What happened to the jobs?

Anyone notice how the right blames the EPA. Birth defects in China have skyrocketed. The country is a cesspool. Entire towns are suffering from lead poisoning. When you ask Republicans if that's what they want here, they so, "No dummy, we only want to end EPA regulations that affect jobs". Hilarious.

Now get this, American corporations are moving their headquarters to an outhouse in Switzerland or someplace. They buy a 10,000 dollar building and call it headquarters. Because they don't want to pay the taxes here. But they want the security, clean air and clean water, the infrastructure, the institutions, but mostly the security. They just don't want to help pay for it. Kind of like Republicans.

"They just don't want to help pay for it."

That there is comedy gold.

What you mean to say is that they just don't want to pay the rate you wish they would pay which is also about 3 times the rate they pay.

The ONLY thing that encouraged industry to move offshore was FREE TRADE.

Dumbest policy for this nation ever!

McDonald's doin' its part to spur the economy...
:clap2:
McDonald's to hire 50,000 workers - in 1 day
April 4, 2011 -- McDonald's said Monday that it is planning a one-day hiring spree of 50,000 new workers on April 19 for its U.S. restaurants.
McDonald's said that these new "Mcjobs" will include crew and management positions, part-time and full-time. McDonald's, which has 14,000 restaurants in the United States, said the hires will occur nationwide. "We're excited to offer 50,000 new jobs, all across America, all in one day," said Jan Fields, president of McDonald's U.S.A.

Fields, who started working at a McDonald's restaurant as a crew member behind the counter in 1978, said the 50,000 new hires will increase the U.S. workforce to 700,000 from its current level of 650,000.

She said the average pay for the jobs is $8.30 an hour. That's compared to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, though in some states the minimum wage is higher. She said that restaurant managers can make $50,000 a year.
6 crazy Subway locations

This announcement from McDonald's is just the latest sign of an improving job market. On Friday, the U.S. government announced a gain of 216,000 jobs in March, pushing the unemployment rate down to 8.8%, its lowest level in two years.

Source

Maggie: Legislation on limiting offshoring jobs failed last fall. The tax code needs to be changed so that corporations can't escape tax liability by keeping their business overseas.

Brutus: If they escape taxes they can offer lower prices so all of us get richer. Do you want to pay higher prices?

And that's why a GE frig costs less money, um, where? And your gasoline now approaches $4.00 a gallon because Exxon-Mobil could lower it's price since it also paid zero in taxes last year? (No, folks, I know EM doesn't fix gas prices; I was making a hypothetical point...)

Your nuts, Brutus. And please please please learn to post properly. Try out those little choices at the bottom of your reply page. And Voila!! Or you could highlight your own comment using one of the thingies at the top of your reply page.

I''ve said it before: There are PLENTY of JOBS. Ask a Mexican

Brutus: yes, and if the Democrats would close the borders there would be 10 million more jobs for Americans, and tremendous pressure to bid up their wages.

The Democrats should close the borders? What if the Republicans don't want the borders closed?

Brutus: yes, and if the Democrats would close the borders there would be 10 million more jobs for Americans, and tremendous pressure to bid up their wages.

The Democrats should close the borders? What if the Republicans don't want the borders closed?

It no surprise that you would choose to dialog with the only idiot on the board who cannot work the "Quote Button."

Birds of a Feather.

I wholeheartedly agree..........:clap2:

Cargill awaits your applications.

images

I wholeheartedly agree..........:clap2:

images

Why not?

Farming is too hard for Americans?

As long as business owners and shareholders make a profit by shipping jobs overseas, it will be done and they will pay the lobbyists to ensure that laws are to their benefit. Notice that the stock market is up even though the American middle class is not working!! So those people in the upper levels of a business are doing well and do not want anyone to rock the boat. Sounds defeatist ... but dammit, there has to be a way to really fix this!! Notice that Obama's push to grow small businesses does not tell the new businesses NOT TO outsource their manufacturing or services. If they do, then they are just like the big businesses. Obama should also be telling big business to bring jobs back to the states. I wonder why he is not doing that?

Legislation on limiting offshoring jobs failed last fall. The tax code needs to be changed so that corporations can't escape tax liability by keeping their business overseas. If they didn't have that incentive, maybe they wouldn't be so eager to move out of the country. (I don't even know why some corporations like GE even like to still call themselves "American" companies.)
Our corporate tax rate of 30% encourages corporation to move overseas where they can be taxed at half that amount.

Factories can be moved overseas and all costs can be written off.

A tax credit is granted for any foreign taxes paid.

One of the biggest loopholes is claiming expenses in the US where corporate rates are high and revenues abroad where taxes are low. For example, a computer company makes a chip in the US, ships it to a foreign country (that provides a tax holiday to attract the company manufacturing facility) where it is installed in a computer and returned to the US. Most of the costs (research administration sales and marketing) are assigned to the US operation but the revenue is credited to the foreign manufacturing operation. With a tax holiday the company pays no taxes in the foreign country and pays little or no taxes in the US. Once the tax holiday is over in that foreign country, the US company packs up and moves to another country where it receives another multiple-year tax holiday.

Obama has called for lower and revamping corporate taxes. There is a bill in the House. Bringing the both sides together on this will be a problem.

Taxes and Outsourcing of Jobs

Actually, removing all those special perks for corporations is also part of Paul Ryan's "blueprint" for cutting $4 trillion over the next 10 years so it looks as though there's room for compromise at least on that particular budget busting issue.

What Happened to our Jobs? Democrats destroyed them!

The current crop did, true.
So you don't blame the sudden lack of credit availability due to the crash of the major financial houses as the reason thousands of small businesses had to close their doors and lay off people? How exactly did "Democrats" as a body "destroy" jobs? Is there no accountability from the prior administration when jobs first began heading downward?

