What Can I Expect?

B. Kidd

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2010
Western Lands
I haven't been east of San Antonio for 25 years, since 1986.
My wife's oldest son is getting married outside of Cincinatti in mid-May. So, I gotta break winter camp here in Yuma in one week and will be shooting out to Memphis on I-40, then up to Nashville, then Louisville, before we get there. Who knows, I could be in a neighborhood near you?
I'm just a little apprehensive, as I haven't been back near-east for so long.
What can I expect?

My wife's oldest son is getting married outside of Cincinatti in mid-May. So, I gotta break winter camp here in Yuma in one week and will be shooting out to Memphis on I-40, then up to Nashville, then Louisville, before we get there. Who knows, I could be in a neighborhood near you?
What can I expect?

Traffic.

Many, many, many detours and road construction projects. And if you googled your route you better have a good old fashioned road atlas with you.

That's a nice drive. Scenic. Go to the states' DOT websites for construction/detours.
Dogwoods should be blooming in TN.
Have fun. Don't sweat it.

Last edited:
I40 bridge at Memphis

i40z06.jpg

Last edited:
What can I expect?

You'll find the percentage of morons in the population outside of the San Antonio area to be roughly equivalent to what you're used to there.

Arrived in Winslow, AZ. yesterday. Laying over 2 days so I can watch Harvick win at Talladega today. On to east of Albuquerque tomorrow for a pull-thru. Clear, sunny, 80 degrees, but wind gusts up to 50 miles per hour through tomorrow. At least the wind is at my back, so might save a little on fuel. No time to peruse the board and post much else for the next 4 days or so.

Are the zombies bad this year? I was going to warn you but apparently didn't move quickly enough.

Found time tonite to post from Santa Rosa, N.M.. It's 50 miles north of Fort Sumter, N.M., where the grave of my kin, Billy, is located. Would've liked to have gone down there and thrown a rose on it, but got to push on into Oklahoma in the A.M.. Next best thing is to wish a big 'F^ck You' to Gov. Bill Richardson for not pardoning the kid, along with numerous etcetera 'F^ck Yous' to Pat Garretts descendants who were against the pardon.
On old Rte. 66 back in Winslow, AZ. and here in Santa Rosa, no less than half of the small businesses are closed and shuttered. Rte. 66, referred to as 'The Mother Road' and 'Main Street U.S.A.' is slipping into a bygone era, at least here in the southwest. A freakin' shame!

The main thing to avoid if possible when heading east is Illinois. That corrupt money hungry state has the patrol pull over out of stater's & ticket them for a fake trumped up charge or two. They have been voted the most corrupt state in the union for good reason. If you break down or run out of gas they will impound your vehicle in 2 hours even if it is well off the road. While impounded they will screw up the engine & send you to one of their corrupt mechanics.

Even the gas stations are corrupt. Besides charging you some of the highest prices in the country, they have bad pumps & hoses. If one of them break while you are filling up, they will call the police on you & say that you broke their fuel pump. They will take your license info & file a claim against your auto insurance insisting that you destroyed their pump.

Illinois has the highest sales tax around, It's about 11% at most areas in Illinois. Avoid the state if at all possible. If not possible then fuel up before crossing the state line so you can sail through without stopping in there at all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back