What do You Gun Supporters Think of This....

Get a revolver. They make some titanium models that are lightweight, strong and hold five rounds. No safety and no worries about that rubber bullet. Think you need more than five rounds? Get a speed loader and learn to use it.

IIRC, the S&W Model 29 Titanium is 18oz, holds six rounds of .44 Magnum.

I'm an old time wheel gun fan. No safeties and a guaranteed six rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

DITTO !! i love my 4 inch Colt Python, the finest DA revolver ever made !!

No.

SmithWessonModel29.jpg

It only takes 1.5 seconds to pull a Glock and pull back the slide.

Most attacks start at less than 21 feet. Here's a fun exercise. Get one of those cheap plastic BB pistols they have at Walmart and put it in your everyday holster like you normally carry. Have a friend stand 21 feet from you with a Sharpie in his hand and then attack you. When he attacks you, pull your pistol, wait 1.5 seconds and they "shoot" him. Count the number of times he was able to mark you with the Sharpie. Each one is a knife wound.

Now try it again but without waiting the 1.5 seconds before shooting. Count those marks.

Compare results.

Most attacks start at less than 21 feet. Here's a fun exercise. Get one of those cheap plastic BB pistols they have at Walmart and put it in your everyday holster like you normally carry. Have a friend stand 21 feet from you with a Sharpie in his hand and then attack you. When he attacks you, pull your pistol, wait 1.5 seconds and they "shoot" him. Count the number of times he was able to mark you with the Sharpie. Each one is a knife wound.

Now try it again but without waiting the 1.5 seconds before shooting. Count those marks.

Compare results.

Did you see "bringing a knife to a gunfight" on Mythbusters?

[youtube]ckz7EmDxhtU[/youtube]​

No, we tried it when I did my CCL classes.

Nevermind just how many things Mythbusters gets wrong.

I know of at least three things they have gotten wrong: a. an arrow cannot be shot that will split another arrow down the shaft, b. that a bullet fired up into the air cannot come down and injure anyone significantly, and c. that a collection of mirrors trained onto the exact same spot will set wood on fire.

These guys are running a show and do not bother themselves to research how the supposed myths were actually done. They did not research how arrows were made in the middle ages, or consider how many people might be in an area where someone shoots up into the air and how the bullet airflow can often cause the bullet to come down tip first, etc.
They are in the entertainment business, not serious research business.

Compare results.

Did you see "bringing a knife to a gunfight" on Mythbusters?

[youtube]ckz7EmDxhtU[/youtube]​

If you think someone might make a rush at you there is no reason to not take your gun out of the holster prior to the rush. Jamie couldn't outrun a finger twitch at 10'

But this is why any cop department policy that forces a cop to keep his gun sheathed against his better judgment in a particular situation is suicidal whether the bad guys are obviously armed or not since a lock-back knife is very concealable and just as lethal.

Compare results.
Actually the safe zone is 17 feet as we were taught at the academy. Under that range an attacker with a knife will get you before you can get your sidearm out of the holster and fire. Even at 21 feet it's possible but unlikely if the person defending themselves is well trained and constantly practices the draw and fire.
The main thing to remember with firearm self defense (as well as any other self defense) is whatever you practice you will do in and emergency, it's called muscle memory. As an example, if you fire off a full mag then remove the empty mag and put it in your pocket before inserting a new mag that's what you'll do when/if the time comes to react, losing possible precious seconds that could get you killed. Let the empty drop, you can always go back and pick it up.

I carry a Glock 21, and its safety gives not much confidence, so I haven't been carrying a round chambered. Figure the likelihood of not being able to rack a round vrs having an accident with a chambered Glock is not so good.

But still the Martin-Zimmerman episode made it clear that you cannot always have the other hand free to chamber a round.

So I have decided to do this instead. I am going to carry a rubber bullet chambered. That way if the gun goes off accidentally it is unlikely it will seriously hurt anyone. But if I cant get my other hand to my gun, I can just fire twice to get lethal force.

It also gives me the option of using a less lethal shot to aid in negotiations should the need arise.

It isn't perfect, but it seems the best solution for all factors considered.

Any thoughts?
A rubber bullet can do a lot more damage than one might think. In fact they can kill.

Chamber a blank. The odds are good that discharging the blank at an aggressor will scare the hell out of him and send him running. But if it doesn't, your next shot will take care of business.

I know of at least three things they have gotten wrong: a. an arrow cannot be shot that will split another arrow down the shaft, b. that a bullet fired up into the air cannot come down and injure anyone significantly, and c. that a collection of mirrors trained onto the exact same spot will set wood on fire.

These guys are running a show and do not bother themselves to research how the supposed myths were actually done. They did not research how arrows were made in the middle ages, or consider how many people might be in an area where someone shoots up into the air and how the bullet airflow can often cause the bullet to come down tip first, etc.

a. an arrow cannot be shot that will split another arrow down the shaft,

on more then one occasion between by brothers my kids and myself

have driven one aluminum arrow into the shaft of another aluminum arrow

As you may know, that is called a "Robin Hood" because it supposedly mimics the famous shot made by the legendary figure. It is not uncommon but is always accidental (I've never seen it done intentionally). It's also wasteful and costly because good aluminum (or carbon) arrows cost between $5 and $10.

The way to avoid it is to use Easton Uni-bushings, which are beveled and will deflect a direct hit that would otherwise destroy an arrow.

i know nothing about "G-Blocks".., so if it were mine i would trade it off as fast as possible for a SIG P226 or my second choice would be an EAA Baby Eagle. :up:

As you may know, that is called a "Robin Hood" because it supposedly mimics the famous shot made by the legendary figure. It is not uncommon but is always accidental (I've never seen it done intentionally). It's also wasteful and costly because good aluminum (or carbon) arrows cost between $5 and $10.

The way to avoid it is to use Easton Uni-bushings, which are beveled and will deflect a direct hit that would otherwise destroy an arrow.

can be well over 10 dollars

i remember when deer hunting with a bow

was on the cheap

--LOL

years ago we would intentionally try and hit each others arrows

it was harder then

you had to call it out

if you missed it cost 5 bucks

when i was a kid back in the late 60s

i tried and tried and tried to split my cedar arrows

with my recurve never was able to do it

did break some though

Their biggest mistake with the falling bullet was because neither of them are ballisticians. A rifle bullet will not tumble...because they can leave the muzzle spinning 1,000,000RPM. (2500fps from a 12" twist barrel is 900,000RPM.) The gyro effect means they will come down base or nose first.

Their biggest mistake with the falling bullet was because neither of them are ballisticians. A rifle bullet will not tumble...because they can leave the muzzle spinning 1,000,000RPM. (2500fps from a 12" twist barrel is 900,000RPM.) The gyro effect means they will come down base or nose first.

depending on the bullet probably would fall on its tail heavy end first

a wad cutter maybe would fall on its side which slow it down even more

and that is only if they are shot straight up

and came straight down

if the bullet at its highest point retained energy to continue to spin on the fall

it obviously would fall head or tail first

a. an arrow cannot be shot that will split another arrow down the shaft,

on more then one occasion between by brothers my kids and myself

Prior to modern methods of turning wood to make arrow shafts, which leaves the grain running across the shaft, the older method of making an arrow simply took a suitably thick dried nearly straight limb/sprout/reed and steamed it to straighten it.

Thus the grain ran the length of the arrow, and could easily hold a well placed shot down the shaft, while the cross grain of turned arrows would shift it off the shaft.

As to whether a person could hit it deliberately, well, some people are just talented as hell like this guy who can shoot an asprin tossed into the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back