What gives the State the right to ban guns in church?

That's one advantage of living in a Southern State. If you bring a gun in, everybody wants to check it out. I brought a target in one day and half the people in the office wanted to know what kind of gun I used, how far away from the target I was, which shooting range I went to, and when I was going back.

And that is a problem. I was raised with guns and smart gun folks. Houses full of guns. They were observed as tools of hunting and defense. They didn't come out for show and tell sessions. There was protocol for even bringing a weapon out of it's place, hoe it was handled and complete sense of the lethal nature of the weapon, it's purpose and where and when it was to be used. As kids, we were in houses full of guns but our fathers never sat around showing off guns and we were instructed from a very early age that these guns were not to be toyed with. We hunted with them, we went to the range, we shot skeet. The guns went from the case, to use and back.

This flippant attitude about guns is a problem. If you expect to keep them and not face regulation, I suggest we concentrate on treating them for what they are. Not a fad, a trend, a status symbol. Again, if responsible people want to keep their guns, THEY are the ones that had better get a handle on these fools and start promoting the respect and responsibilty that comes with a weapon. If they don't the other people who fear guns will have their say about it.

[

Problem? Flippant attitude? You make a lot of assumptions and they are all wrong. Everyone I know has used a gun since they were very young and are well versed in handling and safety. It goes without saying that it is not a toy. Everyone who wants to look at the gun first makes sure that it is unloaded. It's important to get the right weapon for your needs and that is the main reason we share stories. I guess in your world there are a lot of people who see guns as a toy and have that 'flippant attitude' you speak of. Not in my world.

You're another one that has no business with a gun. At least until you learn. It does not go without saying, that a gun is not a toy. This has to be said to every every kid, every teen, anyone in a home with guns. That's exactly how kids get themselves shot: toying around with guns. And "unloaded" is not a term that a well versed handler uses. As I said before, a basic assumption that is always made about a weapon is that it is always loaded. You properly call a gun "safe" if it is not in a condition to be accidentally discharged. And no, there are few people in my world that are flippant with guns. That's why these stories strike me. It is really no wonder that some people want to harshly regulate guns. They see people behaving like fools with them and balme the guns.

Arkansas is a fine state. Little Rock is one of my favorite towns. Reminds me a lot of Raleigh, NC. Even in town, the people have a rural vibe. NC is moderate like Arkansas too. Comparing NC / SC is like apples and oranges. SC is very red and very conservative. Not anywhere near the industry, research and progressiveness of NC. Jim Hunt really made a huge difference for NC, over four terms as Governor. Improved education by leaps and bounds, provided incentives for new industry, research and pharmacueticals, instead of sitting around and waiting for textiles and furniture to die. That's pretty much what SC has done and is still doing. Crying about the loss of textiles but doing little in the way of progressing to new industry. I think they are just getting the idea that the textiles ARE NOT COMING BACK.

But guns? Shit, we got guns. NC is open carry, despite the fact it is a progressive state. Jessecrats are a pretty cool breed. SC is not open carry. You are forced to conceal your weapon when you travel. When you hit the state line, you have to pull over and unlock the trunk or glove box and put the gun out on the seat before you continue into NC. I don't know if you can carry gun into church or not. I don't know how much of an issue it is. We do have plenty of gun accidents though.

But when I weigh the issues, it comes down to the fact that at some point, nuts with guns may be all that stands between me and my government. I don't like jack ass cops or nuts with guns but they both serve a valuable purpose. Same reason I don't kill snakes.

For about three years now, NC has allowed concealed carry with permit and non-residents can carry concealed if they have a valid concealed carry permit issued by their home state. Obtaining the permit requires completion of specific concealed carry training.

The Biblical Recorder weighed in on this issue:

"...According to a spokesman for the Department of Law Enforcement in the North Carolina Department of Justice, North Carolina’s concealed weapons policy allows permit holders to carry a concealed weapon into places of worship if the pastor does not object; if there is no sign posted that prohibits such weapons and if there is no school on the premises.

...Our gun culture is costly in terms of both lives and treasure. Firearm-related deaths and injuries with their related legal and societal costs, drain an estimated $100 billion each year, the legal center estimates.

Do you feel safer with a handgun in the house? If you have a gun, how do you keep children, grandchildren, or neighbor kids from finding it and having a tragic accident?

