What are your favorite tomato varieties?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I tried growing tomatoes several times here. But there was not enough sunlight. We have a lot of trees in our yard. Last year a huge hickory tree had to be taken down. Now I have sunlight galore.

The ground is mostly clay and is full of roots. So I am growing in straw bales and a couple in large containers.

I have Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, Better Boy, and Mortgage Lifter.

I will spend the next season or two figuring out which I like best and which grow best in my area (Zone 7).

Anyone have any favorite varieties that will grow well in the south? And has anyone ever grown Mortgage Lifter? The other varieties I am growing I have grown before.

Beefsteak is my favorite.

Had one once, it was HUGE. I couldn't even put both my hands around it.

I got a slice of it, and it was like tomato flavored candy! Sweet, juicy, and OH SO ADDICTIVE!!!

Have yet to ever find Beefsteaks in the store, at a farmers market, or even at the side of the road sellers.

Beefsteak is my favorite.

Had one once, it was HUGE. I couldn't even put both my hands around it.

I got a slice of it, and it was like tomato flavored candy! Sweet, juicy, and OH SO ADDICTIVE!!!

Have yet to ever find Beefsteaks in the store, at a farmers market, or even at the side of the road sellers.

Beefsteak was my Dad's favorite to grow. From what I have read, the Mortgage Lifter make huge, juicy tomatoes as well. I'm hoping.

Mortgage lifter yes
Have you tried west virginia mountaineer.

Clay soil. Keep turning. Add gypsum and a little fertilizer. Egg shell for tomato plants. Works for me. You'll have to experiment.

I tried growing tomatoes several times here. But there was not enough sunlight. We have a lot of trees in our yard. Last year a huge hickory tree had to be taken down. Now I have sunlight galore.

The ground is mostly clay and is full of roots. So I am growing in straw bales and a couple in large containers.

I will spend the next season or two figuring out which I like best and which grow best in my area (Zone 7).

Anyone have any favorite varieties that will grow well in the south? And has anyone ever grown Mortgage Lifter? The other varieties I am growing I have grown before.
Mortgage Lifters are one of the best tomato's there are

But they grow very tall and need constant pruning

I like the dwarf tomatoes which take less work

Mortgage lifter yes
Have you tried west virginia mountaineer.

Clay soil. Keep turning. Add gypsum and a little fertilizer. Egg shell for tomato plants. Works for me. You'll have to experiment.

I have not tried it. But I will look for it. Good?

It is not just the clay soil. The only time I have had to dig in our yard, I spent as much time with the axe as with the shovel.

So far the straw bale method is working well.

We've done those and others as well.
My favorite is the Cherokee Purple, but Mortgage Lifter and BeefSteak are also winners.
You should be able to get a second year use out of your straw bales, but may need to pack them down and add some dirt next year.
We grow from saved seeds, but start indoors about late March in "red cups" under LED grow lights, and on trays on metal frame racks. By late April~early May ready to plant out doors, after a few days of the starts outside to climatize.
Suggest websearch for heirloom tomates, here's a couple of finds to start.

Mortgage Lifters are the very best.

I was never particularly thrilled with those. Having been in the garden since as a toddler who decided that pulling out the plants, then pulling the weeds, and then replanting the plants was the best way to do that job, I don't think there is a best tomato variety. Some years seem to be more favorable for some than others. Last year the black krims did really well for me when most years they don't. I just take a scattergun approach planting a half dozen or so different indeterminant, a random determinant and a few variety of cherries and let the chips fall where they may.

I was never particularly thrilled with those. Having been in the garden since as a toddler who decided that pulling out the plants, then pulling the weeds, and then replanting the plants was the best way to do that job, I don't think there is a best tomato variety. Some years seem to be more favorable for some than others. Last year the black krims did really well for me when most years they don't. I just take a scattergun approach planting a half dozen or so different indeterminant, a random determinant and a few variety of cherries and let the chips fall where they may.

That is kind of what I have done. Small scale the first year. 6 plants with 4 different varieties.

Forum List

Back