they had no one to take her team.

The nurse to patient ratio has been growing for years as hospitals try and cut cost.

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives. .

Yeah, I read that too. Many of those infected I have read about say symptoms were 'mild', some showed no signs....Declaring what WILL happen is speculation, granted based on what has happened in other countries....
Many survive. Two percent die.

If "everyone is going to get it", do that math.

327,200,000 x .02 = ???

Go ahead.
And 20% are going to be hospitalized...do THAT math

Government-Imposed / Enforced Shelter-In-Place

Government-Imposed Economic Shutdown (Closure of almost all businesses)

Government-Imposed Unemployment (millions losing their jobs due to closure of businesses)

Government-Facilitated Stock Market Plunge (Above decisions and more causing fear in Market)

Imposed Social Distancing as justification to prevent the spread of COVID-19.....

ALL of this.....AND YOU'RE GOING TO WIND UP GETTING COVID-19 ANYWAY. IS / WAS IT WORTH IT?

Questioning the Clampdown
Will people lose faith when they find out they are expected to get the virus anyway?

Opinion | Questioning the Clampdown

'Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections. After a time, recurrent outbreaks will be moderated by a large number of potential carriers who have immunity from their last infection.

And then we can ask some questions. The cost to Americans of the economic shutdown is vast. What are they getting for their money? Essentially less excess demand for respiratory ventilators and other emergency care than can currently be supplied.

This demand will come largely from the elderly and chronically ill, who would be competing for these resources with the usual large number of old and ill people already suffering from acute respiratory distress as a result of routine flu and cold infections. A silver lining will be fewer cold and flu victims overall thanks to social distancing to fight Covid-19.

Some number of respiratory deaths will be avoided (really delayed since we all die) but we’ll be spending a lot more than we’ve ever been willing to spend before to avoid flu deaths. Eighty-three percent of our economy will be suppressed to relieve pressure on the 17% represented by health care. This will have to last months, not weeks, to modulate the rate at which a critical mass of 330 million get infected and acquire natural immunity.

Will people put up with it once they realize they are still expected to get the virus?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to pour resources into isolating the vulnerable rather than isolating everyone?

Basically aren’t we really just praying that summer will naturally suppress transmission and get us off the hook of an untenable policy?'

Yeah, you go ahead.

Rational people understand that isolation is imperative: the less people infected and not clustered in bars and buses; in elevators and at rallies, concerts and ball games, will not become infected and fill the ER's and overrun hospitals all across America.

Research is on going, and has been in effect for a vaccine well before WHO stated Covid-19 had reached the level of a pandemic. Today Trump finally issued this order:

Heeding calls for action, Trump invokes Defense Production Act

This could have been done weeks and weeks ago. as indicated in the link. Let's all hope this is not too late for too many people.
you know, I like how you haven't a fking clue about running a country of 320 million and commerce in the trillions. It is truly amazing you think one can just shut something down because it might work. on has to weigh the information available and meet with experts on the next best steps. For you to think that trump is the only fking person working this is truly showing everyone how fking stupid you really are.

Government-Imposed Unemployment (millions losing their jobs due to closure of businesses)

Government-Facilitated Stock Market Plunge (Above decisions and more causing fear in Market)

Imposed Social Distancing as justification to prevent the spread of COVID-19.....

ALL of this.....AND YOU'RE GOING TO WIND UP GETTING COVID-19 ANYWAY. IS / WAS IT WORTH IT?

Will people lose faith when they find out they are expected to get the virus anyway?

'Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections. After a time, recurrent outbreaks will be moderated by a large number of potential carriers who have immunity from their last infection.

And then we can ask some questions. The cost to Americans of the economic shutdown is vast. What are they getting for their money? Essentially less excess demand for respiratory ventilators and other emergency care than can currently be supplied.

This demand will come largely from the elderly and chronically ill, who would be competing for these resources with the usual large number of old and ill people already suffering from acute respiratory distress as a result of routine flu and cold infections. A silver lining will be fewer cold and flu victims overall thanks to social distancing to fight Covid-19.

Some number of respiratory deaths will be avoided (really delayed since we all die) but we’ll be spending a lot more than we’ve ever been willing to spend before to avoid flu deaths. Eighty-three percent of our economy will be suppressed to relieve pressure on the 17% represented by health care. This will have to last months, not weeks, to modulate the rate at which a critical mass of 330 million get infected and acquire natural immunity.

Will people put up with it once they realize they are still expected to get the virus?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to pour resources into isolating the vulnerable rather than isolating everyone?

Basically aren’t we really just praying that summer will naturally suppress transmission and get us off the hook of an untenable policy?'

Sweat it out or die.
It's real simple.

vs
what is the cost of hiding from it in hopes we're simply buying time so few can afford

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives.

If we distance and slow spread, even if there are the same number of cases overall, then the medial system isn’t overwhelmed at any one point in time and potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives.

This is the key, our system is not prepared for massive numbers country wide. Already they are short medical personnel in the places most hard hit. My daughter was contacted by a recruiter for a traveling nurse company offer huge money for a 13 week detail.

Most hospitals have trouble staffing enough nurses on a regular basis as they keep their payroll so low thanks to the damage from ObamaCare.

The offers for traveling nurses have been outrageous. I’ve seen them offering salaries competitive with some physicians.

I don’t think people realize that hospitals already operate mostly at capacity. Excess capacity reduces profit and can sink a hospital system. There’s not nearly as much wiggle room as we need.

There is just about no wiggle room. My wife got off work 2.5 hours late Monday night because a single nurse called in and they had no one to take her team.

The nurse to patient ratio has been growing for years as hospitals try and cut cost.

Wife? Yea right. You mean the girl you tip at Cafe Risqué?

Gainesville joke for those not in the know

Yeah, you go ahead.

Rational people understand that isolation is imperative: the less people infected and not clustered in bars and buses; in elevators and at rallies, concerts and ball games, will not become infected and fill the ER's and overrun hospitals all across America.

Research is on going, and has been in effect for a vaccine well before WHO stated Covid-19 had reached the level of a pandemic. Today Trump finally issued this order:

Heeding calls for action, Trump invokes Defense Production Act

This could have been done weeks and weeks ago. as indicated in the link. Let's all hope this is not too late for too many people.

Biull crap. The shutdowns are far more sinister and nefarious.

You go ahead, mingle in crowds and then visit your elderly relatives, I'm sure they will appreciate your attention.
giphy.gif

You do what you want but please don’t harm the rest of us by your actions.

I'll do whatever I want. Im not afraid and cowering like you are. Whats happening right now will be the least of your worries.

Intentionally is the sticking point. We are also trying to get people from unintentionally harming others. If one ignores the recommendations and winds up unintentionally spreading it to the population, is it still unintentional?

I have no problem with that either as I am cautious also. The problem I have is govt forcing businesses to close.
Even if those businesses remaining open harms others?

vs

Is that place still there?

They cannot harm anyone that does not go to them. Let me make that decision, not the government.

Is that place still there?

It is! Don’t know how all of this is affecting it.

They cannot harm anyone that does not go to them. Let me make that decision, not the government.
Sure they can. The people that go to the locations and contract the disease will spread it further and further.

Forum List

Back