what determines whether a person goes to heaven or not?

What determines whether a person goes to heaven or not?

I hold a belief of a higher power, and of life after death, however I feel like the concept of a "heaven and hell" seems suspiciously man-made.

I mean, go to hell for eternity after like 80 years on earth - what's the point of that?

Although I do think we're on this earth to LEARN, and that bad actions will create negativity around us (and ultimately a negative reality), I don't feel like things are so cut and dry and that folks always have the ability to turn themselves around.

The bible is a book of fiction written at a time when humans were simpletons and hadn't even invented bumwad. There's zero proof that Revelations is true, it's just a book written by simpletons.

That's not what the Spirit says. I can promise you that if you read the scriptures and apply the teachings to your life, the Holy Spirit will testify to you that it's true. God is not a respecter of persons and will answer anyone's humble prayer for wisdom and knowledge.

However, even if that weren't true, it seems unwise to dismiss thousands of years of wisdom without a second of consideration.

What the Spirit says? Who dat?

Thousands of years of wisdom? You mean like torturing people who didn't think that the earth was flat? The wisdom that teaches you to retaliate (an eye for an eye)? ...

The Bible teaches us to turn the other cheek. It's the Hammurabi code that teaches and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. The Bible teaches us to love our enemies as ourself.

The Holy Spirit is the Third member of the Godhead or Trinity, whatever you would like to call it. He is a testifier. His primary role is to bear witness of the Father and the Son. He is the one who reveals truth to people through the Still Small Voice. He is also a sanctifier and purifier. His influence purifies our spirit and refines our nature.

The Holy Spirit can influence people regardless of their faith in Christ. In fact, it is often when He testifies to them that people come to know that Jesus Christ is their Savior. Those who have faith in Christ can obtain the Holy Spirit as their constant companion. This is done by exercising faith in Jesus Christ and Repenting of your sins. When you begin to repent you will understand the need to be baptized by water. After this baptism comes the laying on of Hands for the Gift of the Holy Spirit or the Baptism by fire.

It wasn't the Bible that taught the world was flat, nor that people who disagreed should be tortured. It was the so called academics of the day that persecuted those that disagreed with them.

I hold a belief of a higher power, and of life after death, however I feel like the concept of a "heaven and hell" seems suspiciously man-made.

I mean, go to hell for eternity after like 80 years on earth - what's the point of that?

Although I do think we're on this earth to LEARN, and that bad actions will create negativity around us (and ultimately a negative reality), I don't feel like things are so cut and dry and that folks always have the ability to turn themselves around.

There is more to the afterlife than heaven/hell.

In fact, that dichotemy is better to explain the time between our death and resurrection than all of the after-life

In fact, that dichotemy is better to explain the time between our death and resurrection than all of the after-life

I tend to think we are recycled back to earth or elsewhere after we die (many say we have a choice to come back too). I've come across some very interesting stories about past-life recollections that have led me to hold this view.

Ever delve into the realm of Astral Projection? That topic is very interesting as well, and seems to eradicate the fear of death for many individuals.

Again with the "different standards for different people" crap.

Get it through your head...there are no varying degrees of humanity. We don't apply different yardsticks to different people.

So no, you don't get to have one set of standards for priests, and apply another set of standards to the Gay Pride prancers in SF.

In the end, it's all about facilitating depravity. You're perfectly fine with the freaks outside the church. Your objective isn't to protect children, but to obliterate the church.

Whatever...

I just ass-u-me-ed that the church might just have a different set of standards for their priests.

O.k. - I'm curious as to the definition of 'Lord' as it applies to pedophile priests accepting that Jesus is their 'Lord'.

Does it mean that they're supposed to submit to the authority of Jesus, or just use the title appropriately?

They are to submit to the authority of Christ, to repent of their sins, and follow Him.

¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23)

The issue with the so called pedophile priests isn't just the pedophilia, which is pretty much one of the worst things they can do. But the fact that they are also professing the name of Christ in vain. They pretend to serve Christ in order to prey on children. Do you really think a Just Lord is going to reward them except they repent?

Thanks for answering in spite of who was asking...

You ROCK, Avatar!! :rock:

AJ is just indulging in a little legalism in order to justify attacking the doctrine of *forgiveness*. Christian doctrine makes it very difficult for progressives to function within the law, so they have to find ways to attack and subvert it.

Demonizing it is the most effective way. It's the same thing Hitler did to the Jews. Jews were baby killers, they were monsters, they were criminal, they must be eradicated, they killed Christ yada yada yada.

I tend to think we are recycled back to earth or elsewhere after we die (many say we have a choice to come back too). I've come across some very interesting stories about past-life recollections that have led me to hold this view.

Ever delve into the realm of Astral Projection? That topic is very interesting as well, and seems to eradicate the fear of death for many individuals.

