What Does Santa Claus Have To Do With Christianity?

Santa has taken over Christmas

In the celebration of Christmas, I see many people dressed up like Santa....never seen anyone dressed as Jesus

Probably because there are some christians who may take offense to someone dressing up like Jesus.

Think about it, what if Rob Ford decided to dress up like Jesus? Or we could use the local priest or rev. What if your priest decided to dress up like Jesus? It probably depends(like if it was part of an act or simply artistic function of evangelizing) but most probably would not like it if it seemed like they are trivializing their religion.

I think this is why muslims frown on reproducing the image of muhummad. It can become trivialized and even disrespected.

Is Santa Claus a Christian symbol?

If so, please break it down for me by showing me how.

As it stands, I don't see how a mythical character is a symbol for Christianity.

In fact, I believe it distorts it, certainly if and/or when it's used as symbol for Christianity.

I look forward to your responses.

Both Santa Claus and Jesus are believable by Christians who have no idea who our Creator is.

Santa Claus is just a mythological interpretation of a Saint from ancient times.

The usage of this mythological person(Santa, not the Saint) is to help inspire charitable behavior, the kind of behavior that Jesus is suppose to have taught his followers.

So, yes, there is a relationship between Santa and Christmas.

True, and Santa is descended from "St. Nicholas", the mythological figure who was the Santa of his day, and Old Nick in turn descended from Artemis and Poseidon with a twist of the Grandmother of Bari. And so it goes.

In the celebration of Christmas, I see many people dressed up like Santa....never seen anyone dressed as Jesus

Sure we do. Nativity scenes?

Probably because there are some christians who may take offense to someone dressing up like Jesus.

Think about it, what if Rob Ford decided to dress up like Jesus? Or we could use the local priest or rev. What if your priest decided to dress up like Jesus? It probably depends(like if it was part of an act or simply artistic function of evangelizing) but most probably would not like it if it seemed like they are trivializing their religion.

I think this is why muslims frown on reproducing the image of muhummad. It can become trivialized and even disrespected.

We drove through a life nativity scene with live animals this year.

No.

N/A

As it stands, I don't see how a mythical character is a symbol for Christianity.

Christianity contains myriads of mythical characters, but Santa Claus is not one of them.

In fact, I believe it distorts it, certainly if and/or when it's used as symbol for Christianity.

I'm not sure what "it" is that is being distorted. Winter Solstice?

did you kill anybody?

Whats does Marxism have to do with blacks and why do you wish to keep your people in chains to their democrat slave masters?

Santa is Odin. When the Vikings were forbidden to worship the Norse Gods, they transmogrified Odin into Santa.

boedicca-albums-mo-mo-mo-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6292-santa-copy.jpg

Irrefutable Proof that Santa is Odin « Mirovia

Exactly how does a tradition of charitable giving to the poor and needy transmogrify into giving gifts to children, relatives and wealthy friends?

Whats does Marxism have to do with blacks and why do you wish to keep your people in chains to their democrat slave masters?
as opposed the their republican slave masters?

Seeing as republicans freed the slaves from democrats I would say they are safe from us enslaving them again....To bad they went the other way back into chains.

I think that most of what we do to celebrate Christmas has little or nothing to do with Christ, except for the exhortations for peace and brotherhood, but most religions believe in that. Christmas is a holy day for those who are religious, but those folks also do the non-religious things too, like the tree, presents, and Santa. The parties, drinking, eating, decorations, etc. None of that has to do with Christ, but most of it is fun, and I think Christ would be happy for people to be happy and have fun. Helping others, giving to the poor, etc., those are Christian values that many express at Christmas time. It's a totally mixed bag. I don't see a problem. There is so little joy in life: why can't people just enjoy the season and the festivities without it having to be 100% religious? No, current day Santa has nothing to do with Christianity, but giving does, and today's Santa is based on Saint Nicolas, who gave gifts and performed miracles in the 4th century.

Last edited:
Seeing as republicans freed the slaves from democrats I would say they are safe from us enslaving them again....To bad they went the other way back into chains.
a half truth..the Lincoln republicans freed the slaves....not the "modern" republicans..your comparison is false, as evidenced by the complexion of the republican party since then.

"No, current day Santa has nothing to do with Christianity, but giving does, and today's Santa is based on Saint Nicolas, who gave gifts and performed miracles in the 4th century."

Giving your kid an iphone or the latest "Grand Theft Auto" video game, or your spouse an ipad or piece of jewelry is supposed to celebrate and honor the memory of someone who liquidated their entire fortune and spent it on relieving the suffering of the poor is "a miracle"?

a half truth..the Lincoln republicans freed the slaves....not the "modern" republicans..your comparison is false, as evidenced by the complexion of the republican party since then.

LOL so freeing them from government entanglement and offering them better better opportunities for success means enslaving them? LMAO

did you kill anybody?

Exactly how does a tradition of charitable giving to the poor and needy transmogrify into giving gifts to children, relatives and wealthy friends?
great question!

It's a stupid question, and the answer is self evident, thus undeserving of an answer.

And the self evident answer is "christianity".

Forum List

Back