What Famous Personalities Have You Met Or Gotten In Close Proximity To…?

lots of punk bands before they became big ..green day and nirvana being the most recognizable...but the biggest kick was hanging out with joni Mitchell for three days..she was a total chronic and i hooked her up with some awesome skunk weed and it turned into three magic days of weed, wine, Greek food and jams and partys.. I just drove her around and kept on rollin em up...I took her out dancing and when she would go to the washroom people would come running over in awe asking if that was joni but they would scatter on her return not wanting to intrude...or like the Wayne and Garth were not worthy thing..she had the most respectful fans imaginable and joni was very cool. natural,humble and totally captivating it was like the most fun ever and it was just her laying low and doing her thing with freinds

'k... now I'm jealous...

I grew up a block from Bobby Helms the Country singer (wrote and had perennial hit "Christmas Tree Rock" & "Fraulein") and my brother dated his sister Colleen; Bobby Knight IU basketball coach bought a lot in my neighborhood development (because it offered the kind of privacy he sought) and I had neighborly relations with him occasionally; I met both Senator Lugar and Dan Quayle before either was a US senator.

I've had face-to-face convos with over 100 politicians whom most would recognize. I've had face-to-face convos with several news personalities, as well.

I've had face-to-face convos with several Nobel Prize winners (maybe seven, off the top of my head), as well, and tons of authors.

Entertainment stars (other than news characters), none that I recall. Well, I once waited on James Drury (The Virginian) when I was working summers in college.

ETA: Last summer, met Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) while shopping. She helped me decide on a home item when shopping in Middleburg, VA. Same with Robert Duvall - met him in a cafe, talked politics, and finished my drink with him. He seems to have similar political views to mine - he appreciates the TP.

I briefly hung out with Robert Duvall while he was down here shooting a movie in the mid-80's...

I'd always loved his performances from back in the late 60's...

gotta love him... he's a regular kinda guy who has his head on straight... who's gained alotta success...

lots of punk bands before they became big ..green day and nirvana being the most recognizable...but the biggest kick was hanging out with joni Mitchell for three days..she was a total chronic and i hooked her up with some awesome skunk weed and it turned into three magic days of weed, wine, Greek food and jams and partys.. I just drove her around and kept on rollin em up...I took her out dancing and when she would go to the washroom people would come running over in awe asking if that was joni but they would scatter on her return not wanting to intrude...or like the Wayne and Garth were not worthy thing..she had the most respectful fans imaginable and joni was very cool. natural,humble and totally captivating it was like the most fun ever and it was just her laying low and doing her thing with freinds

What a dream of a story, had to be truly magical. I went to see Joni backed by Tom Scott and the LA Express........ must of been around 73 or 74. I had some great hash oil laced joints for the concert but the girl I had a date with didn't want to smoke. I didn't have tickets so I went to the ticket office and they said someone had returned 2 because they were sick. I asked if they were any good, the clerk said that I wouldn't be disappointed. 9th row center!!!!! Joni was so mesmerizing, I felt like I had done some acid and I hadn't even had a beer. What was really funny was that I wasn't a big fan but a friend said I should go..... he saw me with binoculars from way back in the crowd. :badgrin:

cool beans... I have a similar story for a '73 Led Zeppelin concert...

John Ritter, James Woods, Don Adams, Janet Reno, Wayne LaPierre, Condoleeza Rice, Fred Thompson, John Roberts (Supreme Court) John Ashcroft, Alberto Gonzales, A few famous Japanese people you wouldn't know. Bunch of Drag Racing guys you wouldn't know.
The Sex Pistols, Zakk Wylde, Pulled Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx out of the crowd at a show they did in Japan. Earth Wind and Fire singer.
The one guy in American Pie who was in love with Stiflers Mother. My wife pointed him out at a Supermarket in SoCal so I went up to him and asked "Are you...?" he said "Absolutely!". Real nice guy.

lol... seriously...?! you spent time with Wayne LaPierre...?!

I'm a longtime member of the NRA... I've never met the guy... but, from all the stuff he's written, I think he's a raging asshole...

Jeepers, Wally this sure is a swell thread!

beaver.jpg

the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...
I’ll mebbe think of others later…

Too many to count, and mostly not because I wanted to. :eusa_silenced:

Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn....THAT'S COOL!

I got to meet both Jackson Brown (1981)and Robert Blake (1984) in Jail, at the San Luis Obispo Men's Colony. I've met both Leon Panetta and Charlie Rangel.

I been in jail several times... the closest thing to a notable person I ever met in jail was a nearly-blind Navajo, a veteran of the Bataan Death March, who'd been arrested for assaulting his son-in-law...

Last edited:
I got to meet both Jackson Brown (1981)and Robert Blake (1984) in Jail, at the San Luis Obispo Men's Colony. I've met both Leon Panetta and Charlie Rangel.

I been in jail several times... the closest thing to a notable person I ever met in jail was a nearly-blind Navajo, a veteran of the Bataan Death Marsh, who'd been arrested for assaulting his son-in-law...

Jackson Browne!?! I totally believe it. He must have been wilder in his younger days. It's just so hard to imagine him raising hell.

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

meh... I'll always kick myself for passing on the opportunity to see and meet Jimi Hendrix in '68...

meh... I'll always kick myself for passing on the opportunity to see and meet Jimi Hendrix in '68...

That would have been memorable indeed.

I wish I had cool stories. Most of mine have been sick or injured. No fun.

I went to a tent revival in D.C. - Whitehouse lawn via Rose Garden - back when Billy Boy was Pres.
He and Mrs. Bill were expounding on healthcare. When it was over I found myself face to face with Bill Joe Bob. Just wanted to say hi and shake his hand. I walked toward him and thought- not a good idea. So I spotted a nearby bodygard and motioned my intentions. He shook his head "no". I left it at that.

I refuse to believe you have absolutely nothing to offer...

c'mon now...

c'mon now...

Oh, I could tell some stories. I like being employed and living indoors! :D

I do know who worked one of the big grunge bands of the 90's lead singer's heroin overdose/death in the early 2000's. It wasn't me, but I've heard the story. Most healthcare workers, who work in or around big cities have had SOME exposure.

It's aggravating, really. Sometimes you don't know who the person is, until the damned media is waiting for you at the hospital. (if said individual is unconscious, or disoriented...whatever) That is such a pain in the ass. If they only knew.

It's the one time that you feel the pain of the paparazzi.

c'mon now...

I do know who worked one of the big grunge bands of the 90's lead singer's heroin overdose/death in the early 2000's. It wasn't me, but I've heard the story. Most healthcare workers, who work in or around big cities have had SOME exposure.

It's aggravating, really. Sometimes you don't know who the person is, until the damned media is waiting for you at the hospital. (if said individual is unconscious, or disoriented...whatever) That is such a pain in the ass. If they only knew.

great story... I tried to give you pos rep for it but the system won't allow me to...

c'mon now...

great story... I tried to give you pos rep for it but the system won't allow me to...

Well thank you anyway.

Forum List

Back