Do you feel safer or less safe knowing that in North Carolina it is legal to carry a concealed weapon into your church service? If you feel less safe do whatever you must to get your pastor to express his disapproval, and to post signs at your entries prohibiting weapons in your sanctuary.
Biblical Recorder - Arkansas beats NC in gun savvy

The Biblical Recorder is the news publication of the NC State Baptist Convention.

What, precisely, was your point?

Typical Liberal attitude. They think that if guns are not allowed there nobody will bring one in. Tell that to Knoxville TN,Salt Lake City UT, and the latest on in Illinois. Lot of good gun restrictions did there.

I don't think that "liberals," or anybody else, think that "if guns are not allowed ... nobody will bring one in."

Most laws that restrict something are intended as deterrents, not fail safe mechanisms.

And why is it that you think laws act as deterrents to people who, by definition, ignore laws? Why do you think restricting the behavior of people who, by definition, obey the law is going to make anyone any safer?

The problem isn't that they can't, its much bigger than that. Its that they want to have guns in church, and that tells you everything you need to know about backwards ass Arkansas.

Cmon boys, we goin down der to church, bring your rifle Rufus!

Arkansas is a fine state. Little Rock is one of my favorite towns. Reminds me a lot of Raleigh, NC. Even in town, the people have a rural vibe. NC is moderate like Arkansas too. Comparing NC / SC is like apples and oranges. SC is very red and very conservative. Not anywhere near the industry, research and progressiveness of NC. Jim Hunt really made a huge difference for NC, over four terms as Governor. Improved education by leaps and bounds, provided incentives for new industry, research and pharmacueticals, instead of sitting around and waiting for textiles and furniture to die. That's pretty much what SC has done and is still doing. Crying about the loss of textiles but doing little in the way of progressing to new industry. I think they are just getting the idea that the textiles ARE NOT COMING BACK.

But guns? Shit, we got guns. NC is open carry, despite the fact it is a progressive state. Jessecrats are a pretty cool breed. SC is not open carry. You are forced to conceal your weapon when you travel. When you hit the state line, you have to pull over and unlock the trunk or glove box and put the gun out on the seat before you continue into NC. I don't know if you can carry gun into church or not. I don't know how much of an issue it is. We do have plenty of gun accidents though.

But when I weigh the issues, it comes down to the fact that at some point, nuts with guns may be all that stands between me and my government. I don't like jack ass cops or nuts with guns but they both serve a valuable purpose. Same reason I don't kill snakes.

For about three years now, NC has allowed concealed carry with permit and non-residents can carry concealed if they have a valid concealed carry permit issued by their home state. Obtaining the permit requires completion of specific concealed carry training.

"...According to a spokesman for the Department of Law Enforcement in the North Carolina Department of Justice, North Carolina’s concealed weapons policy allows permit holders to carry a concealed weapon into places of worship if the pastor does not object; if there is no sign posted that prohibits such weapons and if there is no school on the premises.

...Our gun culture is costly in terms of both lives and treasure. Firearm-related deaths and injuries with their related legal and societal costs, drain an estimated $100 billion each year, the legal center estimates.

Do you feel safer with a handgun in the house? If you have a gun, how do you keep children, grandchildren, or neighbor kids from finding it and having a tragic accident?

Do you feel safer or less safe knowing that in North Carolina it is legal to carry a concealed weapon into your church service? If you feel less safe do whatever you must to get your pastor to express his disapproval, and to post signs at your entries prohibiting weapons in your sanctuary.

The Biblical Recorder is the news publication of the NC State Baptist Convention.

and at the same time the cost to society by criminals is estimated to be 1,212,300,000,000 trillion dollars a year.

It is estimated that guns in the hands of citizens save 2,343,400,000,000 trillion dollars a year in crime prevention.

At my brother's yesterday, my niece said that a woman she works with came into the office last week showing off her new gun. I only caught a bit of the story but they were all upset because she bought it in to show people. They were all OMG, OMG I can't believe she did that, that's terrible! I asked 'was she a loon, going to shoot someone?'. No, she was just showing it. I asked 'did she have a permit, was it a registered gun?'. Yes. I asked 'was it loaded?' No. Apparently she was excited and wanted to share. I don't know why they were all OMGing. No one else seemed to share my viewpoint.

