What Happens When Americans Find Out At End Of The Day They Are Still Going To Catch COVID-19?

I must admit I’m not worried about the virus, but I cannot chance my two most valuable people in my life to get sick my wife and little girl. Daddy loves you [emoji3590]
2abae12fdb56a7acc143cbc6607ee119.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virus, yes but the damage... no...

What damage will continue, specifically?

Many businesses like mom and pops shops will be damaged by this and yes they have insurance and there will be bailouts but long term unemployment will happen.

Also many people will take time before they start going out to restaurants, events and so on and the loss revenue from that will be felt for months after the virus has left.

America and the World is not going to just start right back up where it left off and even though I agree we should move our manufacturing back many countries rely on products from us and will not be buying for awhile, so again the damage will take time.

So if you believe the U.S. and World Economy will start back up and flow easily in 90 days then I have to disagree with you because it will not.

The damage from the World Shutdown will take longer than that...

I appreciate the discourse, but I totally disagree. This will be no worse than a bad flu season and the globe is overreacting.

Complete hysteria and ridiculous overreacting.

Flu has a treatment and is ~20 times less lethal. Hospitalization rate for flu is 0.06%, for corovonovirus it is 15-20%.

To say this virus is "like flu" is to not understand this fundamental difference.

Shutdowns buy us time so we don't overload healthcare system before the treatment arrives. If we fail, we are looking at a scenario of half a million people dying this year from COVID-19.

Thank you doctor. We know the final rates of infection and death? Wow. That’s fucking amazing, what’s your source?

Doctor? I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone with a functional brain who pays attention to wtf is going on.

Coronovirus is far more deadly and leads to far more hospitalizations than your regular flu, if you don't even know such basic things then you seriously need to reconsider where you get your news.

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

CDC analysis shows coronavirus poses serious risk for younger people

I must admit I’m not worried about the virus, but I cannot chance my two most valuable people in my life to get sick my wife and little girl. Daddy loves you [emoji3590]
2abae12fdb56a7acc143cbc6607ee119.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

?? Coronovirus is primarily deadly for old people. 0-9 year olds have almost no cases of complications.

Van Hollen doing a call in with the CNN doctor lady and all she can say is “maybe....if......we have to wait and see.....in the worst case scenario....it’s hard to distinguish from flu” (perhaps because it’s a lot like it) andnon specific stuff like that
America is shut down over a huge supposition . That is freedom robbing and wrong.

Government-Imposed / Enforced Shelter-In-Place

Government-Imposed Economic Shutdown (Closure of almost all businesses)

Government-Imposed Unemployment (millions losing their jobs due to closure of businesses)

Government-Facilitated Stock Market Plunge (Above decisions and more causing fear in Market)

Imposed Social Distancing as justification to prevent the spread of COVID-19.....

ALL of this.....AND YOU'RE GOING TO WIND UP GETTING COVID-19 ANYWAY. IS / WAS IT WORTH IT?

Questioning the Clampdown
Will people lose faith when they find out they are expected to get the virus anyway?

Opinion | Questioning the Clampdown

'Experts now agree the virus’s spread can be slowed but not contained. It will take its place among mostly seasonal respiratory infections. After a time, recurrent outbreaks will be moderated by a large number of potential carriers who have immunity from their last infection.

And then we can ask some questions. The cost to Americans of the economic shutdown is vast. What are they getting for their money? Essentially less excess demand for respiratory ventilators and other emergency care than can currently be supplied.

This demand will come largely from the elderly and chronically ill, who would be competing for these resources with the usual large number of old and ill people already suffering from acute respiratory distress as a result of routine flu and cold infections. A silver lining will be fewer cold and flu victims overall thanks to social distancing to fight Covid-19.

Some number of respiratory deaths will be avoided (really delayed since we all die) but we’ll be spending a lot more than we’ve ever been willing to spend before to avoid flu deaths. Eighty-three percent of our economy will be suppressed to relieve pressure on the 17% represented by health care. This will have to last months, not weeks, to modulate the rate at which a critical mass of 330 million get infected and acquire natural immunity.

Will people put up with it once they realize they are still expected to get the virus?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to pour resources into isolating the vulnerable rather than isolating everyone?

Basically aren’t we really just praying that summer will naturally suppress transmission and get us off the hook of an untenable policy?'

