What's Wrong With Gay Marriage?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Coloradomtnman, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    This is a challenge for all those who oppose same-sex marriages and homosexuality.

If you believe homosexuality is wrong because of religious reasons, and you want to ban same-sex marriages because of your religious beliefs regarding homoesexuals, you want to violate the Bill or Rights, specifically the First Amendment:

First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, Freedom of Religion, and of assembly; right to petition,

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The government WILL NOT force Churches to marry homosexuals if same-sex marriage becomes legal because of that very same Amendment.

So, let's try another argument:

If you think that same-sex marriages extend special rights to homosexuals and that it isn't about equality:

Marriage Equality USA

If you follow the link the above there is much more.

Here's another link to an article about what married couples receive because of government recognition of their romantic commitment:

Marriage Rights and Benefits

This shows how same-sex couples do not receive the same level of rights as traditionally married couples do.

Well, what about children?

If you think that homosexuality is a mental disorder or sexual deviancy:

Answers to Your Questions For a Better Understanding of Sexual Orientation & Homosexuality

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Nuthin', huh? Can anybody back up the arguments opposing gay marriage?

3. Al Gunn

Al Gunn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What's wrong with gay marriage? The question should be: why is CMM so obsessed with rehashing the same debate over and over again? :D

(I bet you all know the answer!)

4. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,155
    I care too but I am not gay. Its just so clearly wrong to discriminate against these people. Give them whatever you get as a straight married person. ALL the same perks. Social security, pension sharing, insurance, hospital decisions, tax breaks, the works.

If Liza Manelli can marry a gay guy, a gay guy should also be able to marry a gay guy. What makes Liza special? :lol:

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,922
    since most moral objections are based on the arguement that its "unnatural"....but who teaches them that...there is homosexuality in the animal world....etc and so on...if gays of age can marry then can anyone marry? sgt brought this up..how can you says gay can marry cause they are of consenting age then disapprove of incestous marriages if both people are of age. he is right if you allow one on those grounds you must allow the other....if consenting adults is the criteria..then it opens a lot of doors...more than just gay marriage

6. Al Gunn

Al Gunn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    gay marriage was invented to flush out the homo hating bigots.

7. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    This is an impossible topic to discuss if one cares for their position on the issue. There is no compromise. If SSM becomes legal, so be it. We who are believers in God's standard for marriage as one man with one woman cannot just throw the people out with what we believe is immoral behavior. Most believers don't hate gays. As a matter of fact, it is quite easy for most believers to love gays. The problem is that many gays see our position about gay sex as hating them as people. That is their problem, not ours.

I have some gay friends, and I love them as much as I love my other friends. We can talk openly about it because they know that I am not condemning them as persons. I also know that they are not condemning me for my belief on the issue. People can be reasonable.

I personally believe this is a far bigger issue than just about legalities of SSM. I belive it has a far reaching effect on society, but I am not allowed to say that without getting tons of "you hate gays" hateful comments. Truth is, those gays who believe Christians hate them, actually hate Christians.

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    It's a contradiction. Like circular squares, feathered mammals, and other impossible things.

9. Coloradomtnman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    I have read some very well put arguments and articulated points by you, Avatar, but this is not one of them. Can you support this argument with anything other than the Bible, if even with that?

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,710
    Just how many times and for how long can a dead horse be beaten??? I think just about anything and everything about gay marriage that can be said has been said. Why not give this a rest and come back one day with something new to say? You're beginning to sound like BaltimoreBob and his rants concerning Viet Nam.:cuckoo: