What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Ira Glasser: What Are Conservatives Trying to Conserve?

In 1980 Reagan was elected, and the modern conservative political movement began, not as a protest, but as a hegemony. The lasting accomplishments of the Reagan years may have been the changes in the tax code and regulatory regimes that had prevailed for nearly a half century. But that was not what fueled his electoral success; what fueled his electoral success was the fundamentalist movement represented by Falwell, Pat Robertson and what came to be called the social agenda. Censorship of Kurt Vonnegut, Judy Blume and others, movements to pass "creationist" statutes that attempted to elevate the book of Genesis to a branch of science; hostility to the claims of gays, women and reproductive rights all combined to generate what began to be called "the culture wars." To a very demonstrable extent, I think, the conservative movement of the last 30 years (absent the economic issues of deregulation, also supported by Clinton and Robert Rubin and beyond the comprehension or the interest of most voters) may be seen as a panic response to a crumbling world and to the rights expansions of the '60s that struck like a tsunami, washing away all the prior governing arrangements. For these people, reality itself, or at least a reality where they felt in charge, was disappearing. As always, it was the symbols of these changes that were attacked: the federal courts, especially the Supreme Court, which (unelected) had rendered many of these decisions; the ACLU and Planned Parenthood, which had brought many of the cases or performed hated services; books and magazines and films; television and Hollywood and "eastern elites." When Pat Buchanan roared, in his quixotic presidential campaign, that "we" needed to "take back our country," he was talking about a country prior to the rights revolutions of the 60s, when people who looked and believed like him ruled the roost and did not have their powers limited by the rights we had won. What conservatives were desperately trying to conserve was not the values at America's origin (the Bill of Rights was, after all, ratified in 1791), but rather the privileges and powers of 19th century and early 20th century America. This is what has fueled the reactionary politics of the past three decades, and it is what we are seeing now in the Republican base and its candidates.

Can the forum say Amen? I do, conservatives aren't conserving anything that works to the good of all Americans.

When are you sheep going to realize that so called conservatives are no different than so called liberals.

Neither party spends less than the other.
Both parties increase the size of government at every turn
Both parties want to tell you how to live your lives.

Free your mind from this antiquated 2 party system.

When are you sheep going to realize that so called conservatives are no different than so called liberals.

Says the man who believes federal workers just take and take and don't give, :rolleyes:

Says the man who believes federal workers just take and take and don't give, :rolleyes:

Give what?

Give what?

Federal workers pay taxes and contribute to the economy, but you don't want to believe that.

Give what?

Federal workers pay taxes and contribute to the economy, but you don't want to believe that.

You do realize that the taxes federal workers pay are totally funded by the private sector don't you?

And taking money from one sector to give to another does not really contribute to the economy. What difference does it make if I spend my money or the government gives it to someone else to spend?

Give what?

You do realize that the taxes federal workers pay are totally funded by the private sector don't you?

And taking money from one sector to give to another does not really contribute to the economy. What difference does it make if I spend my money or the government gives it to someone else to spend?

You do realize that the tax dollars of federal workers pays for the roads you drive on, the cops and military that protect you and social welfare just like everyone else? Private sector people don't drive on private sector roads last time I looked.

You do realize that the tax dollars of federal workers pays for the roads you drive on, the cops and military that protect you and social welfare just like everyone else? Private sector people don't drive on private sector roads last time I looked.

The tax dollars that federal workers "pay" come from the private sector. ALL tax revenue comes from the private sector, therefore the private sector pays for everything including roads.

Tell me where does the money come from to pay government workers?

Since you can't seem to figure it out I'll tell you. ALL the money used to pay government workers comes from the private sector.

Now if government workers pay taxes where does the money to pay those taxes come from? It comes from their salary which is 100% funded by the private sector. So ALL tax revenue is collected from the private sector.

The tax dollars that federal workers "pay" come from the private sector. ALL tax revenue comes from the private sector, therefore the private sector pays for everything including roads.

Since you can't seem to figure it out I'll tell you. ALL the money used to pay government workers comes from the private sector.

Now if government workers pay taxes where does the money to pay those taxes come from? It comes from their salary which is 100% funded by the private sector. So ALL tax revenue is collected from the private sector.

Federal workers contribute tax revenue, you pay your way and the fed workers pay their way. Are you tell me federal workers don't pat taxes? If they didn't you would some semblance of an argument but they do, so your argument is bullshat, private sector workers would be able to get to work without federal workers.

You are more or less correct when it comes to the Masters, Skull. Describing them as either CONS or LIBS is just silly. They're really neither

The MASTERS true agenda isn't described in the OP.

What that OP ED describs is the FALSE FLAG that the MASTERS OF THE CONs flew to attract the religious right.

Douger actually described THE MASTERS' agenda rather well --to create and maintain the GILDED AGE.

true
true
Both parties want to tell you how to live your lives
. True, but not for any moral or real religious reasoning. ONLY because controlling morality is how one maintains REAL SOCIETAL power.

Last edited:

Federal workers contribute tax revenue, you pay your way and the fed workers pay their way. Are you tell me federal workers don't pat taxes? If they didn't you would some semblance of an argument but they do, so your argument is bullshat, private sector workers would be able to get to work without federal workers.

God you're dense.

If your pay comes 100% from taxes taken from me and then you give 20% of that to the government for taxes. where did the money to pay for those taxes come from?

It came from me not you.

Therefore ALL tax revenue is created by and taken from the private sector. Therefore the private sector pays for everything.

Taxation is mandated by the Constitution. And the government provides a plethora of infrastructure that allows the private economy to thrive.

But if you are so into the "private sector", perhaps you can find a country started by the private sector?

Because I don't think one ever existed.

God you're dense.

If your pay comes 100% from taxes taken from me and then you give 20% of that to the government for taxes. where did the money to pay for those taxes come from?

It came from me not you.

Therefore ALL tax revenue is created by and taken from the private sector. Therefore the private sector pays for everything.

Federal workers contribute a higher proportion of their taxes to the economy than the private sector who keeps more of their money because of laws and loopholes allowed by the federal government, so who is really wiping who's arse?

Taxation is mandated by the Constitution. And the government provides a plethora of infrastructure that allows the private economy to thrive.

But if you are so into the "private sector", perhaps you can find a country started by the private sector?

So who wrote the Constitution that established our government?

It was written by private citizens thus established by the private sector. Countries cannot exist before government and government cannot exist unless people create it.

And your post has nothing to do with the source of tax revenue.

Government and government workers do not contribute to the total tax revenue collected by any government because all that money comes from those in the private sector.

It was written by private citizens thus established by the private sector. Countries cannot exist before government and government cannot exist unless people create it.

Government and government workers do not contribute to the total tax revenue collected by any government because all that money comes from those in the private sector.

Sure they do..both with providing services that allow private companies to profit and direct taxation. What do you suppose would happen if there was no patents handed out? Eh?

Private citizens doesn't equal private sector work force for fack's sake, federal workers are private citizens also.

Private citizens doesn't equal private sector work force for fack's sake, federal workers are private citizens also.

Nit picking now?

Government workers are funded by the private sector therefore the taxes they pay are funded by the private sector therefore everything the government does is funded by the private sector.

Government workers do not add to the net tax revenue.

Tell you what fire every government worker and leave all taxes at the current level. Would the government have more or less money?

Last edited:

Sure they do..both with providing services that allow private companies to profit and direct taxation. What do you suppose would happen if there was no patents handed out? Eh?

All those services could be provided for less cost if contracted out. Then the government would have more money without raising taxes.

Forum List

Back