Well said, Mr. President!

It's worth noting that the history of this region dating back thousands of years has usually ended with the same result. Nations and empires, from the British, to the Soviet Union, China, Arabs, and even the Persians have all tried to rules this land. Afghanistan has known in that time period all forms of Govt. Democracy, Marxist, Kings, Islamic, and so on and all of them eventually fade or are reduced into tribal conflict. This is all this region of the world has ever known, tribal conflict and tribal wars. Generation upon generation of young people have grown up not with a sense of national pride or even a sense of regional pride , but a fierce loyality to ones home and tribe. Each time they band together they do so for necessity. This can be seen when we invaded the nation and the Northern Alience banded together to rid themselves of the Taliban. It can also be seen now, as we train new so called Afghan military the sheer number of members that just disappear and return to their homes. Afghanistan is not Iraq and the nation is little sense of what national commitment is and a plan to train an Army that will maintain a peace and reforms once we have left will not last long and from a historical perspective, the nation will eventually fall back into a it's tribal culture and all those efforts will be for nothing. The United States making a commitment to deploy forces to secure a nation that has a several thousand year history tribalism will eventually be one more in a number of nations that have gone to Afghanistan , stayed , changed the direction of the nation and once again the culture will remain the same. Having said all that, the US Military should expend the resources in a devestating manner knowing the above to flush out those responsible for all the acts of 9-11 and those that are part of the international terrorist community. The US Military should leave no doubt as to the outcome of such a mission. When we as a nation engage in the habit of nation building and use the US Military as the vehicle for that, we expend resources in both lives and national will with little results, so perhaps it's time the nation return to the original mission in Afghanistan and that is to hunt down , kill, and engage the people responsible for 9-11 as well as those that would plan such an attack in the future because the nation of Afghanistan is a pipe dream and those that think it is like Iraq are kidding themselves.

The prez said that this strategy is not an open-ended commitment, but then said that the withdrawal process, beginning in the summer of 2011, will be conditions-based. Okay. But what does that mean exactly???

I was hoping to have a firm date of when our troops would be completely out of there. That really didn't happen and I guess I'm disappointed about that. I do trust him, but I can't help thinking of all of the casualties and injuries that will occur in the meantime. And wondering what will happen if conditions are not satisfactory in June of 2011. Then we'll stay longer?? It's depressing.

Lord, that's balanced! Well done for not jumping on the 'yay for the POTUS', or the 'what an idiot' bandwagons!

Basically, he means that, if we can destroy AQ and build up the Afghan army, etc, then we can come home. But, if the conditions aren't right, then we stay. That is disappointing for lots of us for lots of reasons. I have two brothers who will - now - both be returning to Afghanistan in the very near future. I'd much rather they weren't going but that's what they choose to do.

We can't have a firm date - that was just never gonna happen unless Obama chose the 'cut and run' strategy favored by the hard left and a lot of libertarians. Much as we might want our troops home (and I doubt anyone wants that more than I do) we have got to finish this. Otherwise, we will have to go back in and deal with it agan - just like Iraq. We should have finished it properly in '91 - then there would have been no need for this war at all.

High five to you though for asking questions instead of automatically agreeing with him because you like the guy. Oh, one more thing..... never, ever trust any politician - even Obama. None of them are really on your side.

That's a parfait of propaganda driven by some of the worst soundbites to come out of pro war agenda. No need to go back if we finish it now? Have you not paid attention to the fact it has been publicly stated for over a decade the neocon agenda is to install permanent bases in I + A? How will you know when "alkida has been defeated?" When the government says it has?
In 91' the mission was to remove Iraq from Kuwait and I believe that is exactly what we accomplished so what was it we should have "finished?" Removing Saddam and install an Islamic Theocracy? We have that now and it's not a pretty picture. I guess it isn't realized the alkida excuse is a never ending justification for imperialism.

Telling me to fuck off and saying I'm a shitball retarded fuck string of piss and snot won't address anything I've said. All it will do is reinforce your inability to debate and support your claims.

I need not address anything you've said because you're so fucking stupid that you label me 'pro war' which tells me everything I need to know.... that you are, in fact, a deluded, offensive, stupid little person.

Fuck off.

Lord, that's balanced! Well done for not jumping on the 'yay for the POTUS', or the 'what an idiot' bandwagons!

Basically, he means that, if we can destroy AQ and build up the Afghan army, etc, then we can come home. But, if the conditions aren't right, then we stay. That is disappointing for lots of us for lots of reasons. I have two brothers who will - now - both be returning to Afghanistan in the very near future. I'd much rather they weren't going but that's what they choose to do.

We can't have a firm date - that was just never gonna happen unless Obama chose the 'cut and run' strategy favored by the hard left and a lot of libertarians. Much as we might want our troops home (and I doubt anyone wants that more than I do) we have got to finish this. Otherwise, we will have to go back in and deal with it agan - just like Iraq. We should have finished it properly in '91 - then there would have been no need for this war at all.

