What Happens if they Shut Down the Government?

`What happens if they shut down the government?' .....WOW! Geez...lemme think a minute. Well... first of all, you know those smug-looking bastards who sit in government bureaus behind desks pushing paperwork around several hours a day, and get paid those outrageous salaries? Well...that smug look will be replaced by some pretty serious worry lines when they go looking for work in the private sector!

And you know those smart-mouthed buttwipes who sit behind those barred or unbreakable plastic barriers in offices like the SS department...or the DMV's? You know the ones...with those dead-pan expressions who know everything except the answer to the question `you' pose to them? Well...they'll have to come out from behind those protective shields and actually deal with people face to face, without those armed guards standing around all over the place to keep them from getting a broken nose, by someone they're supposed to SERVE...instead of snottin' off at!

Oh and...the people in both Houses of Congress? They'll have to go back to their home state and learn to live on that lousy $175,000 per year they try to `scrape by on', and `make do' without all that `insider trading' info they get rich on. You know...the `insider trading info' THEY get to enrich themselves with legally, but put any of US in prison for using?

And then, of course, there's the public employee assholes who get all bent out of shape when you remind them that you are one of the many who pay them to do what they do, and they tell you ...`well...I pay taxes the same as you!' Only they don't really. Because every single penny they get in their paycheck is OUR money, and whatever `taxes' they pay out of it is nothing but a refund to the public coffers from whence it came! Let them live on `nothing' for awhile, and see how they get by!

`What happens if they shut down the government'? Geez...the possibilities are endless!

By the way......................don't forget that in addition to those smug public employee assholes who will get bent out of shape, there are also those other government employees who will continue to work without pay and continue to put their asses on the line.

They're called the U.S. Military.

If the government shuts down, the military will have to continue to do their jobs. I lived through it back in the 90's when it happened (was stationed in Newport RI the last time) and had to keep working even though they'd told the civilian workers they were furloughed, and also had to keep showing up at work even though we weren't getting paid for 3 weeks.

Does the GOP really support the troops? Not if they shut down the government.

It really sucks to have to keep working when you have no idea when you are going to be paid again.

Well, if they shut down the government, several things will happen....................

Number one is that the civilian government workers will be sent home to sit it out because they cannot be paid.

Number two is that the military will continue to work (without pay) because they signed a contract stating that they would serve the nation no matter what (I know about that, because I was on active duty the last time they shut down the government and it sucked to be in the military at that time. Navy Relief was called upon to help out for the active duty members who had to pay rent and other things at the time, matter of fact, I had to ask for an extension on my rent because of it for 24 days).

Number three is that military retirees (of which I am one) will not receive their government pensions until the government is restarted.

Number four? The GOP will be voted out of their seats because they were stupid in 2014.

Some of it depends on the circumstances. There is a deadweight loss of about $2 billion for the cost of restarting the budget apparatus, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Every day that retirees, active duty military, furloughed employees, and suppliers to the government go unpaid creates not only hardship for those people, it causes a degradation of the capacity to operate the government long term and raises the long term costs.

For example, suppose you are a little company that converts older airliners to tankers to fight wildfires. You have a contract with the government for delivery of six aircraft in November for a few million bucks and the planes are about ready to go, thanks to your friendly banker who lent you a few million to buy the planes and convert them based on the government contract. Now you get a call that the deal is suspended. You want to guess what your conversation with the banker is going to be like? How much will you factor in the next bid to cover the cost of these delays? As Everett Dirksen was fond of saying, a billion here and a billion there eventually can add up to real money. A 0.5% cost increase on a couple trillion dollars per year is $10 billion a year, forever.

Of course the next winning bid might well be a Hong Kong company doing rehabs in Sarawak owned by the Peoples Liberation Army, after all American bidders have been put out of business; but what the hell, the PLAs money is just as good for Congressional campaigns as any other. Money is now the most secret and fungible commodity in the political world and nobody gives a shit where it is coming from.

When is Congress going to stop using Federal Employees as whipping boys because they can't do their job?

Apparently you missed the memo from Reagan. All government employees are worthless swine, pimples on the butt of private enterprise, producing nothing and leaching wealth from producers. We don't need no stinking government employees, except for the NSA. Oh, and the guys who give out the defense contracts to our noble job-creators.

When is Congress going to stop using Federal Employees as whipping boys because they can't do their job?

