What Does God Really Want From Marriage

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
First off, my disclaimers. This is NOT a thread about homosexual relationships. If you want to proselytize either for or against, go start your own thread.

This is also NOT a thread about whether or not you believe in God or think people who do are idiots. If you came in here wanting to post about how there is no God and so no one should care what He wants from marriage, do us all a favor and go fuck yourself now.

As to the reason I AM starting this thread . . .

As many of you are aware, I have decided to end my marriage of 18 years. Despite having asked virtually no one's opinion or input on this decision, I have nevertheless received a deluge of same, nonetheless. While most has simply been of the "I'm sorry for your pain and I wish you the best" variety - for which I am profoundly grateful - many people have felt the need to project their feelings about their own relationships or their parents' divorces or what-have-you onto me, and many others have felt compelled to tell me how I'm going against God's will and committing a sin. It is this last that I wish to discuss.

While I am sure many of you consider my abrupt and abrasive manner and salty speech to be at odds with your personal views of what Christians should be like, I am in fact quite concerned about what God expects from me and what His will for my life is. I gave a great deal of consideration to this before I decided to end my marriage, and I continue to consider it throughout this confusing time.

It has always seemed to me that human beings love to have set rules and routines and procedures to follow for everything, to the point where we create them even where they're not necessary or even counter-productive. Anyone who's ever dealt with a bureaucracy can testify to this. I have often thought that a large part of every organized religion blurs from trying to understand God's will and purpose to trying to turn Christianity into a bureaucracy. (No, this is not a rant against organized religion. It still beats disorganized religion, in my opinion.)

What I hear so little of today, in the morass of "God works in mysterious ways" mysticism that passes for theology, is WHY God gives us rules to live our lives by. The truth is that there is not a single rule of behavior handed down in the Bible that doesn't actually have a purpose for existing, a goal it's trying to achieve, and a consequence it is trying to prevent.

So what is God's purpose in the institution of marriage? And how is it served - if, indeed, it IS served - by the rigid ideology and dogma so many Christians attach to it of "preserve the marriage at all costs"? I'm not saying that the quick and easy "You don't make my toes curl anymore, so I'm outta here" attitude toward marriage that seems so prevalent these days is ideal for Christians or anyone else, but does God really value the institution itself above everything else, simply for its own sake? Or does it, like all other institutions, exist for a purpose that it must serve in order to have value? If so, what is that purpose?

First off, my disclaimers. This is NOT a thread about homosexual relationships. If you want to proselytize either for or against, go start your own thread.

This is also NOT a thread about whether or not you believe in God or think people who do are idiots. If you came in here wanting to post about how there is no God and so no one should care what He wants from marriage, do us all a favor and go fuck yourself now.

As many of you are aware, I have decided to end my marriage of 18 years. Despite having asked virtually no one's opinion or input on this decision, I have nevertheless received a deluge of same, nonetheless. While most has simply been of the "I'm sorry for your pain and I wish you the best" variety - for which I am profoundly grateful - many people have felt the need to project their feelings about their own relationships or their parents' divorces or what-have-you onto me, and many others have felt compelled to tell me how I'm going against God's will and committing a sin. It is this last that I wish to discuss.

While I am sure many of you consider my abrupt and abrasive manner and salty speech to be at odds with your personal views of what Christians should be like, I am in fact quite concerned about what God expects from me and what His will for my life is. I gave a great deal of consideration to this before I decided to end my marriage, and I continue to consider it throughout this confusing time.

It has always seemed to me that human beings love to have set rules and routines and procedures to follow for everything, to the point where we create them even where they're not necessary or even counter-productive. Anyone who's ever dealt with a bureaucracy can testify to this. I have often thought that a large part of every organized religion blurs from trying to understand God's will and purpose to trying to turn Christianity into a bureaucracy. (No, this is not a rant against organized religion. It still beats disorganized religion, in my opinion.)

What I hear so little of today, in the morass of "God works in mysterious ways" mysticism that passes for theology, is WHY God gives us rules to live our lives by. The truth is that there is not a single rule of behavior handed down in the Bible that doesn't actually have a purpose for existing, a goal it's trying to achieve, and a consequence it is trying to prevent.

