What do you consider blasphemy

I would need to put blasphemy in a social context as purposeful meanness. I do not think it is right to demonize or criticize another person's Gawd though. I find that steps over some line of decorum for me. Weird as that sounds.

Almost nothing offends me, we had a large family and when you are dirt poor picking on each other is the primary pasttime. Gives you thick skin.

The YMCA was truly original and funny. A clever use of a picture that does not demonize Christ.

Worshiping the cross or anything on it is blasphemy, it goes against life, the cross is death, represents death, marks places of disease ... look it up if you don't believe me ... only one sub culture actually embraces the cross.

Blasphemy is being aware of what you're doing, and yet, still being disrespectful towards God.

However.............

Being overly respectful and worshiping from afar has it's own pitfalls.

I used to be in AA at one time (wanted to stay in the Navy), and was at a meeting once. They had asked me to speak, and, I started to tell my story.

Along the way, I told them that I thought God was a really fine Dude.

The shocked gasp was incredible. People talked about me for months afterwards, and referred to me as "the guy who calls God a Dude".

But.......think about this..........

In almost every religion, be it Tao, Judaism, Christianity or whatever.........God is referred to as the Creator. He's also referred to us as as the Father of Mankind.

Now........think back to your own fathers.........

Did you have more fun with your dad when you guys (and girls) were horsing around and joking with each other? Did you not also maintain some kind of respect for your parents because they brought you here?

Or.........was your father a shadowy figure that was only there to administer discipline? Did you fear them?

Or..........were they the absent type, you never knew who they were, and didn't really care to find out about?

Think about this. The first, represents how we should treat HaShem (God). Shoot.......God even likes to wrestle with humans. Ever hear of the story of Jacob? It also states in the Bible to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord", which means laugh, sing, and joke around with God. Just make sure you're respectful. And.........because you know who your Father is, you don't need to fear Him, as respect takes that fear away.

The second, represents how many people view God in religion. They tell you He's a far away figure that only pays attention to you when you screw up. They tell you God is vengeful, wrathful, and will stomp you into the dirt when (not if), you screw up.

The third group are the atheists. They never saw Father, and don't really care if He's there or not.

So..........in my humble opinion, blasphemy is treating God with anything other than respect. And.........remember.........no human can BE God, but we are all a part of Him. Says so in the Torah by the way.........He carved off a small piece of Himself, and placed it in the embryo that your parents created. Which means you are a part of God. Buddhist philosophy refers to this quite nicely by the way.

But.........disrespect can also include being solemn and downcast every time you're in His Presence, because, after all, we are supposed to make a JOYFUL noise. Not a sad one.

I think it's really unfortunate that some feel so insecure that they need to mock others beliefs. I don't know what blasphemy would be to me. I don't really care if other people want to make fun of me for what I believe, because it's not about me, it's about how they feel about themselves. :)

i suppose i am probably wrong, but i don't see any of those as blasphemy....distasteful, sure.

i see blasphemy, as someone pretending to be God/godlike or taking credit as if a god, or worshiping someone or something as if it were god, such as money or a golden calf or skull and bones.

Were both Moses and his brother Aaron guilty of blasphemy?

I heard Moses claimed he produced water from the rock, so God wouldn't let him into Canaan... and Aaron rocked the Golden Calf when Moses was up on the Harma (Mountain) receiving the ten commandments.
This is mostly my memories and guesswork... anyone know the actual details?

Memories and guesswork NEVER get you any pertinent facts. Ask FIXED News.

Moses was leading the Israelites to the Promised Land. Along the way, just before they got there, Moses asked God for water, and God told Moses to go and talk to the rock. Instead of asking the rock for water, Moses struck it with his staff to get the water to flow.

Because he disobeyed God for striking the rock rather than asking it, is why he was not allowed into Israel. It wasn't blasphemy, it was disobedience.

When Moses went to the top of Sinai, he was gone for a long time (40 days). During that time, the people thought that Moses wasn't going to come back, and because of that, they decided to build an idol to the god B'aal, which is why Moses went ballistic and destroyed the original 10 Commandments (which were written on sapphire crystals about 3 ft tall each), because he felt that the people weren't worthy of it.

The second one was blasphemy. The first one wasn't.