Did we not already know that?

I think they've made it pretty clear.

Many businesses like mom and pops shops will be damaged by this and yes they have insurance and there will be bailouts but long term unemployment will happen.

Also many people will take time before they start going out to restaurants, events and so on and the loss revenue from that will be felt for months after the virus has left.

America and the World is not going to just start right back up where it left off and even though I agree we should move our manufacturing back many countries rely on products from us and will not be buying for awhile, so again the damage will take time.

So if you believe the U.S. and World Economy will start back up and flow easily in 90 days then I have to disagree with you because it will not.

I appreciate the discourse, but I totally disagree. This will be no worse than a bad flu season and the globe is overreacting.

Flu has a treatment and is ~20 times less lethal. Hospitalization rate for flu is 0.06%, for corovonovirus it is 15-20%.

To say this virus is "like flu" is to not understand this fundamental difference.

Shutdowns buy us time so we don't overload healthcare system before the treatment arrives. If we fail, we are looking at a scenario of half a million people dying this year from COVID-19.

Thank you doctor. We know the final rates of infection and death? Wow. That’s fucking amazing, what’s your source?

Doctor? I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone with a functional brain who pays attention to wtf is going on.

Coronovirus is far more deadly and leads to far more hospitalizations than your regular flu, if you don't even know such basic things then you seriously need to reconsider where you get your news.

This, like the whole damn thing is worst case projection and speculation.
Let’s shut down America over What Is rather than What If. So far the What Is are largely absent other than the numbers and outcomes can’t even come close to everyday pnemonia cases and it looks a lot like the flu rather than an insidious infecter and killer of mankind
We just don’t know is a Bullshit reason for putting America on lockdown while we wait on the What Ifs to sort out.

The statistics indicate the Kung Flu is less serious than the "Seasonal Flu."

numbers-3-18-600x240.jpg

All I’m saying is that you shouldn’t harm others by your choice in actions.

I would never intentionally harm others if I were to get this virus.

Intentionally is the sticking point. We are also trying to get people from unintentionally harming others. If one ignores the recommendations and winds up unintentionally spreading it to the population, is it still unintentional?

I have no problem with that either as I am cautious also. The problem I have is govt forcing businesses to close.
Even if those businesses remaining open harms others?

They cannot harm anyone that does not go to them. Let me make that decision, not the government.

Exactly

Regarding the ridiculous criticism of President Trump and this administration over failure regarding test kits:

'Even the fuss over testing is a bit overdone. Nowhere in the world has there been enough testing to detect most coronavirus cases amid millions of seasonal colds and flu cases. This problem exists in China, Europe and the U.S. A British estimate is that 12 people have the virus for every one found by testing. In any case, testing becomes a tad mootish now if the goal is to isolate even young and healthy people.'

I start feeling bad - I take the steps to get tested - I am told to self-quarantine while I wait for test result (which I was doing, like all of us already) - I get a call telling me I tested 'positive' for COVID-19 - I am told to remain quarantined....and if I start getting worse to call / come in to be treated....

If I start feeling bad - I could remain self-quarantined, stay home - and if I start feeling really bad contact my health care / go in....without all businesses being closed, without millions being out of work to protect the most vulnerable (79.5yo with pre-existing respiratory or immune deficiency issues), and without $1 trillion being spent to stop the spread of a virus everyone is expected to get anyway.....

The Test Kit confirms I am sick with COVID-19 instead of just the FLU....

Wash your hands thoroughly frequently
Don't touch surfaces and then touch your eyes / nose / mouth when out
Sneeze into the crook of your arm
'Social Distancing' / Limit interaction in large groups (Don't hang out with sick people r those who might be)
Eat Healthy
Get Enough Sleep

....and you're probably still going to end up getting it.

Even worse. You start feeling bad, get the test and self quarantine. You find it is negative. You go to the store for supplies and get infected 30 minutes after getting the result. Are we to get tested daily?

The media has created a frenzy. We will all likely get this virus at some point.

Virus, yes but the damage... no...

Death toll part yes but remember States are closing and States like California have stated even Schools might stay close until Summer School or June which mean economic slow down.

So I am not saying many will die from Coronavirus but the fallout, the economic collapse and the time to fix it will take time and three months is not long enough to get the entire World back online again...

