Well, Yes, you paid for the FLIGHT, but if you actually want to sit somewhere...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
So I'm excited to relate that me and the Old Ball & Chain are flying to Venice on Friday/Saturday to take a cruise around the Mediterranean Sea.

Holland America - which I'm trying very hard not to hate - arranged our flights, and they are included in the package price that we have already paid.

Our FLIGHTS are paid for.

Then we go to the airlines to, you know, make sure everything is cool, and to select our seats. We go through the process and are shown a map of the plane's seats. The little icons representing the seats have three possible appearances: one is X-ed out, so not available, one is available at extra cost, and one is available at a higher extra cost. Nowhere on the map is any seat that is, you know, the "standard" seat that we paid for. and it's not like all the standard seats have been taken. There are only about a dozen seats that are X-ed out.

So we are not able to actually sit down on the plane unless we pay extra. Not wanting to be too much of a dick, however, the word, "extra" implies the existence of a reality that is NOT "extra," and that reality does not, apparently, exist.

Is this normal now? I haven't flown in the past year or so, so maybe I'm just not with the times. How do they get away with selling you a ticket for a flight, but making you pay extra for a seat on that flight?

No. I'll just stand. Or maybe sit on the flight deck.

IllRecklessElk-size_restricted.gif

So I'm excited to relate that me and the Old Ball & Chain are flying to Venice on Friday/Saturday to take a cruise around the Mediterranean Sea.

Holland America - which I'm trying very hard not to hate - arranged our flights, and they are included in the package price that we have already paid.

Then we go to the airlines to, you know, make sure everything is cool, and to select our seats. We go through the process and are shown a map of the plane's seats. The little icons representing the seats have three possible appearances: one is X-ed out, so not available, one is available at extra cost, and one is available at a higher extra cost. Nowhere on the map is any seat that is, you know, the "standard" seat that we paid for. and it's not like all the standard seats have been taken. There are only about a dozen seats that are X-ed out.

So we are not able to actually sit down on the plane unless we pay extra. Not wanting to be too much of a dick, however, the word, "extra" implies the existence of a reality that is NOT "extra," and that reality does not, apparently, exist.

Is this normal now? I haven't flown in the past year or so, so maybe I'm just not with the times. How do they get away with selling you a ticket for a flight, but making you pay extra for a seat on that flight?

Kinda normal. They will give you the seats you paid for. And they will seat you together. Normally, a week out from the flight, you should be able to select your own seats. I'd call the airline.

Take the steward's rear facing seats.

We are leaving American over this, three times now they have changed our flight where the connection would be missed and then wanted more to reschedule. So now buying 6 months in advance is not a good deal as they will reschedule you.

An old SNL “airline commercial” comes to mind.

“You’ll feel like you never left the ground …

Because we treat you like dirt!”
“It’s like a cattle car with wings!”

Kinda normal. They will give you the seats you paid for. And they will seat you together. Normally, a week out from the flight, you should be able to select your own seats. I'd call the airline.
They will NOT give me the "seats I paid for." That's my point. Even if I were willing to sit next to a bulkhead or whatever, NO SEAT is available without an extra charge.

omg. please stay in your shithole country.

They will NOT give me the "seats I paid for." That's my point. Even if I were willing to sit next to a bulkhead or whatever, NO SEAT is available without an extra charge.
What I'm telling you is that they won't charge you. RIght now they are trying to trick you into paying extra for the seats they are going to give you for the price you paid.

Back from my cruise, I did have to pay extra for those seats, although Air Canada allowed me to take any two of several available seats on both legs back to the States. (They lost one of my four bags, though - just an inconvenience).

I think I just had to do this once when I booked a flight last minute. Usually I book my flights months in advance and have no issues selecting seats that are standard and not extra.

Forum List

Back