So what is God's purpose in the institution of marriage? And how is it served - if, indeed, it IS served - by the rigid ideology and dogma so many Christians attach to it of "preserve the marriage at all costs"? I'm not saying that the quick and easy "You don't make my toes curl anymore, so I'm outta here" attitude toward marriage that seems so prevalent these days is ideal for Christians or anyone else, but does God really value the institution itself above everything else, simply for its own sake? Or does it, like all other institutions, exist for a purpose that it must serve in order to have value? If so, what is that purpose?

I read your thread about your impending divorce last week but I did not respond. I decided to think about what you had said and pray for God to give you wisdom in seeing what you should do. Now that you have written this thread and asked for my opinion, I'll give it to you. Don't do it. Why? The scriptures say, God hates divorce. Is this going to be easy for you? No. Because you have already set it in mind ( somewhat it appears ) that there is no future with this man. What if, Cecilie, your husband were to discover some patent for a highly profitable item and he suddenly becomes a millionaire. Wasn't the premise of your decision based on your having valued certain things differently? He was not as motivated in this uncertain economy as you - you had perceived this and based your decision somewhat on a changeable fact. Facts change but truth does not.

The truth is you are in a covenant, not a contract. What is Gods will concerning a covenant? It cannot be broken for one. It doesn't have an expiration date. It doesn't change one iota due to sickness, poverty, even infidelity ( truth be known that was because of the hardness of their hearts Moses included that loop hole) and in that covenant you have all provision. Outside of it are variable curses for breaking it. Which is why the Jews didn't break their covenants with God. They knew better. For better or worse, what you are in is a covenant. Not a contract. I'd like to write more but I have to go so I will end here for now. I am continuing to pray for you Cecilie and especially for wisdom because I know that what you are going through is not easy. Before I go let me say that your child (I believe you said was 4 yrs old) is a gift from God. The child is given to both of you to raise, nurture, protect, bring into their destiny by example ( sacrifice ) and that will require both of you being there. - Jeremiah

The Jews didn't break their covenant with God? Ha Ha Ha! Tell me another joke!

That's enough, BIK. This is a serious discussion and if you are not going to respect her wish to have some honest, sincere, thoughts about what she is going through than you should stay off of this thread. Show some respect here! Please! - Jeri

I'd like to come back and add to this but let me say this now: I think Cecilie is an amazing woman with alot of courage. I find her honesty and transparency about her situation to be amazing. I have even asked myself in recent days would I have the same courage to be so open in a forum such as this one. I don't knkow if I would or not. But I find her honesty refreshing. - Jeremiah

Cecile, I don't think you went against God's will for divorcing. It actually could be better for you and for your spiritual life. I don't know all your details so I can't speak of the morality to the divorce. But you said you took many considerations. To your question on God, whoever said God works in mysterious ways is pretty fun. It makes it sound like an excuse. God says what he says and purposefully made things these ways. Think of life like a roller coaster ride, it has it's ups and downs and its a hard path but in the end it will end and that is what he has put is through to see what we did with our lives. God simply says to the deniers they will be surprised when brought to life on resurrection. A lot of things happen for reasons. And people react differently. The closet ones to God are devout people who lived long lives, the religious poor, and the martyred in the way of God. To put it this way, you won't know everything about God. But if you want to know why he does something's or something about He, I will gladly give you some Islamic sources of him. I know you're not Muslim and I don't want to convert you. But I recommend a good read of God speaking literally in what's called Hadith 'Qudsi'. You can google this and it will help you relate to him. Some instances he won't tell us and some he will. But he always guarantees to us we started out by him and with him and we will go back to him and end with him.

Here's an excerpt, keep in mind, Allah means 'The One'. So don't let the name discourage you please.

40 Hadith Qudsi (The Forty (40) Hadith Qudsi with Arabic and English MP3 Audio Narration)

"When Allah decreed the Creation He pledged Himself by writing in His book which is laid down with Him: 'My mercy prevails over my wrath.'"

