What Does Santa Claus Have To Do With Christianity?

Do you even know what anthropology is, nitwit?

I think you don't.
an·thro·pol·o·gy [an-thruh-pol-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun
the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.
the study of human beings' similarity to and divergence from other animals.
the science of humans and their works.
Also called philosophical anthropology. the study of the nature and essence of humankind.

now you know!

What Does Santa Claus Have To Do With Christianity?

Santa gives gifts freely.
Christ gave miracles and teachings.
Santa keeps track of naughty and nice.
Christ asks everyone to love everyone else. He keeps track too.
Gifts are supposed to mean someting special, from the heart. Like, donating blankets to the pound so dogs don't have to lay on cold cement. Giving a homeless person a meal. Treating a child with apples and oranges and maybe a piece of candy.
Jesus gave instructions, love, caring. Santa got all retail on us.

Are they similar? Yes. What does it have to do with christianity? All forgot the meaning of giving and receiving. They forgot the SPIRIT of what both are supposed to represent.

Just my humble opinion.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
To be fair, lots of the "library" works regarding Pagan mythology and connections to Christianity aren't any better than Wikipedia.

"Old Nick?" Really? :lol: That was a good one.

When I get nothing more substantial than "that's a good one" and "revisionist BS" I know I've made the point.

Difference between Wiki and a library: books get vetted, but you can go to Wiki right now and decree that the sky is green. If you want.

As I said, come up with some documentation of the mythical saint, and we'll talk Turkey. Until then it's hot air.
snore.gif

no, you did not make a point.

you put a tinfoil hat on yourself - that is what you have done :)

Your complete inability to refute me with anything but gainsaying and tinfoil hats shows that I did.

Deal with it.

When I get nothing more substantial than "that's a good one" and "revisionist BS" I know I've made the point.

Difference between Wiki and a library: books get vetted, but you can go to Wiki right now and decree that the sky is green. If you want.

As I said, come up with some documentation of the mythical saint, and we'll talk Turkey. Until then it's hot air.
snore.gif

Your complete inability to refute me with anything but gainsaying and tinfoil hats shows that I did.

Deal with it.

your complete inability to understand that I don't even plan to refute you as somebody who is on the level of basic math would not understand the explanation of the algebra theorem.

deal with it. or learn algebra :D

Deal with it.

your complete inability to understand that I don't even plan to refute you as somebody who is on the level of basic math would not understand the explanation of the algebra theorem.

deal with it. or learn algebra :D

Wake me when you come up with something a little more solidified than "because I said so". K?
sleepy.gif

yammer yammer yammer

I have a mythology library and decades of personal research and writing, and you have ... Wikipedia.

Who da laughingstock now, beeatch?

Sorry, saying so doesn't make it so. Document that St. Nick is who you say he is and we'll talk Turkey.

Ho ho ho.

To be fair, lots of the "library" works regarding Pagan mythology and connections to Christianity aren't any better than Wikipedia.

snore.gif

Oh, I thought you were making your statement in jest - as a poke to those who are overly connected to the idea of an actual Santa Claus being the sole inspiration for Christmas and all things wonderful and Protestant.

Are you saying that your sources have actually been vetted because they are books? :lol: Please detail to us the actual process by which your sources were "vetted."

For reference, here are some actual lies that were published in books:

-Nero -fiddled while Rome burned
-Galileo was ostracized because of the Pope, and not because of other scientists.
-A Million Little Pieces
-Pitdown Man

Last edited:

snore.gif

Oh, I thought you were making your statement in jest - as a poke to those who are overly connected to the idea of an actual Santa Claus being the sole inspiration for Christmas and all things wonderful and Protestant.

Are you saying that your sources have actually been vetted because they are books? :lol: Please detail to us the actual process by which your sources were "vetted."

-Galileo was ostracized because of the Pope, and not because of other scientists.
-A Million Little Pieces
-Pitdown Man

The Four Strawmen of the Can'tThinkOfARetortaclypse? Really?

As a musician I'm well aware that Nero played a lyre, but I think everybody is. The fact remains you've listed a series of urban legends and misnomers while citing no sources. I OTOH cited my sources, and their publishers, so there's your vetting. And in contrast, you or I or any ignoramus can go to Wiki right now and make the page say that Nero played a fiddle, and until somebody corrects it, there it is.

Some of y'all just don't know when you're licked.

