Well said, Mr. President!

NICOLAS SARKOZY, FRENCH PRESIDENT
It was a courageous, determined and lucid speech which gives new momentum to the international engagement and opens new prospects.

France expects clear commitments from the Afghan authorities in response to the exceptional commitment of the international community: in the areas of governance, social and economic development and the battle against drug trafficking.
Translation: Sorry Barry...we aren't sending any combat troops. We have too many disgruntled muslims and heroin addicts here in France...you're on your own.

JOHN KERRY, SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN
I believe that the president defined a narrower mission tonight, not an open-ended nation-building exercise. A key component of that mission is providing that the troops will only clear and hold in places where there is capacity to build and transfer beneath them

Can you say "Viet Nam" Kerry? I suppose you gave this advice to him....

and the turncoat chimes in with a moment of lucidity rarely seen in Washington!!!

ARLEN SPECTER, DEMOCRATIC PARTY SENATOR
I disagree with the president's two key assumptions: that we can transfer responsibility to Afghanistan after 18 months and that our Nato allies will make a significant contribution. It is unrealistic to expect the United States to be out in 18 months so there is really no exit strategy. This venture is not worth so many American lives or the billions it will add to our deficit.

Pre speech.
RAHM" Barry, come here"
Yo whaddup mae "
RAHM "Barry. The CEO of KBR,G.E. and Exxon need to have a little talk with you before your speech. Go in there"
AlCIAduh. "We made a few changes to your speech, boy.
I've sent a crew over to add a second gas line near Kennedy just in case you mess up."
" BTW you have a one on one basketball match with the prince tomorrow at 3 and the Pope would like to meet you for dinner. I'll send marine one over at 5 am.
No worries. We'll take care of EVERYTHING while your gone."

BHO " Yassa, it's all good ! I gossa gets ready fo da match.White men can't jump!"
" Hey bro ! Can I bum a smoke ?"

NAZI. "Sure Barry. OH ! BTW , Oprah called"

Once I got past the dry, non impressive, non inspiring tone of Obama last night, I tried to give his actual words some thought. His plans.

Some plans I really liked, others I didn't care for. Can they bring an improvement? Very possible, but, I fail to see it as anything remotely lasting, unless the Afghans themselves are more capable of banning together in short order than history shows. Even fractionally and regionally!

I didn't care much for the cheap politics he played throughout his speech, frankly that is about all we here from this White House and I was hoping that would be set aside last night for a seriously inspiring and strong address to the nation and the world.

I should have known better!

I saw and heard nothing last night from him which is going to deter or even leave enough concern in anyone's mind which might have them second guessing their current stance and plans. Be that in the theater or in Iran! He was very unimpressive.

I know the man is capable of more. I have seen it, we all have. So the question and concern I have is this, why no such passion for his own Nation, His own Troops and his own People? There was absolutely nothing! He was as flat and unemotional as anyone could have been.

If I was still of age to be called on, this would bother me! As I know others need to be able to look into my eyes, heart and soul and see my passion to win, so did I need that and so do our troops and citizens.

He acted like a man who was very unsure of what he was saying. A man in doubt.

Mike

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. Okay. But what does that mean exactly???

I was hoping to have a firm date of when our troops would be completely out of there. That really didn't happen and I guess I'm disappointed about that. I do trust him, but I can't help thinking of all of the casualties and injuries that will occur in the meantime. And wondering what will happen if conditions are not satisfactory in June of 2011. Then we'll stay longer?? It's depressing.

What he is saysing is Bush was right.
:clap2:

It seems that many people ignore the fact that this is not Obama's war to abort. NATO is driving the boat. Many countries have forces in Afghanistan. Is there need for a link to back this up?

Countries seem to have no problem withdrawing from these commitments. How long do you expect NATO would be in Afghanistan if we pulled out?

I appreciate the deliberate approach and the decision making process POTUS went through. But I still disagree with the results. I understand much better now what objectives remain and how we plan to meet those remaining objectives and that is a plus.

But I do not agree that the mandate to go to war in the wake of 9/11 included these objectives. The mandate of the American people (and the vast majority of the world) was to see justice done to those responsible for that attack and to those who aided or sheltered tthe responsible criminals.

I think the strategy that Obama has embraced has expanded that mission. We will never be able to create a world that has absolutely no hiding places for terrorists. But we can (imho) sucessfully punish terrorists and their supporters quickly and firmly to deter their crimes.

The extension of this strategy would logically dictate invansions and subsequent re-buildings in Iran, Libyia, Syria, Yemen, North Korea, and many other nations where terrorists have found hideouts.

I do appreciated POTUS's emphasis on Al Qaeda and the remaining work in Pakistan. As this where (imho) there is legimate work that still needs to be completed. But the plan he has outlined exceeds those legitimate objectives and I don't agree.

But if we are going to have our people in harms way - then I advocate giving them every possible advantage.

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. Okay. But what does that mean exactly???

I was hoping to have a firm date of when our troops would be completely out of there. That really didn't happen and I guess I'm disappointed about that. I do trust him, but I can't help thinking of all of the casualties and injuries that will occur in the meantime. And wondering what will happen if conditions are not satisfactory in June of 2011. Then we'll stay longer?? It's depressing.

Lord, that's balanced! Well done for not jumping on the 'yay for the POTUS', or the 'what an idiot' bandwagons!

