Scientific illiteracy is irksome

yeah, that's dumb...

but that doesn't bother me near as much as when a local newscaster, reporting on a one-car accident, says that the car, after it left the road, went "airborne"... when it simply hit a hummock of ground and then went hurtling through the air, impelled shearly by momentum, with absolutely no aerodynamics involved...

Last edited:
One of the numerous Drudge-linked "headlines" today says, "Voyager 1 about to leave solar system, enter Milky Way..."

Does that kind of scientific illiteracy bug anybody else?

Nasa's Voyager 1 in 'cosmic purgatory' on verge of entering Milky Way - Telegraph

It's not just AMERICAN scientific illiteracy, either.

Tsk, fucking, tsk.

Read the Chicago Tribune - they have some of the dumbest headlines..

Here is a good one from a few days ago; "Found fingers and tongue in a jar not human."

Really?? since when do animals have fingers??? apes?? this is Chicago and we don't have apes running around here with missing fingers besides for politicians...

I consider "scientific illiteracy" to be the fact that most Americans can't even outline the scientific method, let alone discuss the different methods of designing an experiment or study and the statistical implications (i.e. a confidence interval shouldn't cross "1").

The fact that people don't know that the "Milky Way" is the galaxy we reside in is just plain ignorance.

New Topics

Forum List

Back