No Christian worth their salt would say to not divorce EVER.

As Jesus said, divorce was never intended, however, because human beings are so screwed up there has been an allowance made for it.

Having said that, since divorce is not viewed positively by Jesus, as Christians we should avoid it if at all possible. This is plain to see in the scriptures. Therefore, if you are a follower of Jesus, you should take this to heart. If you are not a follower of Jesus and could care less, why are you asking Christians? You will do whatever you want to do anyway.

Last edited:
The Jews didn't break their covenant with God? Ha Ha Ha! Tell me another joke!

That's enough, BIK. This is a serious discussion and if you are not going to respect her wish to have some honest, sincere, thoughts about what she is going through than you should stay off of this thread. Show some respect here! Please! - Jeri

I respect her greatly and respect people greatly who offer respect in return. But what you stated was simply not true. But for the sake of the discussion lets not get into it.

Cecile, I don't think you went against God's will for divorcing. It actually could be better for you and for your spiritual life. I don't know all your details so I can't speak of the morality to the divorce. But you said you took many considerations. To your question on God, whoever said God works in mysterious ways is pretty fun. It makes it sound like an excuse. God says what he says and purposefully made things these ways. Think of life like a roller coaster ride, it has it's ups and downs and its a hard path but in the end it will end and that is what he has put is through to see what we did with our lives. God simply says to the deniers they will be surprised when brought to life on resurrection. A lot of things happen for reasons. And people react differently. The closet ones to God are devout people who lived long lives, the religious poor, and the martyred in the way of God. To put it this way, you won't know everything about God. But if you want to know why he does something's or something about He, I will gladly give you some Islamic sources of him. I know you're not Muslim and I don't want to convert you. But I recommend a good read of God speaking literally in what's called Hadith 'Qudsi'. You can google this and it will help you relate to him. Some instances he won't tell us and some he will. But he always guarantees to us we started out by him and with him and we will go back to him and end with him.

Here's an excerpt, keep in mind, Allah means 'The One'. So don't let the name discourage you please.

40 Hadith Qudsi (The Forty (40) Hadith Qudsi with Arabic and English MP3 Audio Narration)

"When Allah decreed the Creation He pledged Himself by writing in His book which is laid down with Him: 'My mercy prevails over my wrath.'"

Are women able to divorce their husbands in Islam? If so, how does it differ from how males go about it?

I read your thread about your impending divorce last week but I did not respond. I decided to think about what you had said and pray for God to give you wisdom in seeing what you should do. Now that you have written this thread and asked for my opinion, I'll give it to you. Don't do it. Why? The scriptures say, God hates divorce. Is this going to be easy for you? No. Because you have already set it in mind ( somewhat it appears ) that there is no future with this man. What if, Cecilie, your husband were to discover some patent for a highly profitable item and he suddenly becomes a millionaire. Wasn't the premise of your decision based on your having valued certain things differently? He was not as motivated in this uncertain economy as you - you had perceived this and based your decision somewhat on a changeable fact. Facts change but truth does not.

The truth is you are in a covenant, not a contract. What is Gods will concerning a covenant? It cannot be broken for one. It doesn't have an expiration date. It doesn't change one iota due to sickness, poverty, even infidelity ( truth be known that was because of the hardness of their hearts Moses included that loop hole) and in that covenant you have all provision. Outside of it are variable curses for breaking it. Which is why the Jews didn't break their covenants with God. They knew better. For better or worse, what you are in is a covenant. Not a contract. I'd like to write more but I have to go so I will end here for now. I am continuing to pray for you Cecilie and especially for wisdom because I know that what you are going through is not easy. Before I go let me say that your child (I believe you said was 4 yrs old) is a gift from God. The child is given to both of you to raise, nurture, protect, bring into their destiny by example ( sacrifice ) and that will require both of you being there. - Jeremiah

I didn't ask your opinion about my divorce. I asked specific questions about the purpose of marriage, and you didn't answer a single one. You just spewed out a rote list of rigid, blanket rules with little to know purpose to them, which is EXACTLY what prompted my questions in the first place.

