What ARENT we doing for vets!?

Timmy

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
This is a big mantra this election. That we "are Not doing enough for vets!" How so ?

If anything We do TOO MUCH for vets . the VA should be for vets who were lifers and /or injured as a result of thier service .

Instead, so much vet money goes to ex soildiers who really don't need the help.

My brother was in the marines in the late 80s. Did his stint, got out , has a good job and bennies like health insurance . Does he need any vet bennies ? Whether it be subsidized loans or va health care. It's not like he was drafted , he joined on his own.

I hope we can have a discussion on this and not be attacked by the PC police .

This is a big mantra this election. That we "are Not doing enough for vets!" How so ?

If anything We do TOO MUCH for vets . the VA should be for vets who were lifers and /or injured as a result of thier service .

My brother was in the marines in the late 80s. Did his stint, got out , has a good job and bennies like health insurance . Does he need any vet bennies ? Whether it be subsidized loans or va health care. It's not like he was drafted , he joined on his own.

One complaint I have heard is that Vets have to wait incredibly long amounts of time for treatment....
And they have to travel hundreds of miles to a center for treatment....

Ok...That's two things that come to mind.

One complaint I have heard is that Vets have to wait incredibly long amounts of time for treatment....

If u live far from a major city you probably are far from a va hospital .

Is the VA medical setup outdated ? Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?

Is the VA medical setup outdated ? Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?
Good question. But if they have lingering effects stemming from their service, then just general health insurance isn't gonna help them. But overall, if a guy earned lifetime medical care, and he's normally healthy/unhealthy, I don't see why he shouldn't get high tier Obamacare policy for "free."

I was going to post this to a separate thread, but appears to be most relevant here.

The Families Suffer Just as Much as the Vet

725634-840x420.jpg

This is a story of the wife of a veteran suffering severe PTSD, as well as extreme pain from botched surgery. And, the VA doesn't make it easy for her or her husband. And, if it comes to something more than pills, VA doctors have little idea of what to do to help those suffering from PTSD. And, some of the methods proven effect are off the VA list as they are not “traditional.”

Read the full sad story @ PTSD Is The War Families Fight At Home

then they need to make other options for these vets to go to different hospitals. They did their duty now the government needs to take care of them no matter what !

Veterans earned the right to treatment at a VA, at no charge. Why not let them see a Dr closer to them and the government pick up the tab? Use a voucher system

Why not just "obamacare " these guys so they can use local doctors ?

Look up Tricare.

It was around long before Obama

The US Government could :

1) Provide education ( beyond the current set time limit....which I believe is ten years) to a veteran, no matter how long they have been discharged. A one time deal - no matter when - for a bachelors degree or vocational training ( welding - pipefitting - auto mechanics / diesel mechanics...ect) and 80% or better for a masters degree.

2) Provide more points, than the 5 or 10 extra points you get for being a veteran and applying for a Government job. The US Govt gets someone trained in leadership, teamwork / cohesion, strategy, management, critical thinking. 5 or 10 points does not let the veteran stand out from the rest "of the class".

3) Medical care for free at local hospitals if a VA Hospital is greater than 120 miles from where the veteran lives. The care could have a set monetary limit yearly so the local hospital does not "Take the Govt to the bank."

4) Job assistance centers with trained career counselors, helpin gveterans obtain jobs at the state and federal level. State jobs usually apply 4 years of successful veterans service toward retirement ; Government jobs apply all of a veterans service toward retirement. Career counselor could also help with filling out job applicaitons and creating resumes.

5) Help homeless veterans. Apartments built or set up for homeless veterans. Vets can take care of the apartments - mow the lawn - clean and take small jobs to live in the apartments / housing complexes....ect. Homeless vets is disheartening, especially in the winter months.

6) Some finanical assistance while going to college to pay bills, make a car payment......ect. Its hard to go to school full time - work part time and make ends meet. Vets put their lives in harms way, and went more than the extra mile.....help those whom helped Americans.

The Govt gets their money back for the most part, in the educated veteran whom will pay higher taxs than if they worked at McDonalds or a car wash, or some supermarket.

Shadow 355

Barry Coates dead; veteran was face of the VA scandal - CNN.com

If we want to change the deal we made with these people we better make sure that we improve things, not cut costs at their expense. As far as the type of service or length of service affecting benefits goes, that's debatable, and might make sense. The main problem right now is the horrible bureaucratic nightmare that we've allowed the VA to become. The building where these backlogged records are being kept was suffering structural damage because of the weight of these records. That's pretty astonishing.

Veterans Affairs Backlog Files Stacked So High, They Posed Safety Risk to Staff | PBS NewsHour

Man, I could spend hours telling you how the government has been screwing over military retirees. And the guy behind it is Paul Ryan.

I have spent considerable gobs of my time over the past eight years battling people at every level in Washington DC over Tricare changes and cuts.

One example: Two fiscal years ago, Congress changed the rules for Primary Care Managers (PCM). Now, your PCM has to be within 50 miles of a Military Treatment Facility (MTF). And VA hospitals don't count as MTFs!!!

In rural areas, there are no MTFs anywhere nearby.

Here's the crazy thing. You are not going to believe this: If you live within 50 miles of a military base, you can go to any civilian doctors off base that you wish. However, if you DON'T live within 50 miles of a military base, you CANNOT go to a civilian doctor.

I shit you not. I am not making this up.

Up until two years ago, my family's doctor was right here where we live. A doctor we have been using for many years. Then, after the change, we were no longer allowed to see that doctor. We now have to travel over 50 miles to see one who is inside the 50 mile radius of an MTF which is 100 miles away.

So much for "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"! But that is not Obama's doing. That is Paul Ryan's doing.

Timmy, I look at it differently than you. I ask, "What have I done?' Not only what have I done for the vets but for the homeless, the needy, etc. To me, that is the question I am responsible for answering.

We pay them just above the poverty line in retirement so they cant collect other gov financial aid but they still don't have enough money to live on.

Crap healthcare via Tricare and the VA Hospitals. Which the government robs blind and then underfunds.

Why would they want to pay for Obamacare when they are already supposed to get healthcare for FREE via retirement benefits?

WOW! The libtard mindset.....is just disgusting.

I will bet your brother doesn't use any VA benefits. I served and I get practically nothing.

WOW! The libtard mindset.....is just disgusting.
Always has been.

My father is a veteran and REFUSES to use the VA because of how incompetent,slow,and corrupt it is.
My dad uses the VA and he is quite happy with them. They've taken good care of him.

I've used it once, 25 years ago, to determine my level of disability.

Now that the wife is retiring, may have to use it

Forum List

Back