Well said, Mr. President!

It's worth noting that the history of this region dating back thousands of years has usually ended with the same result. Nations and empires, from the British, to the Soviet Union, China, Arabs, and even the Persians have all tried to rules this land. Afghanistan has known in that time period all forms of Govt. Democracy, Marxist, Kings, Islamic, and so on and all of them eventually fade or are reduced into tribal conflict. This is all this region of the world has ever known, tribal conflict and tribal wars. Generation upon generation of young people have grown up not with a sense of national pride or even a sense of regional pride , but a fierce loyality to ones home and tribe. Each time they band together they do so for necessity. This can be seen when we invaded the nation and the Northern Alience banded together to rid themselves of the Taliban. It can also be seen now, as we train new so called Afghan military the sheer number of members that just disappear and return to their homes. Afghanistan is not Iraq and the nation is little sense of what national commitment is and a plan to train an Army that will maintain a peace and reforms once we have left will not last long and from a historical perspective, the nation will eventually fall back into a it's tribal culture and all those efforts will be for nothing. The United States making a commitment to deploy forces to secure a nation that has a several thousand year history tribalism will eventually be one more in a number of nations that have gone to Afghanistan , stayed , changed the direction of the nation and once again the culture will remain the same. Having said all that, the US Military should expend the resources in a devestating manner knowing the above to flush out those responsible for all the acts of 9-11 and those that are part of the international terrorist community. The US Military should leave no doubt as to the outcome of such a mission. When we as a nation engage in the habit of nation building and use the US Military as the vehicle for that, we expend resources in both lives and national will with little results, so perhaps it's time the nation return to the original mission in Afghanistan and that is to hunt down , kill, and engage the people responsible for 9-11 as well as those that would plan such an attack in the future because the nation of Afghanistan is a pipe dream and those that think it is like Iraq are kidding themselves.

Many great points but the alkida bit is at best questionable. If going after alkida was a top priority we would have performed a regime change in the islamic theocracy most responsible for funding and justifying terrorism. Instead we remain close allies. Doesn't make sense.

While I understand your point, there is a little thing called stability that needs to be considered when speaking of going that direction. First of all the United States is ill-prepared to sustain itself in term of energy needs should that region no longer supply our energy needs and thats a sad fact. Each time Americans go to the gas pump in a small we some of that funding finds its way back to the hands of these oil barons that have little or no interest in our well being other than the money we provide and in a lot of cases the very weapons that are purchased and used against American forces are purchased indirectly because of that need. So if we wish to end this domination once and for all then take away that funding by being self sustaining in energy and we will find ourselves in little need of having to engage in conflicts in that part of the world and also have the ability to focus on those who would intend to harm this nation no matter where they are. Many Americans ask, when will we know if we have won, well there is your answer, we can win many battles in this war in the field without a doubt, and make no mistake this is a war. However, victory will come when our nation can look at these nations in the middle east without the need to beg for a handout in terms of energy. Then we can really direct our resources to peaceful solutions in that region rather than funding the very same people who set out to harm us.

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. Okay. But what does that mean exactly???

I was hoping to have a firm date of when our troops would be completely out of there. That really didn't happen and I guess I'm disappointed about that. I do trust him, but I can't help thinking of all of the casualties and injuries that will occur in the meantime. And wondering what will happen if conditions are not satisfactory in June of 2011. Then we'll stay longer?? It's depressing.

It means if the strategy worked or has substantially worked, they will come home. If it has failed or failed miserably, we'll go back to the starting line.

Well said?

He said NOTHING. 100 days of deliberating and he comes back with a strategy of send more troops and I'll bring them home in 18 months.

End the insanity... bring them all home now. Obama is a disgrace and we shouldn't loose one more soldier to his political gamesmanship.

You should learn English. Because it's obvious from you comments that you either don't understand the spoken word or you can't hear very well.

It's worth noting that the history of this region dating back thousands of years has usually ended with the same result. Nations and empires, from the British, to the Soviet Union, China, Arabs, and even the Persians have all tried to rules this land. Afghanistan has known in that time period all forms of Govt. Democracy, Marxist, Kings, Islamic, and so on and all of them eventually fade or are reduced into tribal conflict. This is all this region of the world has ever known, tribal conflict and tribal wars. Generation upon generation of young people have grown up not with a sense of national pride or even a sense of regional pride , but a fierce loyality to ones home and tribe. Each time they band together they do so for necessity. This can be seen when we invaded the nation and the Northern Alience banded together to rid themselves of the Taliban. It can also be seen now, as we train new so called Afghan military the sheer number of members that just disappear and return to their homes. Afghanistan is not Iraq and the nation is little sense of what national commitment is and a plan to train an Army that will maintain a peace and reforms once we have left will not last long and from a historical perspective, the nation will eventually fall back into a it's tribal culture and all those efforts will be for nothing. The United States making a commitment to deploy forces to secure a nation that has a several thousand year history tribalism will eventually be one more in a number of nations that have gone to Afghanistan , stayed , changed the direction of the nation and once again the culture will remain the same. Having said all that, the US Military should expend the resources in a devestating manner knowing the above to flush out those responsible for all the acts of 9-11 and those that are part of the international terrorist community. The US Military should leave no doubt as to the outcome of such a mission. When we as a nation engage in the habit of nation building and use the US Military as the vehicle for that, we expend resources in both lives and national will with little results, so perhaps it's time the nation return to the original mission in Afghanistan and that is to hunt down , kill, and engage the people responsible for 9-11 as well as those that would plan such an attack in the future because the nation of Afghanistan is a pipe dream and those that think it is like Iraq are kidding themselves.

Many great points but the alkida bit is at best questionable. If going after alkida was a top priority we would have performed a regime change in the islamic theocracy most responsible for funding and justifying terrorism. Instead we remain close allies. Doesn't make sense.