Are women able to divorce their husbands in Islam? If so, how does it differ from how males go about it?

Depends on the case, senselessness divorces are not liked in Islam. Divorce is something also major in Islam. So it is a big decision. If the hatred between the husband and wife is still greater than tolerance the divorce is inevitable and it's basically a joint effort. This varies if a couple went to Muhammad himself and asked, it depended on reasons and some testimonies.

I'd like to come back and add to this but let me say this now: I think Cecilie is an amazing woman with alot of courage. I find her honesty and transparency about her situation to be amazing. I have even asked myself in recent days would I have the same courage to be so open in a forum such as this one. I don't knkow if I would or not. But I find her honesty refreshing. - Jeremiah

I try to make a point of not doing things of which I would be ashamed. Even if they turn out to be mistakes, I don't feel the need to be ashamed of them because I gave them thought and consideration beforehand according to the information I had at the time. I might have to correct them, but I feel no need to be embarrassed by them.

The corollary is that once I have made a decision, I feel the need to own it, even if it turns out to have been wrong. Lying and trying to present myself as perfect and infallible helps no one: not me and not the people who could have learned from me.

I didn't ask your opinion about my divorce. I asked specific questions about the purpose of marriage, and you didn't answer a single one. You just spewed out a rote list of rigid, blanket rules with little to know purpose to them, which is EXACTLY what prompted my questions in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what Jesus has to say on the subject?

If not, I can provide you with the scriputures on the matter.

Let's get back to the questions I'm trying to address.

Maybe the place to start discussing God's purpose in marriage is with God's purpose for people in general. What is He trying to accomplish with us and our lives, and how does marriage fit into that? I can be certain that the "You changed your hairstyle, so I don't love you any more" sort of attitude some people have doesn't serve that overall purpose, but does "You married him, and you're stuck with him no matter what" serve it? If so, how?

Maybe the place to start discussing God's purpose in marriage is with God's purpose for people in general. What is He trying to accomplish with us and our lives, and how does marriage fit into that? I can be certain that the "You changed your hairstyle, so I don't love you any more" sort of attitude some people have doesn't serve that overall purpose, but does "You married him, and you're stuck with him no matter what" serve it? If so, how?

Do you want scriptures regarding what Jesus says about marriage or about what the Bible in general has to say about it?

Or do you want neither?

Did I answer your question in any way? ................:cool:

Yes, I do. Do YOU know WHY He said it?

I apologize if I seem like I'm being vague on this topic I introduced. The truth is that I have a million and one thoughts on the subject, and I'm trying to not spit them all out at once and put everyone into philosophical overload. I will have a lot of free time this weekend while I'm out of town, and I will have my laptop with me, so I'm hoping to really explore these questions in some depth with thoughtful people who 1) believe in God, and 2) believe that knowing His will is both possible and important.

All others, PLEASE go find something else to talk about. Really.

Yes, I do. Do YOU know WHY He said it?

Let's start with what Jesus had to say on the subject of marriage.

Matthew 19:3 The Pharisees also came to him, tempting him, and saying to him, "Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said to them, "Have you not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female?
5 And said, "For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they two shall become one flesh?"
6 Wherefore they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."
7 They said to him, "Why did Moses then command to giving a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 HE said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives, but from the beginning it was not so."
9 "And I say to you, whoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committs adultery, and whoever marries her which is put away does commit adultery."
10 His disciples say to him, "If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry."
11 But he said to them, "All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given."
12 For there are some eunuchs, which were born from their mother's womb and eunuchs of men, and there be eunuchs which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."

So what do you take away from this teaching?

Last edited:
I apologize if I seem like I'm being vague on this topic I introduced. The truth is that I have a million and one thoughts on the subject, and I'm trying to not spit them all out at once and put everyone into philosophical overload. I will have a lot of free time this weekend while I'm out of town, and I will have my laptop with me, so I'm hoping to really explore these questions in some depth with thoughtful people who 1) believe in God, and 2) believe that knowing His will is both possible and important.

All others, PLEASE go find something else to talk about. Really.

Who's 'all others'?

Forum List

Back