What decade had the best music?

I didn't own a single album or 45, because my older sister was a music nut, and she owned them all....!!!!

It was great for me! I didn't have to spend any of my allowance on them!!! :lol: Cuz my sister did!

Here is 1976....

Top 50 Albums of 1976
Worldwide:
1 Eagles - Hotel California
2 Stevie Wonder
Songs In The Key Of Life
3 Bob Dylan - Desire
4 Abba - Arrival
5 Peter Frampton - Comes Alive
6 Abba - Abba's Greatest Hits
7 Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town
8 Boston - Boston
9 Eagles - Greatest Hits 1971-1975
10 Neil Diamond - Beautiful Noise
11 Electric Light Orchestra
A New World Record
12 The Rolling Stones - Black & Blue
13 Wings - At The Speed Of Sound
14 Led Zeppelin - Presence
15 Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
16 Queen - A Day At The Races
17 Boney M - Take The Heat Off Me
18 David Bowie - Station To Station
19 Led Zeppelin
The Song Remains The Same
20 The Beatles - Rock 'N' Roll Music
21 Chicago - Chicago X
22 Santana - Amigos
23 Donna Summer
Love To Love You Baby
24 Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration
25 Elton John - Blue Moves
26 Abba - The Best Of
27 Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
28 Donna Summer - A Love Trilogy
29 Bad Company - Run With The Pack
30 The Ramones - The Ramones
31 Manfred Mann's Earth Band
tp.gif
The Roaring Silence
32 Steve Miller Band
Fly Like An Eagle
33 Jackson Browne - The Pretender
34 George Benson - Breezin'
35 Various Artists - Disco Rocket
36 Status Quo - Blue for You
37 Joni Mitchell - Hejira
38 Diana Ross - Diana Ross
39 Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
tp.gif
Night Moves
40 The Beach Boys - 20 Golden Greats
41 Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
42 Elton John - Here & There
43 David Bowie - ChangesOneBowie
44 AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
45 Rush - 2112
46 Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions
47 Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
48 Bellamy Brothers
Let Your Love Flow
49 Aerosmith - Rocks
50 Kiss - Destroyer

By 75 most of those were past their best. Led Zeppelin4 was their best imo. Abba were actually quite good.

Greg

Yeah. They sure were. Presley's last good performance was Aloha From Hawaii in '73. Probably his best ever, but that's my own conjecture.

Agreed about ABBA. I liked them, too. I almost said that when I saw em on c4all's list.

even before the 1920s....Chopin....Mozart....

My God ....open your minds people....

MUSIC is beautiful.....from way back then.....yes? yes.

I like Classical and opera; but they weren't on the list. Some Sopranos sound like cats being put through a bandsaw and a lot of opera is second rate.

Agree on Chopin; beautiful but Tchaikovsky is magical.

Greg

I like '86-'89 with a tiny bit of '90, '91 and '92 right before those misery inducing little grunge jerkoffs came along and ruined my good mood.

When Kurt Cobain blew his noggin off, I celebrated. Sorry, but I did. I hated that dweeb.

But I like 70s country music.

Modern country sucks. How they even get away with calling it country is beyond me.
yea, today's country music is kind of like pop music with a little twang

but now they have rapping country and that's so far out of the ball park of being 'country' it's unrecognizable

Some asshole tried to get me to listen to it and I threw his phone in the bushes a few weeks ago ...

Here's some country rap from 1970. I was in Germany in Nov '70 and it was the most requested song on Armed Forces Radio Network for about one month. Then the Department of Defense forbid AFN from playing it and took all the 45s out of the PX system. I have no idea why.:dunno:

Actually talking the words (not singing) has been around for years even before this...….but I don't know that I'd call it rap, just sayin

I heard that it was olden days Scottish in origin; when they were abusing/taking the Pfizer out of each other.

Greg

I didn't own a single album or 45, because my older sister was a music nut, and she owned them all....!!!!

It was great for me! I didn't have to spend any of my allowance on them!!! :lol: Cuz my sister did!

Here is 1976....

