What Are You Reading?

The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service
Book by Rosina Harrison

'I was able to get on well with everyone below stairs and above, or so I thought until I began working for Lady Astor...' In 1929, Yorkshire lass Rosina Harrison became personal maid to Lady Astor: the first female Member of Parliament to take her seat and wife of one of England's wealthiest lords. Lady Astor was brilliant yet tempestuous, but outspoken Rose gave as good as she got. For 35 years the battle of wills and wits raged between the two women, until an unlikely friendship began to emerge. The Lady's Maid is a captivating insight into the great wealth 'upstairs' but also the endless work 'downstairs', but it is Rose's unique relationship with Lady Astor that makes this book a truly enticing read. Please note, The Lady's Maid is the new title for the book originally published as Rose.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_20-51-34.png
    upload_2018-11-4_20-51-34.png
    577 bytes · Views: 105
  • upload_2018-11-4_20-51-34.png
    upload_2018-11-4_20-51-34.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
The Body in the Vestibule
Book by Katherine Hall Page

Another thrilling Faith Fairchild adventure from the Agatha Award-winning author of The Body in the Belfry. The Fairchild family is blissfully on sabbatical in Lyon, France, when their peace is interrupted by Faith's discovery of a body in the dumpster.
is it any good Marianne???steve

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Novel by Mark Twain

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom

Rate this book
Fat Tuesday Fricassee
(Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mystery #3)
by
J.J. Cook

The national bestselling author of Fry Another Day serves up a third helping in the Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mystery series…

It’s Mardi Gras in Mobile, Alabama, and food truck chef Zoe Chase is driven to distraction attending high-society soirees, feeding the partying masses, and getting the skinny on a Fat Tuesday murder…

Two weeks of carnival celebrations has got Zoe running ragged. By day, she charms hungry tourists with authentic Southern cuisine. At night, she accompanies her father to one masquerade ball after another, hobnobbing with the high rollers of the secret cabal known as the Mistics of Time.

But the fun turns frightening when Zoe stumbles across “Death’s” dead body. Journalist Jordan Phillips attended the Mistics’ latest bash in a traditional Death costume, and received a fatal bullet wound for the privilege. With more than three hundred masked suspects determined to remain anonymous, and the police covering up the facts behind the murder of the investigative reporter, Zoe realizes the Mistics have some serious secrets to hide…

Rediscover Jesus
Play by Matthew Kelly

At a time when so many people are spiritually disillusioned and searching for ways to live, love, work, and play that nurture the soul rather than destroy it, Matthew Kelly once again delivers a powerful book that encourages us in our weariness, challenges us in our comfort, and invites us to rediscover the beautiful possibilities God places before us daily. Rediscover Jesus is a profound invitation to seek deeply personal answers to our deeply personal questions. Each page seems to effortlessly reach into every aspect our lives, providing spiritual wisdom and practical insights that help us to know both Jesus and ourselves in a new way. Some books find us at just the right time, and those books change our lives forever. Rediscover Jesus is one of those books. How Well Do You Know Jesus? I think about this often, and I always come to the same realization. I don't know Jesus anywhere near as well as I would like to know him. The desire is there, but life gets in the way. There are times when I seem to be making great progress, and other times when I wonder if I know him at all. But I always arrive back at the same inspiring and haunting idea: If there is one person that we should each get to know in a deeply personal way, it is Jesus the carpenter from Nazareth, the itinerant preacher, the Son of God, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, the Lamb of God, the new Adam, the Messiah, the Alpha and the Omega, the Chosen One, the Light of the World, the God-Man who wants good things for us more than we want them for ourselves, the healer of our souls.

A Widow's Hope
by Vannetta Chapman

tragedy claimed her husband’s life and her son’s ability to walk, Hannah King doesn’t want a new man. She has her family, a home and mounting debts. Scarred Amish bachelor Jacob Schrock offers Hannah the job she desperately needs. But while Hannah helps Jacob resolve his accounting issues, can she and her little boy also heal his wounded heart?

