What happened to the jobs?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by MaggieMae, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Discuss? Hopefully by critiquing in a civil manner, without playing the blame game, how this problem can be solved and jobs brought back to America.

Where America's jobs went - The Week
    Highlighted portions are my greatest concern. If you have trouble bringing up the link, let me know. The Week usually takes down one of their links to a specific archived article embedded elsewhere after a few days.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Think EPA, taxes, China, Mexico, morratorium, bye bye birdie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    There is one thing that Americans can do that will have a tremendous effect.
    In fact, it would not only increase employment but increase wages as well.
    There is absolutely NOTHING that you can do that would even scratch the surface of what this will do.

Don't buy cheap foreign items from Wal-Mart, Cosco, KMart, Target etc. etc. etc.
    Buy American when you can.
    You will feel better about your purchase, it will likely be of better quality and last longer - and you can walk around with the knowledge that you help your fellow Americans rather than hurt them.

You can't/won't do this?
    Then you have no right to complain about the economy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,634
    Not contradicting you but the USD vs. Yuan ratio is quickly making this position obsolete. Now that China has gotten to a labor shortage (it began in the fall of last year) due to the one child policy it is losing competitive advantage. Africa is getting its act together and India has not yet reached China's point but the era of cheap labor pools overseas is coming to a close.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    I said cheap foreign goods...whether it is China or Africa or Cambodia or Hong Kong or etc.etc.

6. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    If only the majority of us had the extra money for gas to allow us to truck all over town, spending hours looking for an American made product. And even if we're lucky enough to find one, chances are some of its components were made in China, etc. Your "solution" is a pipe dream.

7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    As long as people like you think it is - then it will remain so.
    I bought a Dishwasher, Washer and Dryer...all 3 American made...all three are in the same store as all of the other brands.
    Gosh - it took me like 6 seconds to Google "American made dishwashers".
    Yeah - took a lot of effort. :eusa_hand:

8. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    We cannot reverse this trend but we can slow it down. The corporate tax rate is too high. It's encouraging businesses to leave the country. Further there are too many tax loopholes in corporate taxes that reward companies for sending jobs overseas. We need to eliminate these loopholes and cut corporate taxes in half, however we can't do that without major spending cuts or raising personal income tax. A bill that would cut corporate taxes, provide some spending cuttings and restructure corporate taxes would go along way toward bring jobs back to America.

9. Dr.House

Dr.House Lives on in syndication!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,488
    Algore would be upset to know that you use your gas guzzling vehicle to "truck all over town" to do your shopping research...

Especially since he invented the internetz...

10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Not everyone is in the market for big ticket items. If I were, I would definitely do some shopping around for American made, but I might still have a problem because where I live we don't even have a Best Buy, a Costco, or even a Walmart that sells major appliances.

When everything people use to normally stock a home with just essentials--bedding, dishes, kitchen and bath utensils--plus all the smaller items, that's where the big problem lies in trying to find THOSE products that are "Made in America." Again, to travel around searching would be counterproductive, and I'd probably come up empty in the end anyway.