While I understand your point, there is a little thing called stability that needs to be considered when speaking of going that direction. First of all the United States is ill-prepared to sustain itself in term of energy needs should that region no longer supply our energy needs and thats a sad fact. Each time Americans go to the gas pump in a small we some of that funding finds its way back to the hands of these oil barons that have little or no interest in our well being other than the money we provide and in a lot of cases the very weapons that are purchased and used against American forces are purchased indirectly because of that need. So if we wish to end this domination once and for all then take away that funding by being self sustaining in energy and we will find ourselves in little need of having to engage in conflicts in that part of the world and also have the ability to focus on those who would intend to harm this nation no matter where they are. Many Americans ask, when will we know if we have won, well there is your answer, we can win many battles in this war in the field without a doubt, and make no mistake this is a war. However, victory will come when our nation can look at these nations in the middle east without the need to beg for a handout in terms of energy. Then we can really direct our resources to peaceful solutions in that region rather than funding the very same people who set out to harm us.

If it was as simple as energy resources we could have severed ourselves off by now. It's all about the currency and that America is not owned by Americans. If Mecca was in another country we would have already done a regime change in SA, as I am sure you are well aware. But it is still a myth to claim we are energy dependent because that is not the main albatross around our neck. So basically we are enduring the birthing pains of trying to force the streamlining of currency that will keep the West out front but not by our economy, only our military. The only wall between us and a complete economic collapse is by occupying nations and keeping hot buttons pointed at the proper targets. However, if our economy slips past the point of being able to financially sustain our military then we are all super fucked. The illegal immigrants will be interviewing everyone else.

That is the reaction of many military! :cuckoo: Maybe the towelheads don't have any way of communicating with the outside world so they won't find out.

Makes perfect sense! People in afghanistan surely wouldn't notice Troops packing up and leaving:

"Hush now, nobody will notice we are leaving if we don't give a withdrawal date. That's the key. We can load up thousands of Troops and bring em back without anyone noticing."

Wooooooooooooosh.

Serious.

Overshare.

We did not ask you to tell us what it sounds like when your gynecologist does a fly by inspection. Is he still using the hydraulic platforms or has he upgraded to the hybrid model?

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. .

Yes, in warfare it is always a good idea to tell your enemy how long they have to just hunker down and randomly kill before you will leave.

Why not invite them over for a Christmas dinner too?

And we can ditch Christmas and call our new Holy day, Ramadan :clap2:

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. Okay. But what does that mean exactly???

I was hoping to have a firm date of when our troops would be completely out of there. That really didn't happen and I guess I'm disappointed about that. I do trust him, but I can't help thinking of all of the casualties and injuries that will occur in the meantime. And wondering what will happen if conditions are not satisfactory in June of 2011. Then we'll stay longer?? It's depressing.

It means if the strategy worked or has substantially worked, they will come home. If it has failed or failed miserably, we'll go back to the starting line.

I think we all just pray that it works so that we can bring the troops home.

IOW, he voted "present" again. :lol:

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. .

Yes, in warfare it is always a good idea to tell your enemy how long they have to just hunker down and randomly kill before you will leave.

Well, it's best if first you give your commanders 1/4 of the boots they request.

That is the BEST way to assure complete annihilation of Americans.

Thank God my boy is going to Iraq and not Afghanistan. That place is a death hole because our POTUS is an arrogant POS who doesn't give a shit.

Makes perfect sense! People in afghanistan surely wouldn't notice Troops packing up and leaving:

"Hush now, nobody will notice we are leaving if we don't give a withdrawal date. That's the key. We can load up thousands of Troops and bring em back without anyone noticing."

Wooooooooooooosh.

Serious.

Overshare.

We did not ask you to tell us what it sounds like when your gynecologist does a fly by inspection. Is he still using the hydraulic platforms or has he upgraded to the hybrid model?

Fuck off.

But Curve, OL'BO did say it was CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!!! Or did I miss something????

What he basically said was, I'm the CiC, if I want to underfund and undersupport a war effort I will. I also have little stomach for this war and will cut and run at my earliest opportunity. I just wanted you pawns to hear it from me directly.

What he basically said was, I'm the CiC, if I want to underfund and undersupport a war effort I will. I also have little stomach for this war and will cut and run at my earliest opportunity. I just wanted you pawns to hear it from me directly.

Please elaborate on the number of troops needed, how long they will stay and the most approprate military plan. Share what you learned at West Point and the War College that the rest of us don't know.

Please elaborate on the number of troops needed, how long they will stay and the most approprate military plan. Share what you learned at West Point and the War College that the rest of us don't know.

McCrystal made ALL of that clear to the President. Obama just didn't see how that fit his politics. West Point told the President he was full of it too. The reaction from the cadets spoke volumes.

McCrystal made ALL of that clear to the President. Obama just didn't see how that fit his politics. West Point told the President he was full of it too. The reaction from the cadets spoke volumes.

But I thought the cadets really seemed happy he was there. I'm really talking about after the speech. They were all smiling, shaking his hand, and taking pictures.

Well, it's best if first you give your commanders 1/4 of the boots they request.

That is the BEST way to assure complete annihilation of Americans.

Thank God my boy is going to Iraq and not Afghanistan. That place is a death hole because our POTUS is an arrogant POS who doesn't give a shit.

Thank you for your family's service - particularly during these very uncertain times.

But I thought the cadets really seemed happy he was there. I'm really talking about after the speech. They were all smiling, shaking his hand, and taking pictures.

They're told to.

My brother had lunch with Bush - they were told before he arrived how to 'behave'. However, he also said that - although he wouldn't vote for the guy - he would definitely have a beer with him. Whether he was a good POTUS or not, he is a personable man.

Forum List

Back