Top 50 Albums of 1976
Worldwide:
1 Eagles - Hotel California
2 Stevie Wonder
Songs In The Key Of Life
3 Bob Dylan - Desire
4 Abba - Arrival
5 Peter Frampton - Comes Alive
6 Abba - Abba's Greatest Hits
7 Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town
8 Boston - Boston
9 Eagles - Greatest Hits 1971-1975
10 Neil Diamond - Beautiful Noise
11 Electric Light Orchestra
A New World Record
12 The Rolling Stones - Black & Blue
13 Wings - At The Speed Of Sound
14 Led Zeppelin - Presence
15 Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
16 Queen - A Day At The Races
17 Boney M - Take The Heat Off Me
18 David Bowie - Station To Station
19 Led Zeppelin
The Song Remains The Same
20 The Beatles - Rock 'N' Roll Music
21 Chicago - Chicago X
22 Santana - Amigos
23 Donna Summer
Love To Love You Baby
24 Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration
25 Elton John - Blue Moves
26 Abba - The Best Of
27 Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
28 Donna Summer - A Love Trilogy
29 Bad Company - Run With The Pack
30 The Ramones - The Ramones
31 Manfred Mann's Earth Band
tp.gif
The Roaring Silence
32 Steve Miller Band
Fly Like An Eagle
33 Jackson Browne - The Pretender
34 George Benson - Breezin'
35 Various Artists - Disco Rocket
36 Status Quo - Blue for You
37 Joni Mitchell - Hejira
38 Diana Ross - Diana Ross
39 Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
tp.gif
Night Moves
40 The Beach Boys - 20 Golden Greats
41 Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
42 Elton John - Here & There
43 David Bowie - ChangesOneBowie
44 AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
45 Rush - 2112
46 Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions
47 Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
48 Bellamy Brothers
Let Your Love Flow
49 Aerosmith - Rocks
50 Kiss - Destroyer

Hmmm: ACDC were indeed fantastic but had been around a while as a garage band. Bob Marley...of course.

Bowie was GREAT!!

Greg

I have XM #47 going right now FLY. Old school rap. Don't know if it's the "best" but it comes pretty darn close IMHO.

The new spotlight on indie is encouraging too.

yea, today's country music is kind of like pop music with a little twang

but now they have rapping country and that's so far out of the ball park of being 'country' it's unrecognizable

Some asshole tried to get me to listen to it and I threw his phone in the bushes a few weeks ago ...

Here's some country rap from 1970. I was in Germany in Nov '70 and it was the most requested song on Armed Forces Radio Network for about one month. Then the Department of Defense forbid AFN from playing it and took all the 45s out of the PX system. I have no idea why.:dunno:

Actually talking the words (not singing) has been around for years even before this...….but I don't know that I'd call it rap, just sayin

I heard that it was olden days Scottish in origin; when they were abusing/taking the Pfizer out of each other.

Greg

I don't know about being Scottish in origin, but I was thinking of this

I cannot comprehend why Bob Dylan gets on a lists like this. Or maybe I do. ;) He could not sing, could not play and composed painfully stupid stuff.

Steve Wilson is the modern day Bach IMO. An oldie...

Last edited:
I cannot comprehend why Bob Dylan gets on a lists like this. Or maybe I do. ;) He could not sing, could not play and composed painfully stupid stuff.

Steve Wilson is the modern day Bach IMO. An oldie...

I quite liked his early stuff; very folksy. But later? Total drug stuffed crap.

Greg

Mid 60's to mid 70's was it for me. Music has pretty much been crap since then. Hair bands, Disco, Grunge, hip-hop - not much worthwhile IMHO.

As much as Disco is despised and rightfully so, it did bring back dancing

With the introduction of the Twist in the early 60s and stoner Rock Music shortly after, couples dancing disappeared. Just look at swing during the 40 s and compare it to what substituted for dancing in the late 60s

Disco thrived because women wanted to dance again

I'm going to likely upset everyone! I believe the best overall decade was the 1950's. I believe this because I was a small child then and well remember the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. The reason I feel the 50's was the best decade was because of the end of World War II a lot of technical advances appeared and sound recording was no exception. HiFidelity and Stereo both appeared as did 33 1/3 rpm and 45's.

As a result there was a reawakening of classical music. Unfortunately much of the music of the 40's, 30's, 20's etc., was stored away or lost; however, people were then listening to EVERYTHING and the radio programs included a combination or easy listening, rock-a-billy, movie themes, pop, rock'n roll, jazz, funny and band music...

There was seemingly and endless variety of music found even during one program. Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Johnny Mathis, Elvis, Bill Haley, Nat King Cole, and even David Rose and his Orchestra might be played on the very same network. It all depended on what listeners requested or what might be considered the neatest and latest sound.

The music was happy, sad, lovely, patriotic, wild and neatto --- real cool man... There were bands, groups, trios, duets, choral, orchestrated, and crooners. The 50's had it all and in good measure. As an example, here is how 1950 started out.

Forum List

Back