What Does this Nobel Prize Mean?

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
So many on this board seem to believe that America is "stronger" when we bully and bluster our way around the globe demanding our way at the point of a sword. But that "strength" is not strength at all. Because no matter how superior our military might - we could not stand alone against the entire world.

Our strength lies in our military might COUPLED with our friendships around the world. You can't live at peace with ONLY friendships and you can't live at peace with JUST military might. If you put all of your eggs in just one of these baskets, you will fail.

The fact that I value friendships as well as a potent military means I value a strong and secure America. Anyone who can't support BOTH - does not.

THAT is why people who do love America and who DO favor a strong and secure America should realize that what this award really means is that we are making good progress on at least 50% of the goal. No more - no less.

We hope we can be every bit as successful with the other 50% as well.

I know that it is to much to ask of the hyper-partisan zealots who appear to live and breathe for the sole purpose of tearing down Obama at any cost (even at the cost of our national security) to acknowledge this obvious truth. That's OK, keep whining about what a disgrace this award is and how it wasn't earned and hope and pray that you can convince yourself or others of the validity of your arguments. But do it secure in the knowledge that America is safer and more secure - in part - because of the international goodwill this award represents.

We are not impressed.

When you say "we" are you reffering to ALL the voices in your head or just a couple of them?

But it doesn't matter how many of you are impressed. Maybe a nuclear first-strike would impress you more - who knows????? But the fact of the matter - no matter how impressive the voices in your head find it - is that this award represents a step toward a safer and more secure America.

If THAT doesn't impress your voices - then all I can say is that I value different things than your voices do.

Making another topic on this still isn't listing all those wonderful accomplishments in the 12 DAYS he was in office to warrant even being nominated for this award. Great job at deflecting the question though.

We are not impressed.

When you say "we" are you reffering to ALL the voices in your head or just a couple of them?

But it doesn't matter how many of you are impressed. Maybe a nuclear first-strike would impress you more - who knows????? But the fact of the matter - no matter how impressive the voices in your head find it - is that this award represents a step toward a safer and more secure America.

If THAT doesn't impress your voices - then all I can say is that I value different things than your voices do.

you are so easily duped. It's embarassing for you.

Making another topic on this still isn't listing all those wonderful accomplishments in the 12 DAYS he was in office to warrant even being nominated for this award. Great job at deflecting the question though.

like that guy on snl said "what he's done amounts to two things. "jack" and "squat." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think when so many in the United States and so many around the international community "see things" that you don't see - you have to wonder - whose vision is blurred?

I think when so many in the United States and so many around the international community "see things" that you don't see - you have to wonder - whose vision is blurred?

what did they spike your kool aid with this morning? I see things getting worse by the second. 35,000 people in Detroit lined up for handouts that only 3,500 will receive and violence breaks out. 30% unemployment in Detroit. the bastion of liberalism and the union empire.. and you want to pat yourself on the back? Go ahead.

what did they spike your kool aid with this morning? I see things getting worse by the second. 35,000 people in Detroit lined up for handouts that only 3,500 will receive and violence breaks out. 30% unemployment in Detroit. the bastion of liberalism and the union empire.. and you want to pat yourself on the back? Go ahead.

Oh, I see - the Nobel Peace Prize should be linked to unemployment rates in Detroit, Mi, USA?????

Man, you are really scratching and clawing aren't you? LOL.

I'm sorry that you don't value a safer and more secure America - sort of calls all your other opinions into serious question. But all I can say is that it just reminds me how very grateful I am that your ilk aren't calling the shots.

Oh well....I can see already that regardless of how many times the word "accomplishments" is thrown out there that NO ONE is going to list those accomplishments garnered in the 12 DAYS between when he took office and when he was nominated. Guess I'll go do something productive like spend money!!!

By the way Nodog......I trust all is well with you and yours! If you are the nodog I've shared many enjoyable conversations with, it is truely good to talk with you again. If not, well it's very nice to make your aquaintance.....just incase...this is icemansdarlin.

Oh, I see - the Nobel Peace Prize should be linked to unemployment rates in Detroit, Mi, USA?????

I'm sorry that you don't value a safer and more secure America - sort of calls all your other opinions into serious question. But all I can say is that it just reminds me how very grateful I am that your ilk aren't calling the shots.

I'm missing a part of the puzzle. what makes you think we are safer and more secure? I see no indications of that. My ilk would like to know.

I'm missing a part of the puzzle. what makes you think we are safer and more secure? I see no indications of that. My ilk would like to know.

We're safer because Obama went to Egypt and prostrated himself at the altar of Islam. He demonstated that the US has the backbone of a marshmellow. Heck we're not even worth attacking anymore. We don't have any money because he done spent it all. He'll solve the Arab Israeli thing by getting rid of Israel. And we don't have any power because he is cutting defense spending.

I think he got the prize under affirmative action rules.

Oh well....I can see already that regardless of how many times the word "accomplishments" is thrown out there that NO ONE is going to list those accomplishments garnered in the 12 DAYS between when he took office and when he was nominated. Guess I'll go do something productive like spend money!!!

