What are you reading?

I may have mentioned this one before, but you should really give this a read. Get straightened out.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Give-Damn-Frustrations-Challenges/dp/1466369094/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379711553&sr=1-1&keywords=don%27t+give+a+damn+how+to+cope]Don't Give a Damn: How to Cope with the Fears, Frustrations, and Challenges of Daily Life: Dr. Bill Chun MD: 9781466369092: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

The Stealers Of Dreams......by Steve Lyons....a Doctor Who Adventure featuring the 9th Doctor and Rose and Capt. Jack.....

I've never read a Who book, how are they?

i think they are pretty good.....especially many of the early doctor ones......and the authors have the characters down pretty good too.....the books of course are more involved then the tv shows are.....you just have to try and get them in publishing order.....

The Stealers Of Dreams......by Steve Lyons....a Doctor Who Adventure featuring the 9th Doctor and Rose and Capt. Jack.....

i think they are pretty good.....especially many of the early doctor ones......and the authors have the characters down pretty good too.....the books of course are more involved then the tv shows are.....you just have to try and get them in publishing order.....

And they are in no particular order, right? Or are there references to incidents in previous books.

And they are in no particular order, right? Or are there references to incidents in previous books.

well sometimes there are references.....when you look at the list of books there are a few that are a small series like 3-5 parts....you want to stay away from the novelization of the TV shows unless you want that type of thing.....i have been reading the New Adventures Series,the Missing Adventures series and The Past Doctors Books featuring the 1st thru the 8th Doctors....lots of paperbacks,some are way to expensive.....like 40 bucks for a used paperback??....what the hell....but MANY you can get for a buck up to 10 bucks thru amazon....the 7th and 8th Doctors have more novels than any of them,the 10th Doctor has quite a few, the 9th Doctor only has 6.....the New Series features the 9th,10th and 11th Doctors....here is a list of them in order of release .....

Doctor Who Books - Checklist

Last edited:

well sometimes there are references.....when you look at the list of books there are a few that are a small series like 3-5 parts....you want to stay away from the novelization of the TV shows unless you want that type of thing.....i have been reading the New Adventures Series,the Missing Adventures series and The Past Doctors Books featuring the 1st thru the 8th Doctors....lots of paperbacks,some are way to expensive.....like 40 bucks for a used paperback??....what the hell....but MANY you can get for a buck up to 10 bucks thru amazon....the 7th and 8th Doctors have more novels than any of them,the 10th Doctor has quite a few, the 9th Doctor only has 6.....the New Series features the 9th,10th and 11th Doctors....here is a list of them in order of release .....

Doctor Who Books - Checklist

Awesome, thanks for the link. :)

I've just finished one of the finest (yeah, I know I should say finer) books I've read in a couple of years. It challenged my thinking and my preconceived ideas in a number of ways. It was well worth the time it took to read it despite the fact that it's not a page turner.

It's a horrible title for a very good book that was also sold under the title of "When Atheism Becomes Religion: America's New Fundamentalists"

It's written by Chris Hedges

1888742.jpg

title I Don't Believe in Atheists

The Death of the Liberal Class

By Chris Hedges

His books are not for everyone. But I find him to be a breath of fresh air in the otherwise stale world of political writing. Perhaps that's why this is the fourth book of his I've read.

He's an intellectual who was born into a religious family, experienced privilege in our educational system, and then covered wars all over the world for several years. So, he has a unique perspective that the average citizen would not have. He's also probably more well read in terms of the depth of his reading that most people who read his books.

But this book can be grim at times since it's a history of the liberal class (not the definition most people think of when they think of the liberal class), and how it's been decimated in the last hundred years and ultimately sold out in order to join the establishment.

Hedges' books do have a tendency to feel grim in his predictions of the future based on current trends, but this book is particularly difficult in the sense that Hedges sees so many forces lined up against human beings. It's not just greed and the political system. It's technology and our inability to face pending environmental disasters we're creating in our quest to have more of everything.

Hedges suggests people need to resist 'the system' in order that we can individually and collectively maintain our humanity in a world which demands conformity. But anyone who does so must be prepared to pay a high price.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back