China flattened its infection rate and I suspect we will see the same. We will be back to business as usual very soon. Why don’t we freak out and stay home during flu season?

Exactly.... And the answer is that it's not as easy to politicize as this is.

Jo

If your going to play politics with this virus, as Trump tried to do in late February at a rally, then how does that inspire people confidence in the government when obvious financial issues will have to be addressed along with medical issues

He blamed the press for acting hysterically about the virus,
he downplayed its dangers, saying against expert opinion it was on par with the flu.

“The Democrats are politicizing the corona virus" yet here he is at a campaign rally politicizing it

even claiming that it was the new hoax by the democrats

So here he is placing blame instead of inspiring confidence that the government can handle this issue

If the goal is to have everyone catch this virus, then wow I would have thought the goal was to limit it and gain control of the situation.

Its going to affect the economy and the government will have to deal with it

it will affect individuals health and their financial well being and it will have to be dealt with

people expect the government to do something about it that will make a difference and not just place blame or use the opportunity to push political agenda's

Yes..... these questions will no doubt plague Trump through the entire four years of his next term.

Jo

my question at this point is -

what is the cost of letting this run it's course
vs
what is the cost of hiding from it in hopes we're simply buying time so few can afford

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives.

If we distance and slow spread, even if there are the same number of cases overall, then the medial system isn’t overwhelmed at any one point in time and potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives.
Hundreds of thousands? Really? How many have died so far worldwide?

Nearly 500 people in Italy died yesterday.

But it’s not just Coronavirus. If the medical system is swamped with those cases, people needing medical care for other issues will have a harder time getting it.
Without panic, most people who contract the virus get over it quickly and don't need medical attention. With panic, they flood the system for every sniffle.
We aren’t talking about people with sniffles swamping the system with every sniffle. We are talking about people with respiratory failure and requiring ICU admissions. That’s who is going to overwhelm the system.

Since the vast majority of those with the virus could literally take a day off and get over it, under non panic situations the system would not be flooded. Under panic situations, however, an allergy attack could easily be seen as symptomatic of the virus and people will flood the ERs, certain they're going to die.

Buying time is crucial. If we didn’t take measures to slow spread, we would crush the medial system, as is the case in Italy. It would be shorter, but devastating to lives.

If we distance and slow spread, even if there are the same number of cases overall, then the medial system isn’t overwhelmed at any one point in time and potentially save hundreds of thousands of lives.
Hundreds of thousands? Really? How many have died so far worldwide?

Nearly 500 people in Italy died yesterday.

But it’s not just Coronavirus. If the medical system is swamped with those cases, people needing medical care for other issues will have a harder time getting it.
Without panic, most people who contract the virus get over it quickly and don't need medical attention. With panic, they flood the system for every sniffle.
We aren’t talking about people with sniffles swamping the system with every sniffle. We are talking about people with respiratory failure and requiring ICU admissions. That’s who is going to overwhelm the system.

Since the vast majority of those with the virus could literally take a day off and get over it, under non panic situations the system would not be flooded. Under panic situations, however, an allergy attack could easily be seen as symptomatic of the virus and people will flood the ERs, certain they're going to die.

Simply incorrect. Although the vast majority of cases do not need medical attention, enough cases require hospitalization (estimates vary, up to 10-20%) that it would sample the system if the virus spread uninhibited by the measures we are now taking.

This, like the whole damn thing is worst case projection and speculation.

In a professional world that is called PLANNING and making EDUCATED CHOICES to avoid TOTAL CLUSTERFUCK.

Maybe you want us to sit on our hands and watch America become worse than Italy 2.0 but few others do.

Last edited:
The statistics indicate the Kung Flu is less serious than the "Seasonal Flu."

numbers-3-18-600x240.jpg

Ok dummy, you go ahead and tell China and Italy that "it's no worse then flu" :rolleyes:

Coronovirus only started showing up in US at the end of February and it's spread is still limited, meaning we can still do something about it. What your data is missing is HOSPITALIZATION RATES combined with the fact that unlike rregular flu THERE IS NO TREATMENT, so the stay is longer, more likely to be fatal. This will easily overwhelm our healthcare system and when it does the death rates will go into double digits.

Forum List

Back