What Famous Personalities Have You Met Or Gotten In Close Proximity To…?

I think I've got you beat...
I ran two bars in Aspen, Colorado over a ten year period. I've met Jack Nicholson, Robert Wagner, Jill St. John, John Denver, Ringo Star, Barbara Bach, Chris Everett, Sean Connery, Steve Martin, Cher, Don Johnson, Melanie Griffith, Kevin Costner, Vanna White, Vice President Gore, Freddie Couples, Billie Jean King, Payne Stewart, Buzz Aldrin, David Robinson, Don Henley, Billy Crystal, Glenn Frey, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Julia Roberts, Lyle Lovett, Reba McIntyre, Dickie Betts, Greg Allman, BB King, Robert Cray, Los Lobos, the INXS band and Warren Moon. I've probably overlooked a lot but there were so many it's hard to remember.

Funny thing though...I lived there for ten years and never once saw Martina Navritilova and she lived there too and it's a small town.

Last edited:
I ran two bars in Aspen, Colorado over a ten year period. I've met Jack Nicholson, Robert Wagner, Jill St. John, John Denver, Ringo Star, Barbara Bach, Chris Everett, Sean Connery, Steve Martin, Cher, Don Johnson, Melanie Griffith, Kevin Costner, Vanna White, Vice President Gore, Freddie Couples, Billie Jean King, Payne Stewart, Buzz Aldrin, David Robinson, Don Henley, Billy Crystal, Glenn Frey, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Julia Roberts, Lyle Lovett, Reba McIntyre, BB King, Robert Cray, Los Lobos, the INXS band and Warren Moon. I've probably overlooked a lot but there were so many it's hard to remember.

thanks, OS...

cool list... but this wasn't really meant to be a competition...

I woulda loved to have spent time with Payne Stewart, though...

I'm not really into golf, but he seemed like a truly fine person...

I mourned when he died...

I ran two bars in Aspen, Colorado over a ten year period. I've met Jack Nicholson, Robert Wagner, Jill St. John, John Denver, Ringo Star, Barbara Bach, Chris Everett, Sean Connery, Steve Martin, Cher, Don Johnson, Melanie Griffith, Kevin Costner, Vanna White, Vice President Gore, Freddie Couples, Billie Jean King, Payne Stewart, Buzz Aldrin, David Robinson, Don Henley, Billy Crystal, Glenn Frey, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Julia Roberts, Lyle Lovett, Reba McIntyre, BB King, Robert Cray, Los Lobos, the INXS band and Warren Moon. I've probably overlooked a lot but there were so many it's hard to remember.

thanks, OS...

cool list... but this wasn't really meant to be a competition...

I woulda loved to have spent time with Payne Stewart, though...

I'm not really into golf, but he seemed like a truly fine person...

I mourned when he died...

You would have like him, Bayou... He was in Aspen for the Johnny Walker Red Invitational which is a charity event not a PGA event and I followed him and Freddie Couples around Aspen Golf Course. They were very laid back (Payne was drinking a beer and they were both wearing shorts) and chatting with the people watching. Nice guy. I think his plane crashed a year later. Very sad.

One of the things about meeting some of your idols is finding out that they are ass holes...Don Johnson is one of the biggest horses's patoots you'll ever meet as is Sly Stallone. Dickie Betts and Greg Allman on the other hand were really cool.

the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

I’ll mebbe think of others later…

I've hung out and drank with Vince Vaughn on a few occasions. Hes from and lives in a town one town over from my parents...

I've randomly met many Chicago Bears players.

I saw Bill Murray one time in public in his home town.

Richard Marx (the singer) is one of my dads clients and I have been to his house several times..

I'm from Chicagos North Shore so .... There are a lot of famous people who live around here and occasionally you bump into them.

My dad is in the audio/video business so I've met a lot of rock stars and rappers..

My uncle is close friends with Haley Reinhart's (American Idol fame) parents, I've met them several times and even jammed with them..

I was chain ganged to Maurice Clarett (NFL player/former college FB star) after being arrested for drinking on a Grayhound bus in Columbus Ohio on my B-day when I was 26. They were transporting us to court.

I have met many Chicago Blackhawks players but not out of coincidence they were personal appearances.

Oh, I forgot - I played shimmy against NHL goaltender Al Montoya when I was younger... I also met Billy Corgan (real asshole)..

