Westboro Church Plans Anti-Picketing Law Challenges in Wake of Supreme Court Victory

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by WillowTree, Mar 4, 2011.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,733
    WASHINGTON - Emboldened by Wednesday's Supreme Court decision, Westboro Baptist Church attorney Margie Phelps said she will challenge statutes all over the country that restrict picketing at funerals.

The court decided 8-1, with Justice Samuel Alito dissenting, that the First Amendment protected Westboro and the Phelps family from the lawsuit brought by Albert Snyder. The Phelpses picketed the 2006 Westminster, Md., funeral of Snyder's son, causing him emotional distress.
    Phelps said it was ironic that the case that allowed her to argue in front of the nation's highest court came out of Maryland.

FoxNews.com - Westboro Church Plans Anti-Picketing Law Challenges in Wake of Supreme Court Victory

2. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Hopefully that's where they lose. A major reason for the SC ruling was that there was no such law on the books in Maryland.

3. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Westboro is not a church it is a CULT and they are crazy. One of these days we the people need to stand up for what is right. I heard their chants and they accused the dead solider of acts that were false and they had no evidence. It was not free speech but character assassination by innuendo. These people are sick and I still would like to know who is funding that operation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,392
    They won't like it one bit when VFW Posts start to block them at every funeral.

5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Hate speech is protected as long as you are shitting on the fallen and thier families.

Try something like that in Watts, and see how the liberals scream hate speech shouldn't be protected.

gotta admire the families, they have far more discapline and honor than phelps and crew.

6. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    What does this have to do with liberals? People from all sides have been saying the WBC are scumbags and people from both sides have said there are serious 1st Amendment concerns. The problem seems to me that too many are concerned about the whether speech will be banned, when the actual push should be to back it off further from events like funerals. It shouldn't be any problem for them to hold a rally on the other side of town, if they've got something to say.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    two thumbs said it all. If I object to bad behavior I am a racist or anti something but let them attack me and I am just overly sensitive.

8. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    You're both whiners. That isn't what this about at all.

9. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,392
    It's by the Phelps family. They are extremely rich. There are 14 children and 4 are lawyers. They are members of the church.

10. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I believe that everyone has the right to free speech no matter how offensive. I also have the opinion that you have the right to get punched in the nose for such offensive speech. Perhaps this westboro church needs to get some really offensive picketers aimed at them and their beliefs being that offensive free speech is a protected right.