What Does the "Land of Opportunity" Mean to You?

Amazon

Nov 9, 2014
In your own words, please describe what you think the phrase "Land of Opportunity" means to you.

An area of ground, especially in terms of its ownership or use expressing the relationship between a part and a whole providing a set of circumstances that makes "it" possible.

It used to mean you were free to come here and do everything in your power to prosper and live free of government interference. Now it means you're free to work for the government in one way or another

The only way that we're equal is that we're human. Government should do nothing to facilitate or retard anyone's achievements. It should not try to make us equal after the fact.

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is inefficiency. An efficient bureaucracy is the greatest threat to liberty.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.Eugene McCarthy

It used to mean you were free to come here and do everything in your power to prosper and live free of government interference. Now it means you're free to work for the government in one way or another
Yeah, those were the dayz, when you raped the land and kill the natives, taking what was once some one elses, gives a man a sense of satisfaction....

An area of ground, especially in terms of its ownership or use expressing the relationship between a part and a whole providing a set of circumstances that makes "it" possible.
Are you saying that owning acreage gives one a sense of belonging?

No... That would be the kinship to the land wrought by one's experience relating to the land.
What experience relates one to the land...??

To me, it means that you have a better chance at having a good life compared to being in other areas of the planet.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

It use to mean you could come here to be free from a tyrant government and make your life Rich or Poor, without other's poking their noses into your life. Now it means jumping over a border so you they can come and live off others.

Now we are Heading to NO opportunities and third world status here we come

In my opinion, the Land of Opportunity is a reference to immigrants who come to America seeking the opportunities that their home countries could not, or would not, afford them.

It could also be applied to citizens, but I'm really not sure where the phrase originated, and the context under which it was phrased.

It use to mean you could come here to be free from a tyrant government and make your life Rich or Poor, without other's poking their noses into your life. Now it means jumping over a border so you they can come and live off others.

I agree that it is harder now to enter the country than it once was.

Am I correct in assuming that you think the nature of the immigrants has changed, and that all undocumented immigrants are now parasites?

Unfortunately, it mainly applies to immigrants. (Many) immigrants perceive that this is a country where if your work your ass off, make intelligent choices, and take well-calculated risks, you can prosper. And if you don't prosper, you can at least make sure your kids do (mainly through higher education).

The number of examples is countless, and many of us have examples in our own families of parents, grandparents or other family members who came here with nothing but a willingness to work hard and an entrepreneurial attitude, and streaked right up to the prosperous "Middle Class."

For people who were born here, we don't see opportunity in the same way. We are resentful of people who steal from others (and from Government - which is us), and people who make it Big without working hard - at least in our perception, and we go through life hoping to get rich doing "something I enjoy doing," which is horse-shit.

Look at how much of our cornucopia of "reality television" is one form or another of people trying to get rich by doing stupid things, or by being more obnoxious than everyone else.

I agree that it is harder now to enter the country than it once was.

Am I correct in assuming that you think the nature of the immigrants has changed, and that all undocumented immigrants are now parasites?

Think whatever the hell you want. I've watched the country change over 60years so what do you think I think? Do you also want to know what I think of your silly stupid questions? :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back