Apparently you missed the memo from Reagan. All government employees are worthless swine, pimples on the butt of private enterprise, producing nothing and leaching wealth from producers. We don't need no stinking government employees, except for the NSA. Oh, and the guys who give out the defense contracts to our noble job-creators.

Both done by a Dem-led Admin, btw
:eusa_shhh:

Well, if they shut down the government, several things will happen....................

Number one is that the civilian government workers will be sent home to sit it out because they cannot be paid.

Number two is that the military will continue to work (without pay) because they signed a contract stating that they would serve the nation no matter what (I know about that, because I was on active duty the last time they shut down the government and it sucked to be in the military at that time. Navy Relief was called upon to help out for the active duty members who had to pay rent and other things at the time, matter of fact, I had to ask for an extension on my rent because of it for 24 days).

Number three is that military retirees (of which I am one) will not receive their government pensions until the government is restarted.

Number four? The GOP will be voted out of their seats because they were stupid in 2014.

As long as I get mine?

Yeah sure.......................tell me again how much the GOP supports the military, especially when they are trying to stop their paychecks.

Both done by a Dem-led Admin, btw
:eusa_shhh:

Government corruption is the original equal opportunity endeavor.

As long as I get mine?

No 4 will happen, and the Dems will run wild, because Harry R will throw out the 60 vote law in the Senate to shut off debate.

If it is shut down, not only will you have government workers on the rise, but the active duty military as well as those who are retired.

We defended you for what? So that you could shut down our benefits for some bullshit political grandstand?

then again, if the wasteful spending democrats would ever compromise and listen to some much needed cuts, the republicans would have to play hard ball to point out that you can't continue to spend more than you make. you would think the democrats would have lessons learned from the crash of 2008 when banks and business did just that. when home owners did just that. the results were disasterous. but no, the ythink they can continue with wastefull spending and shaking down an already worn to the nub middle class for more.

Cruz and his supporters are jerks. 80% of Americans, more than half who don't care for BHO, know the TeaPs are at fault, period, and they will punish the GOP if it continues to let the reactionaries of the far right control the next week.

Yeah sure.......................tell me again how much the GOP supports the military, especially when they are trying to stop their paychecks.

:cuckoo: the House passed a spending bill keeping the gov open, the democrat-led Senate kicked it back because of a law that a vast majority of Americans oppose....Neither you nor I are going to get paid after 1 Oct because of this childishness....

It will be a major disaster and wreck the country and destroy life as we know just like the sequester cuts did. Oh wait nothing like that happened with the sequester despite all the hysteria leading up to them.

You can't be pro-business AND pro-government shutdown.

If there is a government shutdown, it will send a signal to the world that America is no longer reliable when it comes to her word, enshrined in the Constitution, that no matter what her debt, she'll always make the payments on it.

We lose valuable tourism dollars when things like national parks and historic sites are closed.

Our companies lose value as the stock market drops to reflect the anxiety that investors have about even dealing with anything American.

Our Constitution explicitly states that our debt "shall not be questioned".

So if you're going to shut things down because you can't get 100% of what you want on matters of the debt, you're not a real patriot to America's ideals; you're just a false and hypocritical prophet.

Obamacare is the law. This President won both elections in electoral landslides. This issue is now closed. Obama won. Romney and Ryan's plan did not. House Republicans can take the unpatriotic act of shutting down our system of governing if they want, but they're losers for doing it. All because they're scared of Obamacare's growing popularity now that many states are seeing the benefits from the healthcare exchanges.

Funding for military pay is included in the continuing resolution

Yeah, cause GOP finally saw the light!

the GOP has always included the military in any continuing resolution.

Really? Are you sure about that?

I seem to remember serving in the U.S. Navy up in Newport RI when they decided to shut down the government in the late 90's, and not only did we NOT get paid for 24 days, but I also remember counseling members of my service about how Navy Relief would help, but also told them about how they could tell their bill collectors that they would get their money (because we'd be paid in full when the government decided that we could restart the government again), and we would honor our debts.

I remember telling my landlord about it, and they decided that because of the situation, I could pay my rent late and not have to pay a penalty.

Sorry................................but the Republicans have NEVER offered paying the military in a continuing resolution when they shut down the government until this time, and it's only because they are scared of the political fallout.

I'm wondering how the retirees (of which I am one now) are going to be treated this time. Do we count as part of the military, or are we going to be counted as those who are shut down?

Thank God that the shutdown is on the first, because that's when we get paid.

BTW................................do the politicians continue to get paid?

Forum List

Back