High five to you though for asking questions instead of automatically agreeing with him because you like the guy. Oh, one more thing..... never, ever trust any politician - even Obama. None of them are really on your side.

That's a parfait of propaganda driven by some of the worst soundbites to come out of pro war agenda. No need to go back if we finish it now? Have you not paid attention to the fact it has been publicly stated for over a decade the neocon agenda is to install permanent bases in I + A? How will you know when "alkida has been defeated?" When the government says it has?
In 91' the mission was to remove Iraq from Kuwait and I believe that is exactly what we accomplished so what was it we should have "finished?" Removing Saddam and install an Islamic Theocracy? We have that now and it's not a pretty picture. I guess it isn't realized the alkida excuse is a never ending justification for imperialism.

Telling me to fuck off and saying I'm a shitball retarded fuck string of piss and snot won't address anything I've said. All it will do is reinforce your inability to debate and support your claims.

I need not address anything you've said because you're so fucking stupid that you label me 'pro war' which tells me everything I need to know.... that you are, in fact, a deluded, offensive, stupid little person.

Fuck off.

Damn! Forgot to say I'm deluded and offensive. Thank you so much for the sweet reminder. Though, since I am so stupid could you explain how someone who is not pro war supports the occupations and criticizes pulling out as "cutting and running?" The whole community is grateful you take the time to help out someone as pathetic as I am. Truly, thank you.

It's worth noting that the history of this region dating back thousands of years has usually ended with the same result. Nations and empires, from the British, to the Soviet Union, China, Arabs, and even the Persians have all tried to rules this land. Afghanistan has known in that time period all forms of Govt. Democracy, Marxist, Kings, Islamic, and so on and all of them eventually fade or are reduced into tribal conflict. This is all this region of the world has ever known, tribal conflict and tribal wars. Generation upon generation of young people have grown up not with a sense of national pride or even a sense of regional pride , but a fierce loyality to ones home and tribe. Each time they band together they do so for necessity. This can be seen when we invaded the nation and the Northern Alience banded together to rid themselves of the Taliban. It can also be seen now, as we train new so called Afghan military the sheer number of members that just disappear and return to their homes. Afghanistan is not Iraq and the nation is little sense of what national commitment is and a plan to train an Army that will maintain a peace and reforms once we have left will not last long and from a historical perspective, the nation will eventually fall back into a it's tribal culture and all those efforts will be for nothing. The United States making a commitment to deploy forces to secure a nation that has a several thousand year history tribalism will eventually be one more in a number of nations that have gone to Afghanistan , stayed , changed the direction of the nation and once again the culture will remain the same. Having said all that, the US Military should expend the resources in a devestating manner knowing the above to flush out those responsible for all the acts of 9-11 and those that are part of the international terrorist community. The US Military should leave no doubt as to the outcome of such a mission. When we as a nation engage in the habit of nation building and use the US Military as the vehicle for that, we expend resources in both lives and national will with little results, so perhaps it's time the nation return to the original mission in Afghanistan and that is to hunt down , kill, and engage the people responsible for 9-11 as well as those that would plan such an attack in the future because the nation of Afghanistan is a pipe dream and those that think it is like Iraq are kidding themselves.

Many great points but the alkida bit is at best questionable. If going after alkida was a top priority we would have performed a regime change in the islamic theocracy most responsible for funding and justifying terrorism. Instead we remain close allies. Doesn't make sense.

Wry is a former law enforcement government worker, slave to all things Democrat like most government workers. This is why he gets upset if anyone points out Obama is just Bush on steroids.

Oh wait, it was VaYank, the Obama nut gulper who agrees with me on Afghanistan policy supposedly............

Hahahaha! LIAR!

Well said?

He said NOTHING. 100 days of deliberating and he comes back with a strategy of send more troops and I'll bring them home in 18 months.

End the insanity... bring them all home now. Obama is a disgrace and we shouldn't loose one more soldier to his political gamesmanship.

And BTW... the Cadets looked as though they had little use for or confidence in the man/child kown as Obama.

End the insanity. Bring the troops home now.

Yes, in warfare it is always a good idea to tell your enemy how long they have to just hunker down and randomly kill before you will leave.

Why not invite them over for a Christmas dinner too?

That is the reaction of many military! :cuckoo: Maybe the towelheads don't have any way of communicating with the outside world so they won't find out.

Makes perfect sense! People in afghanistan surely wouldn't notice Troops packing up and leaving:

"Hush now, nobody will notice we are leaving if we don't give a withdrawal date. That's the key. We can load up thousands of Troops and bring em back without anyone noticing."

Wooooooooooooosh.

Forum List

Back