What are your earliest memories?

Not to get too far off-topic, but since I'm reminded of it, if you pour two bowls of applesauce and put a packet of artificial sweetner in one of the bowls and then sit both bowls in front of your dog, he'll eat the regular one and won't touch the one that's poisoned with the artificial sweetner.

Mine won't anyway.

Given where I lived at the time I must have been three. I remember my room in the old log house my parents rented at the time. In particular I remember some of the glass panes in the window being thick and "wavy" as old glass was in the 1700s.....Odd what you remember.

In later years I found out it was the oldest house in my town. They sold it, tore it apart, numbered the logs, and it was reconstructed as a guest house on former Virginia Senator John Warner's horse farm in Middleburg, Virginia.

My earliest memory could be one of two memories I have, it is not really possible to know which was first.
1) I was afraid to go into a neighbors basement and was upset as my oldest brother was carrying me down the steps.
-Or - 2) Playing in the hallway off of our bedroom with tin spin tops.

We moved out of that house in 1968, confirmed with photos. I was born in 1965.
So it would have been before I was 3 years old.

My brother and dad confirmed my memory that I sang Bozo the Clown at my baptism. I was around 2.5 years old. I thought that was young but New research shows that our earliest memories may begin at age 2.5, about a year sooner than previously thought. How far back you can remember depends on a long line-up of factors, including your culture, gender, family, and the way in which you're asked to recall memories.

I may remember a few other things from this age but I don't remember how old I was. I may find out I was 3 or 4 when those things happened.

I sort of remember being a baby. I mean, a baby. And opening the screen door and it was winter. I remember iBt dawned on me that I'd be dead if I was ever stuck out in it. But I was also testing myself. Like I was in a diaper and putting my bare foot in the snow. I wonder how much of that actually happened or was it just a dream?

Anyways, I can say I remember things when I was in my terrible 2's. Can you?
I was 8 months old and had pnemonia and was in the hospital and remember climbing out of the crib and going to the nurses station many times,,
I was to cute for them to get mad at,,

Our Dad taking my sister and me , by car to Kindergarten early in the mornings....

My grandparents bringing delicious sweets for us....then all having tea together.....

many other things....

I think my very earliest memory that I can remember was before I could even walk.

All I could do was stand up and hold onto the top of my crib.

Anyhow, long story short, what had happened was that I had gotten into my diaper.

I was covered from head to toe in shit, giggling my ass off, when my mom walked in and started yelling. Then I started crying.

My brother and dad confirmed my memory that I sang Bozo the Clown at my baptism. I was around 2.5 years old. I thought that was young but New research shows that our earliest memories may begin at age 2.5, about a year sooner than previously thought. How far back you can remember depends on a long line-up of factors, including your culture, gender, family, and the way in which you're asked to recall memories.

I may remember a few other things from this age but I don't remember how old I was. I may find out I was 3 or 4 when those things happened.

I sort of remember being a baby. I mean, a baby. And opening the screen door and it was winter. I remember iBt dawned on me that I'd be dead if I was ever stuck out in it. But I was also testing myself. Like I was in a diaper and putting my bare foot in the snow. I wonder how much of that actually happened or was it just a dream?

I remember playing in a sand box before I could even speak. that was about '53.

I was born in one of the Projects (Terrace Village) of Pittsburgh. I have many memories of playing on the sidewalks, in the neighborhood, and at a neighborhood playground.

As the youngest of five children, my older siblings remember things that one would think I would remember, but do not. Also, some events have been told to me so many times that it seems like I remember them, but I don't.

One event that I do not remember was getting lost at a park when I was in the care of my God-parents. They have told me that they looked for hours before finding me; I would have been pre-school, about five. I have no recollection at all.

I was born in one of the Projects (Terrace Village) of Pittsburgh. I have many memories of playing on the sidewalks, in the neighborhood, and at a neighborhood playground.

As the youngest of five children, my older siblings remember things that one would think I would remember, but do not. Also, some events have been told to me so many times that it seems like I remember them, but I don't.

One event that I do not remember was getting lost at a park when I was in the care of my God-parents. They have told me that they looked for hours before finding me; I would have been pre-school, about five. I have no recollection at all.
You had the best day. Didn't even realize you were missing. So that day doesn't stick in your mind like it does theirs. They lost their shit that day. Amber alert anyone? LOL

I remember playing in a sand box before I could even speak. that was about '53.
12 to 18 months typically for kids to speak. So it could have been you were 1.5 year old. That would be young. They think the average person remembers 2.5 years.

I'm sure some of my memories buried deep are from younger than the baptism when I was 2.5 years old but I can't pinpoint one of them. Another problem for me is my mom wiped my ass for way too long. Because I can remember her cutting me off. I was pretty old. I actually remember that day but I don't remember how old I was I peeked out and we had company over and I said MOM and she finally said WIPE YOUR OWN ASS IT'S TIME. LOL

12 to 18 months typically for kids to speak. So it could have been you were 1.5 year old. That would be young. They think the average person remembers 2.5 years.

I'm sure some of my memories buried deep are from younger than the baptism when I was 2.5 years old but I can't pinpoint one of them. Another problem for me is my mom wiped my ass for way too long. Because I can remember her cutting me off. I was pretty old. I actually remember that day but I don't remember how old I was I peeked out and we had company over and I said MOM and she finally said WIPE YOUR OWN ASS IT'S TIME. LOL
I was born in march of '51, but I'm only guessing that it was '53. In the 50s, all kids got the measles, mumps, and rubella, including myself, so we didn't need the MMR shots when they came a long years later ('71) we are immune for life.

Last edited:

It was sometime before the age of 3, but Mom, my brother and I were living at Grandma's house, and everything there was white--white walls, white sheets, white bedspreads, oh, but the floors were wood and light brown. Dad was in Korea, but I was too young to know that. Sometime, he came back, and all I remember about his homecoming was that my mean cousin Linda bit him on the leg. Ow!

Forum List

Back