Basically, he means that, if we can destroy AQ and build up the Afghan army, etc, then we can come home. But, if the conditions aren't right, then we stay. That is disappointing for lots of us for lots of reasons. I have two brothers who will - now - both be returning to Afghanistan in the very near future. I'd much rather they weren't going but that's what they choose to do.

We can't have a firm date - that was just never gonna happen unless Obama chose the 'cut and run' strategy favored by the hard left and a lot of libertarians. Much as we might want our troops home (and I doubt anyone wants that more than I do) we have got to finish this. Otherwise, we will have to go back in and deal with it agan - just like Iraq. We should have finished it properly in '91 - then there would have been no need for this war at all.

High five to you though for asking questions instead of automatically agreeing with him because you like the guy. Oh, one more thing..... never, ever trust any politician - even Obama. None of them are really on your side.

That's a parfait of propaganda driven by some of the worst soundbites to come out of pro war agenda. No need to go back if we finish it now? Have you not paid attention to the fact it has been publicly stated for over a decade the neocon agenda is to install permanent bases in I + A? How will you know when "alkida has been defeated?" When the government says it has?
In 91' the mission was to remove Iraq from Kuwait and I believe that is exactly what we accomplished so what was it we should have "finished?" Removing Saddam and install an Islamic Theocracy? We have that now and it's not a pretty picture. I guess it isn't realized the alkida excuse is a never ending justification for imperialism.

Telling me to fuck off and saying I'm a shitball retarded fuck string of piss and snot won't address anything I've said. All it will do is reinforce your inability to debate and support your claims.

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. .

Yes, in warfare it is always a good idea to tell your enemy how long they have to just hunker down and randomly kill before you will leave.

Why not invite them over for a Christmas dinner too?

That is the reaction of many military! :cuckoo: Maybe the towelheads don't have any way of communicating with the outside world so they won't find out.

Makes perfect sense! People in afghanistan surely wouldn't notice Troops packing up and leaving:

"Hush now, nobody will notice we are leaving if we don't give a withdrawal date. That's the key. We can load up thousands of Troops and bring em back without anyone noticing."

There were several impressive aspects such as how well his oratory skills have improved and the clearly wise choice to be tutored in a warm climate. The tan has almost taken years off his face and even though the make up artists did their best, not much could be done about the ears.

ya...all image and NO SUBSTANCE...that's the important thing .... right?

It doesn't look like you read the whole post.

What he is saysing is Bush was right.
:clap2:

It seems that many people ignore the fact that this is not Obama's war to abort. NATO is driving the boat. Many countries have forces in Afghanistan. Is there need for a link to back this up?

And who drives NATO? They are just tools of US foreign policy.

Meet the new boss...Same as the old boss...

Yes, in warfare it is always a good idea to tell your enemy how long they have to just hunker down and randomly kill before you will leave.

Why not invite them over for a Christmas dinner too?

That is the reaction of many military! :cuckoo: Maybe the towelheads don't have any way of communicating with the outside world so they won't find out.

Makes perfect sense! People in afghanistan surely wouldn't notice Troops packing up and leaving:

"Hush now, nobody will notice we are leaving if we don't give a withdrawal date. That's the key. We can load up thousands of Troops and bring em back without anyone noticing."

Cute ...........

But how about projecting too much to our enemies, simply to politically appease at home!

Ever consider that?

Mike

Well said!

Thank you for this incisive, accurate and factual analysis of the President's speech WhineCrapper. You must be really proud of yourself.

*Makes note to self: Remember to thank God that I was not born an idiot. Remember to thank parents for decent education. Remember to thank teachers for teaching me how to think instead of what to think.*

Cute ...........

But how about projecting too much to our enemies, simply to politically appease at home!

Ever consider that?

Mike

We are in their fucking country. Can you identify our "enemies" or will you simply repeat the rhetoric? If a foreign nation invaded and occupied the US would you simply pack up and leave? Would you fight back? Would you just jump through the hoops they lay out?

The occupations are designed to justify our permanent military bases. This is really quite simple. Our presence is one of the key issues driving the violence so as long as we are there the fighting will not stop but the pro war crowd says we can't leave until the "enemy" has been defeated. As long as ANYONE fights our occupations they will get labeled as "alkida" just like the bush admin did with Iraq by labeling a group of iraqis as "Alkida in Iraq." Of course too many pro war people didn't take the time to actually ask what that meant or demanded evidence. Like good little sheep they sang in harmony like trained puppets. "Alkida!" That group of iraqis had absolutely nothing to do with bin laden or alkida.

Well, he gave his usual eloquent speech. Tried to please the left with his exit strategy. Think he just pissed them off though as he will be sending troops. Hmmmmmm Whole speech was pretty political. I'm so glad none of my family is in the military now. God, what a Commander in Chief. Looked like the West Point grads were all sleeping throught the whole thing. Wish I had too.

Well, he gave his usual eloquent speech. Tried to please the left with his exit strategy. Think he just pissed them off though as he will be sending troops. Hmmmmmm Whole speech was pretty political. I'm so glad none of my family is in the military now. God, what a Commander in Chief. Looked like the West Point grads were all sleeping throught the whole thing. Wish I had too.

Most americans have slept through the last 8 years so snoozing through another horseshit shoveling session wouldn't matter.

Obama can't even call them Islamists or Terrorists. Why can't Democrats treat Terrorists like they treat Rush Limbaugh?

Forum List

Back