Anything else?

Last edited:

snore.gif

-A Million Little Pieces
-Pitdown Man

As a musician I'm well aware that Nero played a lyre, but I think everybody is. The fact remains you've listed a series of urban legends and misnomers while citing no sources. I OTOH cited my sources, and their publishers, so there's your vetting. And in contrast, you or I or any ignoramus can go to Wiki right now and make the page say that Nero played a fiddle, and until somebody corrects it, there it is.

Anything else?

So you're stuck on the Wikipedia thing.

Good luck.

-A Million Little Pieces
-Pitdown Man

Anything else?

So you're stuck on the Wikipedia thing.

Good luck.

No, that was Koshergrrrrrrrrrrrr. I transcended Wiki. Which, as already demonstrated, isn't always accurate.

Santa Clause in some way existed as a real person. He embodied Christ's virtue of giving and forgiveness. Saint Nick is long dead but his legacy of giving is symbolized by the gifts we give each other. It is supposed to be a time of joy and setting aside old grievances forgiving one another as Jesus forgave those who killed him.

These concepts are personal to Christianity and so important that the Spirit of giving has spread around the world even in Islam, even under communism. Christmas might be the most potent force the world has ever seen and it undoubtably came from Christianity.

Santa Claus, as used today has nothing at all to do with any religion at all. Unless you wanna claim Kris Kringle was Christian or the Saint Nicholaus (who was probably Christian) were. But since neither of them are the 'jolly fat man in red' it's kinda moot.

The orign of the holiday goes back to the Roman Empire and the attempt by the early Catholic Church to get pagans into the church by allowing them to bring their Satarnalia (sp) festival with them by tweaking it a little into a more religiously consistent holiday. But the hyper-commercialized holiday of today has nothing to do with any of that. As with many US holidays, the name and little else was co-opted.

Is Santa Claus a Christian symbol?

If so, please break it down for me by showing me how.

As it stands, I don't see how a mythical character is a symbol for Christianity.

In fact, I believe it distorts it, certainly if and/or when it's used as symbol for Christianity.

I look forward to your responses.

He's NOT a symbol for Christianity.

duh!

Santa Claus, as used today has nothing at all to do with any religion at all. Unless you wanna claim Kris Kringle was Christian or the Saint Nicholaus (who was probably Christian) were. But since neither of them are the 'jolly fat man in red' it's kinda moot.

The orign of the holiday goes back to the Roman Empire and the attempt by the early Catholic Church to get pagans into the church by allowing them to bring their Satarnalia (sp) festival with them by tweaking it a little into a more religiously consistent holiday. But the hyper-commercialized holiday of today has nothing to do with any of that. As with many US holidays, the name and little else was co-opted.

an example of the brainwashed ignorant leftie with "knowledge" from flashy newspaper articles or trendy books.
which do not have anything to do with historic facts, but who cares - they SELL :lol:

an example of the brainwashed ignorant leftie with "knowledge" from flashy newspaper articles or trendy books.
which do not have anything to do with historic facts, but who cares - they SELL :lol:

Good point. Let's clean up the erroneous part:

Saturnalia - with a U. As in Saturn the god/planet. "St. Nicholas", well we already exposed that.

There. All fixed.

Santa Clause in some way existed as a real person. He embodied Christ's virtue of giving and forgiveness. Saint Nick is long dead but his legacy of giving is symbolized by the gifts we give each other. It is supposed to be a time of joy and setting aside old grievances forgiving one another as Jesus forgave those who killed him.

These concepts are personal to Christianity and so important that the Spirit of giving has spread around the world even in Islam, even under communism. Christmas might be the most potent force the world has ever seen and it undoubtably came from Christianity.
false Christmas is a conglomeration of rituals and festivals from the middle east and Europe, usurped and Christianized.
please don't falsely state giving and forgiveness are exclusively Christian.

Santa Claus is just a mythological interpretation of a Saint from ancient times.

The usage of this mythological person(Santa, not the Saint) is to help inspire charitable behavior, the kind of behavior that Jesus is suppose to have taught his followers.

So, yes, there is a relationship between Santa and Christmas.

Santa has taken over Christmas

In the celebration of Christmas, I see many people dressed up like Santa....never seen anyone dressed as Jesus

Christians are not concerned if non Christians don't get.

That is their problem, not ours.

Forum List

Back