What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Krzysztof Penderecki "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima" composed in 1960 for 52 string instruments. Krzysztof Penderecki is one of Poland's greatest Contemporary Classical composers.

Here it says "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima", which is incorrect, it's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"

The composition is 8 minutes and 38 seconds in duration.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Peter Lieberson "Concerto For Piano - First Movement" composed in 1983.

Peter Lieberson was the son of German-Norwegian ballerina Vera Zorina, her stage name, her birth name Eva Brigitta Hartwig.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Etta James "Tell Mama" recorded in 1967 and released in 1967 as a "7 on Cadet Records. Recorded at the FAME (Florence Alabama Music Enterprises) Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. In 1968 James' eighth album titled "Tell Mama" released also on Cadet Records.

Cadet Records was a subsidiary of Chess Records, which Argo/Chess was Etta James' original record label.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Rose Murphy "Busy Line" recorded in 1947 on 78 RPM and I'm sure released on His Master's Voice Records in UK and on RCA Victor records in the US. This song is just crazy.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" from the 1972 album "Clear Spot" on Reprise Records.

I love Don Van Vliet, a genuine original. It's impossible to choose a favourite Beefheart song, but "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" is pretty special.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" from the 1972 album "Clear Spot" on Reprise Records.

I love Don Van Vliet, a genuine original. It's impossible to choose a favourite Beefheart song, but "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" is pretty special.

Wow I don't think I've heard that since probably 1972!

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Good stuff huh?

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Good stuff huh?

Absolutely. I was a big beefheart fan back in the day. Must have let it slip away. I'll be rectifying that shortly. Thanks!

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Good stuff huh?

Absolutely. I was a big beefheart fan back in the day. Must have let it slip away. I'll be rectifying that shortly. Thanks!

Yes this is what you must do, start listening to Beefheart again!

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Ornette Coleman Quartet "Blues Connotation" from Coleman's fifth album 1961's "This Is Our Music" released on Atlantic Records.

Ornette Coleman on Alto Saxophone, Donald Cherry on Pocket Trumpet, Charlie Haden on Bass and Ed Blackwell on Drums....Blackwell replaced the previous drummer Billy Higgins.

Forum List

Back