And this is what gives gun control folks the ammuniton they need: idiots with guns. A gun is not a toy. It is not something you show off to your friends. It is not an object of admiration. It is not something to brag about or be overjoyed and giddy that you just got a new one and just must show it to the folks at the office. This is the kind of person and kind of non chalant attitude that gets kids killed. When a kid sees a person behaving this way, they will emulate. They too will be excited and giddy about guns. They will want to show it off. They will make a mistake and put an extra hole in someone.

Guns are to be treated with respect. The range is the place to show your gun. A gun shop, the hunt club a show designated for such. Your office? No one in your office should ever know you even have a gun until the day, God forbid, you have to produce it and use it. Same goes for your church, your hardware store, etc.

I'm not for gun control. I'm for idiot control. Find this woman and take that gun away from her before she gets someone killed.

I am for idiot control as well. I guess the gun being unloaded you are worried she is so clumsy it would fall from her hand and break someones toe.

As far as everything else you said, I can only agree with "I am for idiot control".

Those with guns do not merely protect themselves, but idiots as well.
Thank me, I educated you.

And that is a problem. I was raised with guns and smart gun folks. Houses full of guns. They were observed as tools of hunting and defense. They didn't come out for show and tell sessions. There was protocol for even bringing a weapon out of it's place, hoe it was handled and complete sense of the lethal nature of the weapon, it's purpose and where and when it was to be used. As kids, we were in houses full of guns but our fathers never sat around showing off guns and we were instructed from a very early age that these guns were not to be toyed with. We hunted with them, we went to the range, we shot skeet. The guns went from the case, to use and back.

This flippant attitude about guns is a problem. If you expect to keep them and not face regulation, I suggest we concentrate on treating them for what they are. Not a fad, a trend, a status symbol. Again, if responsible people want to keep their guns, THEY are the ones that had better get a handle on these fools and start promoting the respect and responsibilty that comes with a weapon. If they don't the other people who fear guns will have their say about it.

[

Problem? Flippant attitude? You make a lot of assumptions and they are all wrong. Everyone I know has used a gun since they were very young and are well versed in handling and safety. It goes without saying that it is not a toy. Everyone who wants to look at the gun first makes sure that it is unloaded. It's important to get the right weapon for your needs and that is the main reason we share stories. I guess in your world there are a lot of people who see guns as a toy and have that 'flippant attitude' you speak of. Not in my world.

You're another one that has no business with a gun. At least until you learn. It does not go without saying, that a gun is not a toy. This has to be said to every every kid, every teen, anyone in a home with guns. That's exactly how kids get themselves shot: toying around with guns. And "unloaded" is not a term that a well versed handler uses. As I said before, a basic assumption that is always made about a weapon is that it is always loaded. You properly call a gun "safe" if it is not in a condition to be accidentally discharged. And no, there are few people in my world that are flippant with guns. That's why these stories strike me. It is really no wonder that some people want to harshly regulate guns. They see people behaving like fools with them and balme the guns.

:lol: And here I thought you were being serious. :lol:

Great troll posts! Keep up the good work!

At my brother's yesterday, my niece said that a woman she works with came into the office last week showing off her new gun. I only caught a bit of the story but they were all upset because she bought it in to show people. They were all OMG, OMG I can't believe she did that, that's terrible! I asked 'was she a loon, going to shoot someone?'. No, she was just showing it. I asked 'did she have a permit, was it a registered gun?'. Yes. I asked 'was it loaded?' No. Apparently she was excited and wanted to share. I don't know why they were all OMGing. No one else seemed to share my viewpoint.

And this is what gives gun control folks the ammuniton they need: idiots with guns. A gun is not a toy. It is not something you show off to your friends. It is not an object of admiration. It is not something to brag about or be overjoyed and giddy that you just got a new one and just must show it to the folks at the office. This is the kind of person and kind of non chalant attitude that gets kids killed. When a kid sees a person behaving this way, they will emulate. They too will be excited and giddy about guns. They will want to show it off. They will make a mistake and put an extra hole in someone.

Guns are to be treated with respect. The range is the place to show your gun. A gun shop, the hunt club a show designated for such. Your office? No one in your office should ever know you even have a gun until the day, God forbid, you have to produce it and use it. Same goes for your church, your hardware store, etc.

I'm not for gun control. I'm for idiot control. Find this woman and take that gun away from her before she gets someone killed.