Outside of the Blackhawks - these were all just random run-ins with these celebrities... I suppose Haley and her parents as well.

Last edited:
whoopi goldberg nearly ran into me with her cart at an upscale grocery store in beverly hills when i was a teenager. i thought it was the coolest thing. she said sorry, i just stood there mute. and then ran and told my dad.

met diane feinstein and shook her hand at a political function.

watched a movie being filmed in NYC in the late 80's, can't remember who or the movie, obviously a big hit.

Oh I met Obama too.... Forgot about that..

Besides for Vince Vaughn and members and alumni of the Chicago Blackhawks I have never met a celeb/athlete I wanted to meet..

The two biggies I've met are Lou Ferrigno and Tom Watson. Lou is bigger in real life than he looks on television. "Humungous" doesn't even begin to describe him. Tom Watson is a very down-to-earth guy. Very nice person. His step-son, on the other hand, is kind of a dick, though.

I don't know if any of you watch Storm Chasers, but if you do, I went to high school with Brandon Ivey and Matt Hughes (rest in peace). I also went to school with Pat Miller. I'm sort of biased, but I think he should have received all the attention that Jessica Lynch got.

I met Nelson Mandela, his plane was staged at Andrews Afb for the 50th anniversary of the United Nations.

I have an interesting story for NFL fans...

I was working as a bartender and we were about to close and low and behold the center of the Chicago Bears -Olin Kreutz- gets up and grabs the mic (which we used to inform customers it was closing time)... Anyways he was drunk as hell and starts singing garbbilly nonsense while everyone leaves.. He was singing shit like "leave the fuck now, the bar is closing, get your bears now or in the morning."

I thought it was amusing because he went on for 5 or so minutes and if it was anyone but a professional athlete they would have gotten their asses kicked by the bouncers.

Oh and for a center Olin Kreutz is a hell of a lot smaller than anyone could believe - 5-11 260. Still big but for a center in the NFL?? We had bouncers bigger than he was...

Last edited:
Keith Richards and his band the Expensive Winos. Eric Clapton. Miles Davis. Dizzy Gillespie. Chet Baker. John Heard, Willam Hurt, John Goodman. Margot Kidder. Owned a club where the cast of Saturday Night Live used to come for their after after the show party when Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley were on the show. Steven Wright. Bill Murray. Joe Cocker. Arthur and Red Prysock. Elaine Newman. Richard Harris. Nick Nolte.

wow... you bumped into Chet Baker...?! I'm so jealous...

seriously... I'm a huge Chet Baker fan...

I owned the kitchen concession in a jazz club in NYC and I spent a week with him. Nice guy, bad habit.

Kenny Chesney and his manager, Uncle Kracker, Gretchen Wilson, Big and Rich (both of them) Rascal Flatts (all three them), Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kenny Rogers, several high profile pols in Cali, many 'high" profiles in the city I live in, Senator Mark Begich, Senator Ted Stevens (RIP), Angilo Mazilo (ski trip in SLC), Tim McGraw, Cowboy Troy...I know there is more

I shook some famous POLS hands. But that really isn't meeting them, is it?

'Bout the only real STAR I met that I really got to speak to like a human being was Joseph Heller.

Had a beer with the guy and talked to him about his books.

Nice guy.

Also got to ask Noam Chomsky some questions when he was giving a talk about the mid-East at a dorm at Northeastern Univ..

Met Abby Hoffman, too, once on the streets of NYC.

I've been with 20 feet of Charles Barkley & Amare' Stoudemire. Met Dan Majerle and Tom Chambers once. All NBA Basketball players.

I've met plenty of wrestlers like Mick Foley, Bret Hart, Tommy Dreamer, Al Snow, The Honky Tonk Man, Jerry Lynn and Sunny.

I was within 20 feet of actor William Devane at a book store, and stood right next to Our Lady Peace singer Raine Maida while he was in the crowd performing live at a concert in Cincinnati. I've also met lead singer of Everclear Art Alexakis as well. Used to go to the same church (I was raised "christian") that singer Glen Campbell attended and saw him multiple times as well.

I've written & requested (and subsequently received) autographs from actresses Keira Knightley, Scout Taylor-Compton and Dakota Fanning. And yeah, they were real.

Oh and the T-Mobile girl Carly Foulkes tweeted me back, back in June this year too. :p

I met Chuck Biscuits back in the day in a bar in Kansas City.

Forum List

Back