What happens if the Republican Party nominates an ineligible candidate for the presidency?

Except they don't run nationwide campaigns... They run campaigns in whatever the swing states are.

I live in IL. Because Biden was so far ahead there in the polling, I didn't see any election commercials.
Yeah...if you had a straight popular vote, you'd get even less of a nationwide campaign than we have now. I estimate 45 states would never see a commercial addressing their concerns.

It would be great for the political left, by the way, since the large cities that would be targeted would dominate.

wow. the above scholar no doubt came up with the incredibly apt trump-mandela comparison all by itself..

what's next? gandhi?
Yes, all by myself. I've never been a Trump fan, but do not believe that imprisonment by political opponents should be a bar to running for office.

Yeah...if you had a straight popular vote, you'd get even less of a nationwide campaign than we have now. I estimate 45 states would never see a commercial addressing their concerns.

It would be great for the political left, by the way, since the large cities that would be targeted would dominate.

Actually, if you had a straight up national vote, we'd have a national campaign...

Actually, if you had a straight up national vote, we'd have a national campaign...

It would definitely help the Democrats. So there is some logic behind it--it would be good for America. But there is no reason for the candidates to ever campaign anywhere except the large population areas.

It would definitely help the Democrats. So there is some logic behind it--it would be good for America. But there is no reason for the candidates to ever campaign anywhere except the large population areas.

Or the Republicans can start tailoring their message to be less crazy and appeal to more people. That would be a good thing.

The problem with the EC is that it encourages the GOP to be the party of white grievance by giving extra voting power to white dominated states.

Hey Shiplap, you live in America, this is not a former Soviet country, oh I almost forgot who / what I was replying to…
You are very confused if you imagine that respected constitutional scholars conservative J. Michael Luttig and progressive Laurence Tribe espouse Soviet-style marxism, Tinker Bell.

The Republican Party may soon nominate an individual for the presidency who is ineligible, under constitutional law, to serve in the presidency. The U.S. needs at least two viable political parties, and one may be about to commit elective seppuku.

Do they have any eligible candidates at all? As far as I remember every one of them has spoken in support of the insurrection at one time or another.

We've already got a precedent, dumbfuck. Briben was nominated after taking $50 million in bribes.

6 hours of algorithmic vote switching and a few days to manufacture millions of ballots and the bed-shitting shut-in was installed as a POTUS..... right?

View attachment 817005
You do realize that even your federalist society is saying he can't be president, right?

Or the Republicans can start tailoring their message to be less crazy and appeal to more people. That would be a good thing.
They could. But they won't. Can you imagine any republican telling Joe Bob, "You really don't need 150 guns."? LOL
The problem with the EC is that it encourages the GOP to be the party of white grievance by giving extra voting power to white dominated states.
If thats the case, it used to encourage the Democrats to be that party; at least in states that wanted to be white dominated again. For example...

800px-ElectoralCollege1952.svg.png

I'd like to see the Electoral college incorporate the popular vote as well--you have to get the majority of electoral votes as well as the plurality of the popular vote. But it it came down to either/or...I'd stick with what we have now.

Do they have any eligible candidates at all? As far as I remember every one of them has spoken in support of the insurrection at one time or another.
It's a sad state of affairs in the GOP when the party's ambitious politicians refuse to stand up for democratic elections and the rule of law.

Their need to blithely sweep an attempt to subvert democracy under the rug is being frustrated by the nation's relentless pursuit of justice.

Neither does the left with Trump, other than their interpretations.

Of course we do... providing aid and comfort to a rebellion against our own government while performing their constitutional duty to certify the winner of a presidential election. That's a violation of the 14th Amendment which bans Trump from running for office. States can choose to keep him off their ballots, for that reason, if they so choose.

Of course we do... providing aid and comfort to a rebellion against our own government while performing their constitutional duty to certify the winner of a presidential election. That's a violation of the 14th Amendment which bans Trump from running for office. States can choose to keep him off their ballots, for that reason, if they so choose.
He didn't do any of that. It is in your imagination.

He didn't do any of that. It is in your imagination.

LOL

You wish. He riled them up and then summoned them to the Capitol. Then he did nothing to get them out of the Capitol for hours.

That's providing aid.

When he finally told them to get out, he told them they're special and he loves them.

That's providing comfort.

Forum List

Back