What do You Gun Supporters Think of This....

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I carry a Glock 21, and its safety gives not much confidence, so I haven't been carrying a round chambered. Figure the likelihood of not being able to rack a round vrs having an accident with a chambered Glock is not so good.

But still the Martin-Zimmerman episode made it clear that you cannot always have the other hand free to chamber a round.

So I have decided to do this instead. I am going to carry a rubber bullet chambered. That way if the gun goes off accidentally it is unlikely it will seriously hurt anyone. But if I cant get my other hand to my gun, I can just fire twice to get lethal force.

It also gives me the option of using a less lethal shot to aid in negotiations should the need arise.

It isn't perfect, but it seems the best solution for all factors considered.

Any thoughts?

Nothing is perfect, if it's your time then it's your time. Like firearms, seat belts and air bags won't always save lives but they increase the chances 100 fold. I still carry without one in the chamber or with out one in the wheel, depending on if it's a revolver or a pistol. If you want to protect against grab and tussle the best bet is a revolver with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder, all you have to do is cock the hammer and pull the trigger, a one handed operation.

By the way, do I look like a holster to you?

Last edited:
That sounds like a very well thought out and responsible solution.

It's a trade off, but what isn't?

My 9mm is a single action. Even with a round chambered, it takes three actions; disengaging the safety, cocking the hammer and trigger pull to discharge a round. This can be easily accomplished with only one hand, plus, I can choose to cock the hammer and reengage the safety to reduce the actions required to two.

My trade off is an 8+1 capacity compared to your 13+1.

I believe that, like in the old Wild West [that really wasn't that wild] EVERYONE should carry a gun. Fully lethal bullet in the chamber.

As for me, my ideal is to have a 12 gauge shotgun in the closet by the front door and one in each bedroom.

I carry a Glock 21, and its safety gives not much confidence, so I haven't been carrying a round chambered. Figure the likelihood of not being able to rack a round vrs having an accident with a chambered Glock is not so good.

But still the Martin-Zimmerman episode made it clear that you cannot always have the other hand free to chamber a round.

So I have decided to do this instead. I am going to carry a rubber bullet chambered. That way if the gun goes off accidentally it is unlikely it will seriously hurt anyone. But if I cant get my other hand to my gun, I can just fire twice to get lethal force.

It also gives me the option of using a less lethal shot to aid in negotiations should the need arise.

Any thoughts?

A Glock has an integral trigger safety. So long as you keep your finger off of the trigger it CAN'T go off. A rubber bullet is just as lethal at short range as a regular projectile so I don't think you're any safer.

My suggestion is take some tactical pistol classes and LEARN how to use your pistol properly.

Any thoughts?

A Glock has an integral trigger safety. So long as you keep your finger off of the trigger it CAN'T go off. A rubber bullet is just as lethal at short range as a regular projectile so I don't think you're any safer.

My suggestion is take some tactical pistol classes and LEARN how to use your pistol properly.

Done that 4 times (not counting the Army) and all were while I used a wheel gun. Picked up on Glocks about three years ago, and really like them.

I keep mine on me or near me 24/7 and you don't have to have yor finger on the trigger for something to hit it and set it off. A guy here in VA got killed simply slipping his autopistol in his pants and something in the pocket set the gun off and severed one of his arteries.

A subsonic rubber bullet is *less* likely to kill, but any bullet can kill someone if it hits the right spot at close range.

Any thoughts?

Done that 4 times (not counting the Army) and all were while I used a wheel gun. Picked up on Glocks about three years ago, and really like them.

I keep mine on me or near me 24/7 and you don't have to have yor finger on the trigger for something to hit it and set it off. A guy here in VA got killed simply slipping his autopistol in his pants and something in the pocket set the gun off and severed one of his arteries.

A subsonic rubber bullet is *less* likely to kill, but any bullet can kill someone if it hits the right spot at close range.

It is physically impossible for a Glock to go off without having its trigger pulled. Period. I don't count Army training as it is very rudimentary for the most part. Especially as regards handguns. The other classes you took I would question their efficacy if you are still having issues.