The Christmas Hope
Novel by Donna Vanliere

Perennial New York Times bestsellers and Audie Award finalists The "Christmas Shoes "and" The Christmas Blessing" have become inspirational holiday classics, and THE CHRISTMAS HOPE is poised to become a seasonal favorite in its own rightPatricia and Mark Addison have long given up the hope of having a meaningful Christmas. But this year, Patricia's job as a social worker will lead her to a very special five-year-old. Against her better judgment, Patricia bends the rules and takes the little girl to her own home. Through the presence of Emily in their house, and her penetrating questions about heaven, the Addisons learn that there is no sorrow so great that faith cannot help you find your way through. And Christmas will once more be a time of joy in their home. THE CHRISTMAS HOPE is a story of love in the face of loss, joy when all seems hopeless, and how light can shine into the darkest places.

Mistletoe and Mayhem

by
Kate Kingsbury (Goodreads Author)

In this Pennyfoot Hotel Christmas mystery, guests and staff alike are coming together under the kissing bough--only to fall victim to a cold-blooded killer...

At the Pennyfoot Hotel, Cecily Sinclair Baxter and her staff are hustling and bustling more than ever. Cecily's dear friend Madeline arrives with her new baby and adds a kissing bough to the festive decorations. Cecily gets in the spirit by kissing the precious baby beneath the bough, believing that the holiday couldn't be getting off to a better start.

But after a footman and a new maid are seen kissing under the bough and turn up dead, the staff is convinced a serial killer is spending the holidays at the Pennyfoot. And when Madeline's baby disappears, Cecily has her hands full desperately trying to find the child. If she doesn't catch this killer in time, everyone's cheer will quickly turn to fear... (less)

I have been reading ' Consciousness explained' by Daniel Dennet. I then tweeted him on twitter and said he admits his ideas are only a theory, so why did he not call the book Consciousness explored, not explained.
Then I could have ignored it.
In his theories he discounts dualism very briefly mentioning and dismissing it. He also gives no credibility to poltergeists being able to move things around, and assumes no such things have ever happened.
So if there is any evidence whatever of real poltergeist activity, Dennets theories would be shown to be false.

His slogan is, ' mind is brain' and mine is, consciousness is the spirit incarnate in the flesh.

All Through the Night
Book by Mary Higgins Clark

"A desperate mother. Her missing child. A stolen chalice." With "Silent Night," Mary Higgins Clark, America's own Queen of Suspense, gave her readers their best Christmas present ever. Now, with "All Through the Night," she once again celebrates the Christmas season with a tale of suspense that will keep readers turning the pages -- all through the night. At the center of the novel are two of Mary Higgins Clark's most beloved characters, Alvirah, the lottery winner turned amateur sleuth, and her husband, Willy, both of them caught up in a Christmas mystery that calls on all of Alvirah's deductive powers, as well as Willy's world-class common sense. The story begins when a young unmarried woman leaves her newborn child on the rectory doorstep at a church on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. At the same moment, inside the church, a young man is stealing a treasured artifact, a chalice adorned with a single star-shaped diamond. Both the infant and the chalice disappear. Seven years later, a few weeks before Christmas, Alvirah and Willy are busy helping Willy's sister Cordelia, a nun who runs a thrift shop that doubles as an after-school shelter for neighborhood kids, prepare for the upcoming Christmas pageant. The future of the shelter is threatened, however, when the city condemns the building for that use, and it is further jeopardized when a nearby brownstone to which the shelter was to be moved turns out to have been willed to a young couple who were tenants in the building. Alvirah refuses to believe that the will is genuine and sets out to prove that the couple are con artists. Soon she is involved in the mystery of the chalice and the child. In "AllThrough the Night," Mary Higgins Clark has fashioned a Christmas gift for all her readers.

Arduino Programming with .NET and Sketch

Leverage .NET and Sketch in your Arduino development implementation and integrate it into your .NET program.

There are many Arduino models and compatible shields that can be used in Arduino boards. Integrating between an Arduino platform and .NET technology or Sketch can produce more advantages. Arduino Programming using .NET and Sketch shows readers how to do so with practical Arduino projects, such as preparing a development environment, performing sensing and actuating with external devices, implementing Windows Remote Arduino and building a simple IoT program.

Use this quick reference to learn the basics of the Arduino platform for multiple models and start your Arduino programming in .NET and Sketch today.

What You'll Learn:
  • Learn the basics of the Arduino platform
  • Prepare and set up an Arduino development environment
  • Develop an Arduino program using .NET and Sketch
  • Implement Windows Remote Arduino
  • Build a simple IoT program

https://amzn.to/2HiKsEA

Forum List

Back