I would disagree there. I think that any memories of past lives is probably just a memory of life before we were born in mortality. We are after all Immortal beings having a mortal experience. We lived as spirits before we were born. We will rise in the resurrection as living Souls after we die at some point.

O.k. - I'm curious as to the definition of 'Lord' as it applies to pedophile priests accepting that Jesus is their 'Lord'.

Does it mean that they're supposed to submit to the authority of Jesus, or just use the title appropriately?

They are to submit to the authority of Christ, to repent of their sins, and follow Him.

¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23)

The issue with the so called pedophile priests isn't just the pedophilia, which is pretty much one of the worst things they can do. But the fact that they are also professing the name of Christ in vain. They pretend to serve Christ in order to prey on children. Do you really think a Just Lord is going to reward them except they repent?

Thanks for answering in spite of who was asking...

You ROCK, Avatar!! :rock:

Why wouldn't I answer despite who was asking?

AJ is just indulging in a little legalism in order to justify attacking the doctrine of *forgiveness*. Christian doctrine makes it very difficult for progressives to function within the law, so they have to find ways to attack and subvert it.

Demonizing it is the most effective way. It's the same thing Hitler did to the Jews. Jews were baby killers, they were monsters, they were criminal, they must be eradicated, they killed Christ yada yada yada.

I don't think acknowledging the fact that God has a standard we are to live and expects a lot from those who profess His name is really legalism.

That's not what the Spirit says. I can promise you that if you read the scriptures and apply the teachings to your life, the Holy Spirit will testify to you that it's true. God is not a respecter of persons and will answer anyone's humble prayer for wisdom and knowledge.

However, even if that weren't true, it seems unwise to dismiss thousands of years of wisdom without a second of consideration.

Thousands of years of wisdom? You mean like torturing people who didn't think that the earth was flat? The wisdom that teaches you to retaliate (an eye for an eye)? ...

The Bible teaches us to turn the other cheek. It's the Hammurabi code that teaches and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. The Bible teaches us to love our enemies as ourself.

The Holy Spirit is the Third member of the Godhead or Trinity, whatever you would like to call it. He is a testifier. His primary role is to bear witness of the Father and the Son. He is the one who reveals truth to people through the Still Small Voice. He is also a sanctifier and purifier. His influence purifies our spirit and refines our nature.

The Holy Spirit can influence people regardless of their faith in Christ. In fact, it is often when He testifies to them that people come to know that Jesus Christ is their Savior. Those who have faith in Christ can obtain the Holy Spirit as their constant companion. This is done by exercising faith in Jesus Christ and Repenting of your sins. When you begin to repent you will understand the need to be baptized by water. After this baptism comes the laying on of Hands for the Gift of the Holy Spirit or the Baptism by fire.

It wasn't the Bible that taught the world was flat, nor that people who disagreed should be tortured. It was the so called academics of the day that persecuted those that disagreed with them.

The bolded passage is 100% gobbledygook, or whatever you want to call such gibberish.

The bible taught us that the world was made in six days, which, um, it wasn't.

I would disagree there. I think that any memories of past lives is probably just a memory of life before we were born in mortality. We are after all Immortal beings having a mortal experience. We lived as spirits before we were born. We will rise in the resurrection as living Souls after we die at some point.

Interesting point of view, but I tend to disagree. Guess there's no way of knowing for sure, anyways.

Interesting point of view, but I tend to disagree. Guess there's no way of knowing for sure, anyways.

But... but... but HE READ IT IN A BOOK!!! :eek:

The bolded passage is 100% gobbledygook, or whatever you want to call such gibberish.

What amuses me is that when somebody states the bable and all that it contains is fiction. the only answer the believers come back with is a referance to the bable .
ifs its true there should be some evidence OTHER then the bable to support the claim .
ill ask the beleivers this question
do you believe in the existance of any of the roman or creek gods.
if not why not ?

cus its written in a book dont make it true .
the only spirits im aware of comes in bottles .
is the suggestion that we come back as a bottle of whisky ? :lol:

ill ask the beleivers this question
do you believe in the existance of any of the roman or creek gods.
if not why not ?

If a roman or greek god rose from the dead then people who saw it most likely would believe in it.

The reason people believe in Jesus is because there were eyewitnesses of his miracles, or his resurrection, other historical evidence and other reasons because that would be the only way to get man to believe.

No. it says the world was created in six periods called days. Days as we know them weren't established until creation was finished. Heck, we measure days with the sun and that wasn't created till day 3 or 4 depending on the creation version you read.

Your unwillingness to understand the scriptures and the workings of the Holy Spirit doesn't make it gibberish. It just shows a lack of willingness to understand.

Sure there is. Appeal to God. He isn't at all hesitant to pour down knowledge about the honest and humble who sincerely seek it from Him. "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him."

Well, then please, find me the book where I supposedly found it in. Citation please.

Forum List

Back