By the way Nodog......I trust all is well with you and yours! If you are the nodog I've shared many enjoyable conversations with, it is truely good to talk with you again. If not, well it's very nice to make your aquaintance.....just incase...this is icemansdarlin.

HEY ICEMAN'S DARLIN' - Great to "see" you again. Always enjoy "mixing it up" with you. I hope things are going great for you.

The accomplishments I reffer to is the restoration of US prestige abroad. The accomplishment of putting the considerable weight of the United States of America behind a cooperative international peace.

What Obama hit the ground running to accomplish - and putting all the weight of his "leader of the free world" status behind - was to assure the world that the U.S. is NOT an agressor nation - we are a nation who will put our might behind cooperative efforts to achieve peace and security in the U.S. and abroad.

He's a politician and what do politicians do - mostly they make speeches. And he made speeches that inspired confidence a renewed committment to peace and the peace process. It appears he was very effective and that revival of international respect helps make the U.S. safer and more secure imho.

Last edited:
That was covered pretty extensively in my first post. Do I need to copy and paste that whole first post again - or will you scroll up a bit and read it?

Last edited:
So many on this board seem to believe that America is "stronger" when we bully and bluster our way around the globe demanding our way at the point of a sword. But that "strength" is not strength at all. Because no matter how superior our military might - we could not stand alone against the entire world.

Our strength lies in our military might COUPLED with our friendships around the world. You can't live at peace with ONLY friendships and you can't live at peace with JUST military might. If you put all of your eggs in just one of these baskets, you will fail.

The fact that I value friendships as well as a potent military means I value a strong and secure America. Anyone who can't support BOTH - does not.

THAT is why people who do love America and who DO favor a strong and secure America should realize that what this award really means is that we are making good progress on at least 50% of the goal. No more - no less.

We hope we can be every bit as successful with the other 50% as well.

I know that it is to much to ask of the hyper-partisan zealots who appear to live and breathe for the sole purpose of tearing down Obama at any cost (even at the cost of our national security) to acknowledge this obvious truth. That's OK, keep whining about what a disgrace this award is and how it wasn't earned and hope and pray that you can convince yourself or others of the validity of your arguments. But do it secure in the knowledge that America is safer and more secure - in part - because of the international goodwill this award represents.

While your no doubt proud that President Obama has gotten this reward and of course you have every right to feel that way. When people point out that this reward is somewhat premature and that is comming from the right and left not just from the right it does not make them in any way unamerican. In fact I will point out that a jury member when Jimmy Carter was rewarded the prize in 2002, told TAS that he "hopes this is a kick in the pants to the Bush Administration" and repeated the same statement when Al Gore was given the prize in 2007. So perhaps this is less about President Obama and the selection committee's happiness that George Bush is no longer in office. Even Lech Walesa a prize winner when asked about it, said the same thing, "it's too soon for him to receive a prize" . Again, this has nothing to to with Obama hatred and nothing to to do with his accomplishments at all.

HEY ICEMAN'S DARLIN' - Great to "see" you again. Always enjoy "mixing it up" with you. I hope things are going great for you.

The accomplishments I reffer to is the restoration of US prestige abroad. The accomplishment of putting the considerable weight of the United States of America behind a cooperative international peace.

What Obama hit the ground running to accomplish - and putting all the weight of his "leader of the free world" status behind - was to assure the world that the U.S. is NOT an agressor nation - we are a nation who will put our might behind cooperative efforts to achieve peace and security in the U.S. and abroad.

He's a politician and what do politicians do - mostly they make speeches. And he made speeches that inspired confidence a renewed committment to peace and the peace process. It appears he was very effective and that revival of international respect helps make the U.S. safer and more secure imho.

He did all this in 12 days?
Actually he has failed to close Gitmo. He is expanding the war in Afghanistan. He is maintaining troops in Iraq. He is moving, with the speed of a sloth on Qaaludes, to confronting Iran. He is emboldening the Palestinians to resume attacks on Israel.
All this merits international respect?
Feh, who needs it?

That was covered pretty extensively in my first post. Do I need to copy and paste that whole first post again - or will you scroll up a bit and read it?

Actually - since threads seem to wander around so much - I really have no problem pasting it again - maybe it can help in keeping the thread focus intact. I've pasted the part that applied to your question:

"So many on this board seem to believe that America is "stronger" when we bully and bluster our way around the globe demanding our way at the point of a sword. But that "strength" is not strength at all. Because no matter how superior our military might - we could not stand alone against the entire world.

We hope we can be every bit as successful with the other 50% as well."

Last edited:

We're safer because Obama went to Egypt and prostrated himself at the altar of Islam. He demonstated that the US has the backbone of a marshmellow. Heck we're not even worth attacking anymore. We don't have any money because he done spent it all. He'll solve the Arab Israeli thing by getting rid of Israel. And we don't have any power because he is cutting defense spending.

I think he got the prize under affirmative action rules.

One quarter of the worlds population follows Islam. Obama has been recognized for offering a hand to the billion plus followers of Islam.
Perhaps the continued threats and degrading comments towards Islam is not the way to keep them from hating us.

Obama has managed to keep our country safe for a longer period than BOOOOOOSH did.

Congratulations to President Obama...the entire world is recognizing you for your efforts at diplomacy

Forum List

Back