I am for idiot control as well. I guess the gun being unloaded you are worried she is so clumsy it would fall from her hand and break someones toe.

As far as everything else you said, I can only agree with "I am for idiot control".

You're a moron. Anyone that knows about gun safety knows that one of the most common ways people get shot is with an "unloaded" gun. There is no such thing as an unloaded. It is one of the primary rules of responsible gun ownership. If these people thought this woman was crazy for bringing a gun into the office, one of two things was true of them:

1) They were responsible and informed gun handlers who know better than to be showing off a weapon in an office setting.

2) They were gun novices without the proper training to know if a gun is safe or not. The last people you should be showing off your gun to.

In either case, the woman was foolish. Like I said before, no one in her office should ever know she has a gun unless she actually had to use it.

Not trolling. If you don't understand what was said there, it just goes further to demonstrate that you are not the type to be safe with a gun.

Again, it does not go without saying that a gun is not a toy. If you think this, you're part of our problem. You are hurting the struggle to keep gun rights. This kind of flippant ignorance is what breeds complacency and leads to gun accidents.

Also, it can not be repeated enough that a gun is never to be considered "unloaded". In the context of this conversation, we are unable to actually handle this gun ourselves and verify that it was unloaded. As such, it is not safe and even speaking to the term "unloaded" without persoanlly verifying such is a deadly attitude.

There is no compromise of how firearms must be treated, at all times. This is not only how people get killed, it's how you are going to lose your rights.

Not trolling. If you don't understand what was said there, it just goes further to demonstrate that you are not the type to be safe with a gun.

Again, it does not go without saying that a gun is not a toy. If you think this, you're part of our problem. You are hurting the struggle to keep gun rights. This kind of flippant ignorance is what breeds complacency and leads to gun accidents.

Also, it can not be repeated enough that a gun is never to be considered "unloaded". In the context of this conversation, we are unable to actually handle this gun ourselves and verify that it was unloaded. As such, it is not safe and even speaking to the term "unloaded" without persoanlly verifying such is a deadly attitude.

There is no compromise of how firearms must be treated, at all times. This is not only how people get killed, it's how you are going to lose your rights.

Oh brother. You really are serious. Maybe you need to find a new hobby.

Here's an uloaded gun:

$ist2_3170544-semiautomatic-handgun.jpg

Here's an uloaded gun:

View attachment 7254

I can't see into that chamber. Can you?

At any rate, if you can't hold it and verify, it's not unloaded. That would be assuming it is unloaded.

Take a gun safety course. Really. It might keep you from getting yourself or someone else killed.

Drugs are illegal unless for medical use. Yet people still have access to these illegal drugs. If you ban guns, people will still have access to guns. The people who will have access to guns will be at an advantage than those who abide by the law. If government wants to take guns away, it won't guarantee that the bad guy won't have access to them. Remember prohibition...did that stop gangsters from selling underground.

Last edited:

Here's an uloaded gun:

View attachment 7254

I can't see into that chamber. Can you?

At any rate, if you can't hold it and verify, it's not unloaded. That would be assuming it is unloaded.

Take a gun safety course. Really. It might keep you from getting yourself or someone else killed.

Oh brother. Your high-and-mighty attitude is really getting old, but your posts have made for some great reading by fellow gun enthusiasts like myself.

You're a moron. Anyone that knows about gun safety knows that one of the most common ways people get shot is with an "unloaded" gun. There is no such thing as an unloaded. It is one of the primary rules of responsible gun ownership. If these people thought this woman was crazy for bringing a gun into the office, one of two things was true of them:

1) They were responsible and informed gun handlers who know better than to be showing off a weapon in an office setting.

2) They were gun novices without the proper training to know if a gun is safe or not. The last people you should be showing off your gun to.

In either case, the woman was foolish. Like I said before, no one in her office should ever know she has a gun unless she actually had to use it.

Making assumptions about a woman in article could be described as ignorant and moronic.

Second, you have no idea of the atmosphere in the office, obviously the woman in the article knows something of the people she works with and the office that you do not.

You make more assumptions than I have an analogy for.

Tell us of the possible bias of the author of the story, tell us how the story came to the attention of the paper, tell us of the motives or the lack of motives of those involved in every aspect of the stories. Tell us how many pro-gun or anti-gun stories this paper posts.