I think it's really unfortunate that some feel so insecure that they need to mock others beliefs. I don't know what blasphemy would be to me. I don't really care if other people want to make fun of me for what I believe, because it's not about me, it's about how they feel about themselves. :)

Exactly how does mocking someone else's beliefs make someone insecure? You sure you've never mocked Scientology or laughed when someone else did?

Religion has such a big influence over modern society that I would be surprised if no one mocked it.

smartt, are you offended of my depiction of jesus on the cross in his underwear or a diaper? Because that's what it looks like, and common practise back then was to put a diaper on the people who were cruxified so that there wasn't shit and piss all over the place, since it could sometimes takes several days for them to die. Or did jesus crap and piss himself on the cross?

I am not in the least offended bu that. What you have done here is made yourself look very foolish in your ignorance about crucifixions. But I am not offended by your foolishness. I said it before, though it is intentionally meant to be offensive, it is just your ignorance showing. How Jesus was crucified was determined by the people who crucified Him. They were the ones who had a problem. The important thing that He did on the cross is to die for YOUR sins. He did that willingly and in love. You are not forced to believe, but the offer is there to freely receive. Your choice.

smartt, are you offended of my depiction of jesus on the cross in his underwear or a diaper? Because that's what it looks like, and common practise back then was to put a diaper on the people who were cruxified so that there wasn't shit and piss all over the place, since it could sometimes takes several days for them to die. Or did jesus crap and piss himself on the cross?

I am not in the least offended bu that. What you have done here is made yourself look very foolish in your ignorance about crucifixions. But I am not offended by your foolishness. I said it before, though it is intentionally meant to be offensive, it is just your ignorance showing. How Jesus was crucified was determined by the people who crucified Him. They were the ones who had a problem. The important thing that He did on the cross is to die for YOUR sins. He did that willingly and in love. You are not forced to believe, but the offer is there to freely receive. Your choice.

So what you're saying is that the romans put jesus in a diaper on purpose to make him look foolish?
And I've never understood that: how was jesus crucified for MY sins? That sounds TOTALLY made up.

Blasphemy is leaving a close ballgame in the 8th to beat the traffic.

Blasphemy is a dude cock blocking his buddy, anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Blasphemy is suggesting that Metallica is even remotely as good as Iron Maiden.

Blasphemy is combining fruit with beer (except putting a lime in a Corona, that is ok).

Blasphemy is questioning the moderators at USMB.

Blasphemy is taking up two parking spaces because you think your car is so fucking cool.

Blasphemy is getting your cat de-clawed.

And finally...

Blasphemy is not pos-repping me for this super witty post. :D

What is your limits in terms of blasphemy or making fun of your religious figure of choice before you're offended? I've seen people get offended at the most trivial of things and yet other people defend what is clearly meant to be a tasteless jab at something. So I ask where do you draw the line.

Faith Fighter?
Faith Fighter

Bible Fight?
Bible Fight A Free Online Flash Game on [adult swim]

Raptor Jesus
raptor jesus - Google Image Search

This:
blasphemy.jpg

Piss Christ:
Piss Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Muhammad cartoons
424px-Jyllands-Posten-pg3-article-in-Sept-30-2005-edition-of-KulturWeekend-entitled-Muhammeds-ansigt.png

Or this (meant to be a parody of stickers on biology textbooks saying evolution is theory not fact that were put on there by school boards)

biblewarning5hl.jpg

The flying spaghetti monster (parody of religions)
FlyingSpaghettiMonster.png

I'd like to know what it takes to cross people's individual threshold of being offended.

Prime rib ordered well done. Your cook will send it through the dishwasher and the microwave. Bon appetit. :eusa_whistle:

So what you're saying is that the romans put jesus in a diaper on purpose to make him look foolish?
And I've never understood that: how was jesus crucified for MY sins? That sounds TOTALLY made up.

In your ignorance you see Jesus in a diaper. In fact, I doubt there were even any such things in Jesus' time. But, you can continue in that ignorance if you want to.

I am so sorry you don't understand that. You are arguing against things that you have no clue about at all. God loves you, and, yes, Jesus death was as much for you as it was for me. "Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father but by Me." His death was for the forgiveness of sins of "whosoever." John 3:16.

Forum List

Back