What Famous Personalities Have You Met Or Gotten In Close Proximity To…?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bayoubill, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    the ones that come to mind for me…

I and several of my fellow high school students had a personal audience with Mayor Richard Daley in his office, on a 1968 field trip to Chicago with a teacher who had taught his sons…

I met and spent time with Murray Rothbard, libertarian philosophical icon, during a 1980 Libertarian Party convention in Houston…

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip passed within 20 feet of me in their motorcade convertible as it slowly drove by where I was standing (Calgary, 1973)… next day, saw them along with Pierre and Margaret Trudeau about 50 yards away from where I was standing at the Calgary Stampede…

I was standing about 50 yards away from Richard Nixon when he made a whistle-stop at the train station in our town in 1960…

I was standing about 20 yards away from the motorcade of Charles De Gaulle when he was being driven past my neighborhood on a 1959 visit to New Orleans…

I was at the edge of the stage about 20-30 feet from Janis Joplin during her performance at a 1969 rock festival…

sometime in the mid-80's, I met Stevie Ray Vaughn backstage at a local roadhouse owned by a friend of mine...

I’ll mebbe think of others later…

2. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Dolly Parton.
    I guess it's because she lives in Tennessee and so do I.....plus she happens to have her own theme park, named Dollywood and I live very close to it~
    She doesn't go to that amusement park often, but on rare occasions, when she is promoting something or when it's the Anniversary of the park, she has been known to make appearances.
    I saw her once there, at Dollywood......she is indeed a beautiful lady, full of giggles.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    she seems like a genuinely sweet person... I love her dimple...

her voice is pitched a bit too high for me to enjoy most times...

but I do like this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ]Dolly Parton - I will always love you - YouTube[/ame]

4. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Caddied for Kevin McHale, Ray Scott, Carl Pohlad, Ernie Banks, and Padraig Harrington in the '93 Walker Cup.

Saw Patrick Roy at the Residence Inn in Highlands Ranch, CO, getting a cup of coffee on the fly...Just smiled, gave him a discreet thumbs up and he mouthed "thank you", probably just as much for not alerting the roomful of people munching on their breakfasts an the greeting.

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,336
    I went to Grammar School with Mel Gibson

6. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,627
    Grandpa, from The Munsters sat next to me in a Hollywood diner when I was a kid.

I caught a pass from jim Jensen of Miami Dolphin fame.

I got shit faced drunk with Jon Gruden when he was the Raider's coach right before joining the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I met and shook hands with Larry the Cable Guy, Tiger Woods, Jack Youngblood, Patrick Stewart, Bret Spiner, and Mila Jovovich.

7. NoNukes

NoNukes Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,131
    Keith Richards and his band the Expensive Winos. Eric Clapton. Miles Davis. Dizzy Gillespie. Chet Baker. John Heard, Willam Hurt, John Goodman. Margot Kidder. Owned a club where the cast of Saturday Night Live used to come for their after after the show party when Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley were on the show. Steven Wright. Bill Murray. Joe Cocker. Arthur and Red Prysock. Elaine Newman. Richard Harris. Nick Nolte.

8. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Had Michael Hays and Jimmy Garvin get me drunk as a skunk, as I mimicked their shticks at a bar in Minneapolis.

9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320

I saw Lenny Kravitz play drums for open mike night once a couple years ago.
    I saw the "Chief" from battlestar galactica at a restaurant in New Orleans
    I've seen a couple of Saints players at strip clubs.

10. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    I met Richard J Daley when my brother's team won the Little League championship in Comiskey Park.

I met Larry Lujack when I won a prize from WCFL radio, and had to pick it up at the station.

I had a good conversation with Senator Paul Simon in O'Hare Airport while waiting for the wife to come back from a trip.

And I met Emo Phillips when his mother had a garage sale at his home in Downers Grove.