Better yet, stop, take a deep breath and think. I have been describing people as thinking primitively, I think you should stop and consider my post, and the others posts, and not post with the passion of your emotion but just take the time to think maybe your opinion is a bit manipulated by an article that is missing much information.

If you wish to call me a moron for requesting that you consider much more than you actually have, so be it, but without making these considerations your posts sound much more moronic than mine.

Here's an uloaded gun:

View attachment 7254

Hate to break it to you, but that just means the clip isn't in the gun, there could still be one bullet in the chamber.

Let's just get one thing straight. If you are in here claiming that any gun is unloaded and it was somehow Ok to do this or that becasue the gun was unloaded, GO TAKE A GUN COURSE.
That is a violation fo the very first rule about guns, taught for ages now. If you don't know this, you don't need a gun. You are a problem for responsible gun owners and spouting this ignorance in public provides ammunition for taking my gun because you don't how to be a responsible owner.

Gun safety training seeks to instill a certain mindset and appropriate habits, or rules. The mindset is that firearms are inherently dangerous and must always be handled with care. Handlers are taught to treat firearms with respect for their destructive capabilities, and strongly discouraged from playing or toying with firearms, a common cause of accidents.

The rules of gun safety follow from this mindset. While there are many variations, the rules introduced by Colonel Jeff Cooper are those most commonly taught during gun safety training:

1. "All guns are always loaded".
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Always be sure of your target.

—Jeff Cooper[1]

Treat firearms as if they are loaded
This rule is a matter of keeping a certain mindset. The purpose is to create safe handling habits, and to discourage reasoning along the lines of "I know my gun is unloaded so certain unsafe practices are OK". The proposition "the gun is always loaded" is used as a shorthand, even though it may be assumed, or even positively known, that this is not true of a particular firearm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety

maybe we wouldn't be in such mess with gun rights if more of the people who advocate them actually knew the first rule of gun safety.

How about you folks just at least keep quiet so the rest of us don't look stupid.

Last edited:

How does admiring a gun make kids die???

It's all about attitude. I know a couple of kids that learned to admire guns. They pulled one out of their grandfathers night stand and one accidentally blew a hole in the others head. You don't admire. You respect. It is a weapon. It is not a piece of art.

Some guns are a piece of art. Especially things like muskets and old time dueling pistols. How about an original Winchester Rifle? Guess it depends on your definition of the word "art" doesn't it?

How does admiring a gun make kids die???

It's all about attitude. I know a couple of kids that learned to admire guns. They pulled one out of their grandfathers night stand and one accidentally blew a hole in the others head. You don't admire. You respect. It is a weapon. It is not a piece of art.

Actually, I don't think they did learn to admire guns, or they wouldn't have put their fingers on the trigger in the first place. First thing I was taught about guns, never aim it at anyone unless you intend to kill them. Doesn't matter if it's loaded or not, be careful where you aim it.

There was a time I wouldn't allow a gun in my house because of my autistic son. Now, things are getting so dangerous in the world that even with my autistic son, having a gun in the house is a good idea. You feel safe by keeping the ammunition and the guns in two separate places and make sure you children don't have access to them. Buy a gun safe.

Making assumptions about a woman in article could be described as ignorant and moronic.

Second, you have no idea of the atmosphere in the office, obviously the woman in the article knows something of the people she works with and the office that you do not.

You make more assumptions than I have an analogy for.

Tell us of the possible bias of the author of the story, tell us how the story came to the attention of the paper, tell us of the motives or the lack of motives of those involved in every aspect of the stories. Tell us how many pro-gun or anti-gun stories this paper posts.

Better yet, stop, take a deep breath and think. I have been describing people as thinking primitively, I think you should stop and consider my post, and the others posts, and not post with the passion of your emotion but just take the time to think maybe your opinion is a bit manipulated by an article that is missing much information.

If you wish to call me a moron for requesting that you consider much more than you actually have, so be it, but without making these considerations your posts sound much more moronic than mine.

You have no business with a gun. This woman has no business with a gun. Anyone who excuses her actions has no business with a gun.

See my nprevious post. ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

If she had embraced this basic rule, this universal truth of guns, she would have thought "I souldn't be showing off a loaed gun". "I shouldn't have this gun directed at anything I am not prepared to destroy, including my desk chair."

This is basic shit. If you don't know this, you are a moron, regarding guns.

Forum List

Back