Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Blue and Black

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Blue and Brown

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Combination

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I see white and gold. But the color you think you see is often based on perspective bias. Your brain can convince you of a great many things.

I don't think so because then it would happen all the time. We would all be seeing things in different colors.
If you want to see "blue" instead of "white" make a peep hole with your hand close one eye and look through the peep hole in your hand at just the center of the dress. Now you'll see that the dress is really light blue and brown.

What's happening is the intense bright part of the image is convincing your brain that it's white. When you peep only at the middle of the dress you don't see the intense bright white that is causing bias.

I see white and gold. But the color you think you see is often based on perspective bias. Your brain can convince you of a great many things.

I don't think so because then it would happen all the time. We would all be seeing things in different colors.
If you want to see "blue" instead of "white" make a peep hole with your hand close one eye and look through the peep hole in your hand at just the center of the dress. Now you'll see that the dress is really light blue and brown.

What's happening is the intense bright part of the image is convincing your brain that it's white. When you peep only at the middle of the dress you don't see the intense bright white that is causing bias.

It isn't brown at all. The color of the actual dress is blue and black. It was all over the Today Show this morning. It is a blue dress with black lace. However, when my cousin and I were looking at the same picture at the same time, while in the same room, we saw it as being two different colors. And, as I stated, if that was the case, then none of us would ever agree on the color of things, but that is just not the case. As far as I know, this is only a phenomenon with THIS dress.

It isn't brown at all. The color of the actual dress is blue and black. It was all over the Today Show this morning. It is a blue dress with black lace. However, when my cousin and I were looking at the same picture at the same time, while in the same room, we saw it as being two different colors. And, as I stated, if that was the case, then none of us would ever agree on the color of things, but that is just not the case. As far as I know, this is only a phenomenon with THIS dress.

And more specifically, this one particular photo of that dress.

It's likely that the camera screwed something up.

Still strange that two people will look at the same image in the same room at the same time and see it as different colors, don't you think? So far there has been absolutely no valid explanation for it, IMO. It must be some kind of optical illusion that is just really, really good. I have no idea how it could be done.

It's also strange that most people are seeing the dress as white and gold when it is really blue and black.
Nah not strange at all. Put any light blue dress in between you and a bright light and you brain will bias out the light blue. FYI the sky is not blue either. Your eyes and brain are flawed instruments.

It's also strange that most people are seeing the dress as white and gold when it is really blue and black.
Nah not strange at all. Put any light blue dress in between you and a bright light and you brain will bias out the light blue. FYI the sky is not blue either. It's purple.

Maybe so, but if that was the case, it would happen more often, don't you think? I've never had that happen before. And if that was the case, my cousin and I would have seen the same thing, no? We were sitting next to each other and looking at the dress on her computer.

Nah not strange at all. Put any light blue dress in between you and a bright light and you brain will bias out the light blue. FYI the sky is not blue either. It's purple.

Maybe so, but if that was the case, it would happen more often, don't you think? I've never had that happen before. And if that was the case, my cousin and I would have seen the same thing, no? We were sitting next to each other and looking at the dress on her computer.
It happens all the time... "wash out" but usually when you are squinting because you are trying to see something that is being washed out by bright light... you don't ask other people what color the thing is.

Still strange that two people will look at the same image in the same room at the same time and see it as different colors, don't you think? So far there has been absolutely no valid explanation for it, IMO. It must be some kind of optical illusion that is just really, really good. I have no idea how it could be done.

Exactly. It's an optical illusion having to do with how different people's brains perceive color under certain kinds of light.

Interestingly, I actually read that "night owls" are more likely to see blue and black, while people who are more used to daytime lighting see white and gold. The second group apparently interprets the lighting in the picture differently than the night people, and that causes their brain to give them an incorrect color scheme for the dress.

It happens all the time... "wash out" but usually when you are squinting because you are trying to see something that is being washed out by bright light... you don't ask other people what color the thing is.

Yes, but this would have been realized I think. Us women talk about dresses and clothes all the time! Lol. We look at pictures online of dresses, in the store, everywhere, and we talk about them too. :D

I took a color blind or not test once... the guy showed me a red light ... then a mostly white light that had some pink... he asks me what color I said pink... he looks at me and says are you sure? I say well it's mostly white but I can still see some red reflection in the light from the other red film on the other slide.... rofl.

Exactly. It's an optical illusion having to do with how different people's brains perceive color under certain kinds of light.

Interestingly, I actually read that "night owls" are more likely to see blue and black, while people who are more used to daytime lighting see white and gold. The second group apparently interprets the lighting in the picture differently than the night people, and that causes their brain to give them an incorrect color scheme for the dress.

Well, I see it in either color depending on when I look at it. It was white and gold, and then I was reading an article about it, looked up, and it looked blue and black again. It is so strange! It just doesn't seem like lighting has anything to do with it, given how often it was changing color for me.

Yes, but this would have been realized I think. Us women talk about dresses and clothes all the time! Lol. We look at pictures online of dresses, in the store, everywhere, and we talk about them too. :D
Yeah well 99999 times out of a 100000 they put the light in front of the dress not behind it. Well unless it's a playboy spread :)

Well, I see it in either color depending on when I look at it. It was white and gold, and then I was reading an article about it, looked up, and it looked blue and black again. It is so strange! It just doesn't seem like lighting has anything to do with it, given how often it was changing color for me.

That's what scientists were saying, in any eventuality. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the lighting conditions present in the photo itself than where you are personally, however.

That's what scientists were saying. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the lighting conditions present in the photo itself than where you are personally, however.

Scientist say there is man-made global warming too! Lol. :wink_2:

Still doesn't explain why two people sitting in the same room at the same time, looking at the same photo see it in two completely different colors. I mean, they aren't even similar colors. Sorry, I think you are wrong. :D

Still doesn't explain why two people sitting in the same room at the same time, looking at the same photo see it in two completely different colors. I mean, they aren't even similar colors. Sorry, I think you are wrong. :D

Actually... white includes blue. On a computer image, white is red + green + blue.

Actually... white includes blue.

Isn't it black that includes all the colors?

Forum List

Back