What Famous Personalities Have You Met Or Gotten In Close Proximity To…?

the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

I’ll mebbe think of others later…

MANY famous celebs AND politicians, but.....sorry....no names....:eusa_shhh:

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

Me too....

Anyone in the hospitality industry have met quite a few....so celebrity is no biggie to me.

Steven Seagal (not related to Jonathan Livingston).
We were waiting for the Dali Lama to address the crowd so I went wandering around and there he was hanging out in one of the access walkways.
Before he got fat or after?

Me too....

Anyone in the hospitality industry have met quite a few....so celebrity is no biggie to me.

And some of us met them before being in that business and still considered them, "no biggies," but some formidable and highly recognizable names for sure. I am just not impressed with celebrity, as much as I am, by genius and successful people, in general.

Steven Seagal (not related to Jonathan Livingston).
We were waiting for the Dali Lama to address the crowd so I went wandering around and there he was hanging out in one of the access walkways.

He is my wannabe lover. Fat or not. I am very attracted to everything about him, but his acting....:badgrin:

imagesCA5KPG7H-1-1.jpg

Caddied for Kevin McHale, Ray Scott, Carl Pohlad, Ernie Banks, and Padraig Harrington in the '93 Walker Cup.

Saw Patrick Roy at the Residence Inn in Highlands Ranch, CO, getting a cup of coffee on the fly...Just smiled, gave him a discreet thumbs up and he mouthed "thank you", probably just as much for not alerting the roomful of people munching on their breakfasts an the greeting.

i didn't know ernie made the team in '93

eats, shoots and leaves

Many don't know how into music and guitar, he is. I like ppl who keep growing their talents. :)

"You might be surprised to see that Steven Seagal has other talents than making average action-flicks, but this song really grew on me. I find his voice to be quite good, even though the video is a bit on the cheesy side"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUaesUh-M3Q]Steven Seagal- Girl it's alright - YouTube[/ame]

I caddied for my brother at the 77 and 78 US Opens, the 85 Bing Crosby Clam Bank, the 85 Memorial and the 86 Masters. During those tournaments I got to meet a bunch of the touring pros but the ones that stand out are....... Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and his son Jackie, Gary Player, Payne Stewart, Andy North, Billy Casper, Andy Bean, Fed Couples, Curtis Strange, Lee Trevino, Brad Faxon, Rocco Mediate, Tom Watson, Byron Nelson, Jackie Burke....... there were others but I just don't remember.

The 85 Bing Crosby was the last year it was called that, Kathy Crosby didn't wan't AT&T to get part of the name of the tournament so she took Bing's name out. I met his son Nathaniel at that tourney. They played Pebble, Spyglass Hill and my favorite course ever.... Cypress Point. It was later taken out because they had no black members.

The Masters was the coolest, I had watched it every year as far back as I could remember and here I was walking inside the ropes at Augusta National....... very stressful. I never wear a hat and William "Hootie" Johnson came up to my brother on the practice tee and told him to tell his caddie to put his hat on. He's the guy that was the head of Augusta that got into the spotlight after Martha Burk wrote to him suggesting that they should have at least a few women members, Hootie basically told her it wasn't any of her business and she tried to get the Masters moved to another venue........ I guess she didn't realize that Augusta is Mecca for golfers and the home of the Masters since it's inception in 1934.

lots of punk bands before they became big ..green day and nirvana being the most recognizable...but the biggest kick was hanging out with joni Mitchell for three days..she was a total chronic and i hooked her up with some awesome skunk weed and it turned into three magic days of weed, wine, Greek food and jams and partys.. I just drove her around and kept on rollin em up...I took her out dancing and when she would go to the washroom people would come running over in awe asking if that was joni but they would scatter on her return not wanting to intrude...or like the Wayne and Garth were not worthy thing..she had the most respectful fans imaginable and joni was very cool. natural,humble and totally captivating it was like the most fun ever and it was just her laying low and doing her thing with freinds

I've had face-to-face convos with over 100 politicians whom most would recognize. I've had face-to-face convos with several news personalities, as well.

I've had face-to-face convos with several Nobel Prize winners (maybe seven, off the top of my head), as well, and tons of authors.

Entertainment stars (other than news characters), none that I recall. Well, I once waited on James Drury (The Virginian) when I was working summers in college.

ETA: Last summer, met Linda Carter (Wonder Woman) while shopping. She helped me decide on a home item when shopping in Middleburg, VA. Same with Robert Duvall - met him in a cafe, talked politics, and finished my drink with him. He seems to have similar political views to mine - he appreciates the TP.

Last edited:
lots of punk bands before they became big ..green day and nirvana being the most recognizable...but the biggest kick was hanging out with joni Mitchell for three days..she was a total chronic and i hooked her up with some awesome skunk weed and it turned into three magic days of weed, wine, Greek food and jams and partys.. I just drove her around and kept on rollin em up...I took her out dancing and when she would go to the washroom people would come running over in awe asking if that was joni but they would scatter on her return not wanting to intrude...or like the Wayne and Garth were not worthy thing..she had the most respectful fans imaginable and joni was very cool. natural,humble and totally captivating it was like the most fun ever and it was just her laying low and doing her thing with freinds

What a dream of a story, had to be truly magical. I went to see Joni backed by Tom Scott and the LA Express........ must of been around 73 or 74. I had some great hash oil laced joints for the concert but the girl I had a date with didn't want to smoke. I didn't have tickets so I went to the ticket office and they said someone had returned 2 because they were sick. I asked if they were any good, the clerk said that I wouldn't be disappointed. 9th row center!!!!! Joni was so mesmerizing, I felt like I had done some acid and I hadn't even had a beer. What was really funny was that I wasn't a big fan but a friend said I should go..... he saw me with binoculars from way back in the crowd. :badgrin:

John Ritter, James Woods, Don Adams, Janet Reno, Wayne LaPierre, Condoleeza Rice, Fred Thompson, John Roberts (Supreme Court) John Ashcroft, Alberto Gonzales, A few famous Japanese people you wouldn't know. Bunch of Drag Racing guys you wouldn't know.
The Sex Pistols, Zakk Wylde, Pulled Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx out of the crowd at a show they did in Japan. Earth Wind and Fire singer.
The one guy in American Pie who was in love with Stiflers Mother. My wife pointed him out at a Supermarket in SoCal so I went up to him and asked "Are you...?" he said "Absolutely!". Real nice guy.

Last edited:
We ran into O.J. and Nicole at a restaurant in Atlanta six months before Nicole was murdered. They were making out while waiting for a table. That was weird.

But several years ago we stayed at the same hotel as Whitney Houston in P.R. and half the beach was roped off for her entourage and security people. The following weekend I talked with Bruce Springsteen at a bar in NJ. He was alone - no entourage; no security. Totally unpretentious unlike Ms. Houston. I thought to myself - who's the bigger star?

Forum List

Back