I would suggest a class at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.

Thunder Ranch® Oregon & Thunder Ranch® Texas

http://www.gunsite.com/main/

IMO they are the two best in the nation. After you have completed one of their classes you are competent...period..or you shouldn't be carrying firearms at all.

It is physically impossible for a Glock to go off without having its trigger pulled. Period.

That is simply not true, it was a Glock that went off and killed the guy I was referring to.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/archive/article_efb45677-4693-5696-a8b7-3cc6faa719f4.html

I know the specifics on this case because I know one of the mans relatives, and the press story got it wrong. Paint me not surprised.

What do you think happens if something in ones pocket is pushed against the safety on the trigger? You think it is impossible for some inanimate object in the packet to enable someone do such a thing?

The word 'impossible' means something that CANNOT happen under any circumstances.

This HAS happened, so it aint impossible.

I don't count Army training as it is very rudimentary for the most part. Especially as regards handguns. The other classes you took I would question their efficacy if you are still having issues.

I would suggest a class at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.

Thunder Ranch® Oregon & Thunder Ranch® Texas

http://www.gunsite.com/main/

IMO they are the two best in the nation. After you have completed one of their classes you are competent...period..or you shouldn't be carrying firearms at all.

Thank you for your opinings, Westwall.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

If you're walking around with a round chambered you're an idiot. You don't need a rubber bullet. Where the fuck do you live? Chicago? Afghanistan?

Any thoughts?

If you're walking around with a round chambered you're an idiot. You don't need a rubber bullet.

Lol, and plenty of people say the exact opposite, that if you carry a gun without a bullet chambered you are an idiot carrying a paper weight.

Sorry to disturb you with the notion that people might think differently from you.

Where the fuck do you live? Chicago? Afghanistan?

Lol, Chicago = Afghanistan, lololol.

No, I live in neither.

I simply live among the most cunning, aggressive and dangerous creatures on Earth; Southerners! I'll keep my fracking gun loaded and on me at all times, thank you!

Any thoughts?

if the firearm is working properly

you should not have a problem

maybe take a class on the basics

With the safety on you should be fine.

Do you know how the trigger safety on a Glock works?

It's always on, but then again....

Yes, it's always on safe till you put your finger inside the trigger guard and start to squeexze. Then it's off, so don't do that unless you plan to shoot something.

Any thoughts?

If you're walking around with a round chambered you're an idiot. You don't need a rubber bullet.

Lol, and plenty of people say the exact opposite, that if you carry a gun without a bullet chambered you are an idiot carrying a paper weight.

Sorry to disturb you with the notion that people might think differently from you.

No, I live in neither.

I simply live among the most cunning, aggressive and dangerous creatures on Earth; Southerners! I'll keep my fracking gun loaded and on me at all times, thank you!

best practice is to always treat a firearm as if was loaded

and ready to go off

Any thoughts?

No, I live in neither.

Loaded and having a round chambered are two different things. It only takes 1.5 seconds to pull a Glock and pull back the slide.

Southerners for the nost part are pretty decent. New Yorkers, not so much. I would carry a gun if it was legal if I lived in NYC, but if you live in the South you sound paranoid. Nobody's gonna bother you unless you're looking for trouble.

No, I live in neither.

best practice is to always treat a firearm as if was loaded

and ready to go off

Somebody hands you a gun assume it's loaded. Always check it first.

A Glock has two safeties. On the trigger and keeping your finger off of it. But not chambering a round is a good practice. Then you'll know for sure every time.

I'm an old time wheel gun fan. No safeties and a guaranteed six rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'm in favor of open carry. I don't know what the negatives would be, but I felt very safe on my horse with one strapped around my waist, in a holster, in secluded areas where I road, often.

I'm an old time wheel gun fan. No safeties and a guaranteed six rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I'm in favor of open carry. I don't know what the negatives would be, but I felt very safe on my horse with one strapped around my waist, in a holster, in secluded areas where I road, often.

I'm in favor of carrying an RPG in the open too. However, some people freak when you point a stick and go bang, bang now.

Forum List

Back