The Solution is Republican:

Um, no.

No, just get rid of the legalized thuggery.

I agree. Lower floor means higher potential. The costs associated with maintaining a fixed base are a drain. But there is a dynamic. No minimum wage means higher standards on workplace safety.
How does workplace safety enter into it? Does OSHA care how much people earn?

Yes, it's just a pass-through.

No, because that's a product of market conditions and no government that regulates inflation can rid itself of it.

No. WWII was important enough.

Depends on the cost.

No. A balance budget does not constrain spending, and it means Washington gets to pass tax increases without consequences.
Or tax cuts without consequences.

No. Cut benefits by 25%.

Yes.

That's already going on. The difference is different perceptions of "needless."

Make it GDP and I agree. 12 % is optimal in my opinion but I'll agree to 15%.

Nope. No Nike factory in Chechnya employing 12 year old kids.

Actually, greater compensation but shorter time limits.

14) privatize education, social security

Provide a private option.

15) end payroll taxes

Yes.

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Most of that's pretty good, I'd say, except where noted.

As long as business owners and shareholders make a profit by shipping jobs overseas, it will be done and they will pay the lobbyists to ensure that laws are to their benefit. Notice that the stock market is up even though the American middle class is not working!! So those people in the upper levels of a business are doing well and do not want anyone to rock the boat. Sounds defeatist ... but dammit, there has to be a way to really fix this!! Notice that Obama's push to grow small businesses does not tell the new businesses NOT TO outsource their manufacturing or services. If they do, then they are just like the big businesses. Obama should also be telling big business to bring jobs back to the states. I wonder why he is not doing that?

Legislation on limiting offshoring jobs failed last fall. The tax code needs to be changed so that corporations can't escape tax liability by keeping their business overseas. If they didn't have that incentive, maybe they wouldn't be so eager to move out of the country. (I don't even know why some corporations like GE even like to still call themselves "American" companies.)

Instead of trying to create a disincentive for offshoring, why not create an incentive to keep and add jobs here?

That was the whole idea. Lower the basic tax rate but remove all the loopholes.

It no surprise that you would choose to dialog with the only idiot on the board who cannot work the "Quote Button."

Birds of a Feather.

The only reason I don't use it is because I find it more difficult to follow a conversation, and so I prefer the highlighting. Asshole.

Is that your only contribution to the topic? If so, fuck off.

There is one thing that Americans can do that will have a tremendous effect.
In fact, it would not only increase employment but increase wages as well.
There is absolutely NOTHING that you can do that would even scratch the surface of what this will do.

Don't buy cheap foreign items from Wal-Mart, Cosco, KMart, Target etc. etc. etc.
Buy American when you can.
You will feel better about your purchase, it will likely be of better quality and last longer - and you can walk around with the knowledge that you help your fellow Americans rather than hurt them.

You can't/won't do this?
Then you have no right to complain about the economy.

Said by someone who apparently can't see the link between the state of the economy, the money in your pocket and what things cost.

There is absolutely NOTHING that you can do that would even scratch the surface of what this will do.

Don't buy cheap foreign items from Wal-Mart, Cosco, KMart, Target etc. etc. etc.
You will feel better about your purchase, it will likely be of better quality and last longer - and you can walk around with the knowledge that you help your fellow Americans rather than hurt them.

You can't/won't do this?

Said by someone who apparently can't see the link between the state of the economy, the money in your pocket and what things cost.

You mean The Rich.

images

Why not?

They can try their hand by applying here:

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

But I don't think they've had too many takers.

Immigrant Farm Workers: 'Take Our Jobs' | NowPublic News Coverage

According to your link, they only had 3 as of Sept 2010 including Cobert whose grandstanding about it during the Congressional hearing only served to contrast the difference between job aspirations of Unemployed American Citizens and Employed illegal migrants.

The point, which as usual you don't seem to grasp, is that there are jobs available.

The fact that Americans don't choose to work these jobs, but would rather live unemployed is only evidence that unemployment benefits are far too generous.

Last edited:

You can't/won't do this?

You mean The Rich.

No. I mean people who can't seem to grasp basic economic concepts like the less substitutes there are for something the more that thing will cost. If we all restrict ourselves to buying only american, american products that cost more than their foreign made susbstitutes, then everyone will have LESS money, not more. Not sure how that is going to turn the 'ol economy around.

Last edited:
Why not?

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

According to your link, they only had 3 as of Sept 2010 including Cobert whose grandstanding about it during the Congressional hearing only served to contrast the difference between job aspirations of Unemployed American Citizens and Employed illegal migrants.

The point, which as usual you don't seem to grasp, is that there are jobs available.

The fact that Americans don't choose to work these jobs, but would rather live unemployed is only evidence that unemployment benefits are far too generous.

That's your conclusion? :lol: Nice spin.

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

It isn't spin. There is no shortage of jobs. Hop on careerbuilder.com or monster.com. There are thousands of jobs available.

Last edited:

TAKEOURJOBS.ORG

Illegals have jobs + Citizens are unemployed = Citizens don't want to work.

What's YOUR conclusion?

Undoubtably you are implying that Unemployed American citizens are not trained well enough to do the job?

Job may include using hand tools such as knives, hoes, shovels, etc. Duties may include tilling the soil, transplanting, weeding, thinning, picking, cutting, sorting & packing of harvested produce. May set up & operate irrigation equip. Work is performed outside in all weather conditions (Summertime 90+ degree weather) & is physically demanding requiring workers to bend, stoop, lift & carry up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.

Yeah, obviously the Dept. of Health and Human Services needs a Bureau of Weeding, Thinning, and Picking to evaluate training programs that will be mandated to states to implement.:lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back