Welcome to Windows 8

I'm still using XP and don't want to change
Will only use the newer versions of Windoze for as long as it takes to downland Ubuntu, and as a backup for things like some games and downloading my Go Pro videos.

My business network and management software doesn't support Linux yet

:eusa_eh:
There isn't a network on the planet that Linux doesn't work well with.
Sounds like your management software is either old...if not...why in the heck did your company buy one that isn't browser based?

Will only use the newer versions of Windoze for as long as it takes to downland Ubuntu, and as a backup for things like some games and downloading my Go Pro videos.

:eusa_eh:
There isn't a network on the planet that Linux doesn't work well with.
Sounds like your management software is either old...if not...why in the heck did your company buy one that isn't browser based?

It's business specific and one of the best available for our type of business and it doesn't support linux.

And you're right it's not the networking it's the management software.

Hmm....I just realized a significant threat.
Since Win8 has native access to everything you do...that means if you are hacked or compromised - they have that same access - all at once.

With the way computing is going that's an obvious potential danger no matter which system one is using.

Not so sure about that....is it easy to hack into someones iPad? I really don't know. Or a Kindle Fire...or whatever. I would think it would not be.
I especially took note of how the email client has access to all the other apps without having to log in to them. I would think people would have learned how that can be a really bad thing from Outlook Express. Not trying to be nonobjective - since my M$ dislike is obvious to anyone - but this IS Windows. And Microsoft has a looong history of placing security a far distant 2nd to ease of use.

If someone wrote it (operating systems, security systems, etc) then sooner or later someone can hack it.

I'm still using XP and don't want to change

My condolences.

I'm still waiting for Linux to come up with some software to play and edit GO Pro and play a few computer games that I like..After such a time, I may never use Windoze again.

Last edited:
Since Win8 has native access to everything you do...that means if you are hacked or compromised - they have that same access - all at once.

Your smartphone and Macs have that problem already now, so... At least with Windows you have protection programs to avoid it.

Your smartphone and Macs have that problem already now, so... At least with Windows you have protection programs to avoid it.

Yes, Microsoft finally got in the game and provided security that is better than before. I have heard good reports about Win7 security so I would assume Win8 carries the same tools.
Having said that - the best security is multiple layers and limited access. I don't think it is a good thing to take someones desktop computer and give applications wide-open access to all of the others. Like I said before - MS should have learned this from Outlook Express. They had the same idea with it - that your email client could self-launch mediaplayer/browser/office products etc. and that ended up blowing up office networks everywhere.
I don't know...I see a weakness here.

This is interesting.
This is truly unlike Microsoft to take chances on their core business. This is...what Apple does....not Microsoft.
No other business on earth comes close to the success of Microsoft at selling repackaged core products. Not even close.
They are taking a big risk...something Microsoft is not good at. Their ability to project consumer wants and needs is legendary...as in...awful.
We'll see.

They recognize much of the market is moving to small form factor, portable computing while also acknowledging large form factor (desktop) computing isn't going away anytime soon. It may be considered risky by some but the move into the next century has already begun and those who do not adapt will be left behind.
The good news for consumers is Microsoft is no longer in a position to dictate only what they offer as a product if they want to stay competitive, they are finally realizing the need to adapt to consumer demands and current market trends.

Actually... I think Microsoft is ahead of the curve with Windows 8 and quite a few other technologies. You seen the new touch screen they have invented? 1ms lag time, instead of the usual 50 to 100ms you got on iPads and other touch screens today.

Not only will they have a system that is brilliant for tablets.. hey its got Word! .. but a desktop too.. and people dont have to learn two OS and methods of doing things..

But more importantly... Windows 8 is designed for touch as they say... but it is also designed for Kinect... and THAT can very well be the future especially in business... hell even in the home.

I could really imagine using Windows 8 with a motion sensor and voice on a desktop. Think of how revolutionary it can be in operating rooms, or other areas where the keyboard and touch are no no or a problem? I know they are testing such systems with the Kinect already in some hospitals and other businesses.

And like it or not Windows aint going away any time soon.. Win 7 or Win 8 or 9 will still be dominating for years to come... simply because that is what people are use too and that is where the programs/games are.

Yes, Microsoft finally got in the game and provided security that is better than before. I have heard good reports about Win7 security so I would assume Win8 carries the same tools.
Having said that - the best security is multiple layers and limited access. I don't think it is a good thing to take someones desktop computer and give applications wide-open access to all of the others. Like I said before - MS should have learned this from Outlook Express. They had the same idea with it - that your email client could self-launch mediaplayer/browser/office products etc. and that ended up blowing up office networks everywhere.
I don't know...I see a weakness here.

Its the usual fighting between user-ability and security. Linux is secure because it limits you time and time again in doing simple things... plus no hacker would want to hack something no one uses.

Windows is popular because it is easy to use.. just as MacOS and iOS.. and that means it is vulnerable not only because hackers want to target it, but also that easy of use and connect-ability leaves security holes.

Look at Apples products.. full of security holes that they are struggling to plug now that it suddenly became more popular and hackers are now targeting Mac and iOS users. It is only a few weeks ago Google and others were caught exploiting a 2+ year old know vulnerability in Safari.. That is why Apple is now going to Sandbox everything in their future OS versions.. or so they claim.. their solution for security... it will kill the user-ability of the OS's but it will become more secure... frankly a pathetic solution instead of fixing their holes.

That is why I say Windows may be the main target of hackers, but Windows users are also well informed relatively to others about the security risks and can protect themselves..

But in the end.. the biggest security risk is the person behind the keyboard, not the OS it self.

This is interesting.
This is truly unlike Microsoft to take chances on their core business. This is...what Apple does....not Microsoft.
No other business on earth comes close to the success of Microsoft at selling repackaged core products. Not even close.
They are taking a big risk...something Microsoft is not good at. Their ability to project consumer wants and needs is legendary...as in...awful.
We'll see.

They recognize much of the market is moving to small form factor, portable computing while also acknowledging large form factor (desktop) computing isn't going away anytime soon. It may be considered risky by some but the move into the next century has already begun and those who do not adapt will be left behind.
The good news for consumers is Microsoft is no longer in a position to dictate only what they offer as a product if they want to stay competitive, they are finally realizing the need to adapt to consumer demands and current market trends.

Actually... I think Microsoft is ahead of the curve with Windows 8 and quite a few other technologies. You seen the new touch screen they have invented? 1ms lag time, instead of the usual 50 to 100ms you got on iPads and other touch screens today.

Not only will they have a system that is brilliant for tablets.. hey its got Word! .. but a desktop too.. and people dont have to learn two OS and methods of doing things..

But more importantly... Windows 8 is designed for touch as they say... but it is also designed for Kinect... and THAT can very well be the future especially in business... hell even in the home.

I could really imagine using Windows 8 with a motion sensor and voice on a desktop. Think of how revolutionary it can be in operating rooms, or other areas where the keyboard and touch are no no or a problem? I know they are testing such systems with the Kinect already in some hospitals and other businesses.

And like it or not Windows aint going away any time soon.. Win 7 or Win 8 or 9 will still be dominating for years to come... simply because that is what people are use too and that is where the programs/games are.

Well - of course their are plenty of other folks that will tell you rather than ahead of the curve - they are finally catching up.
I cant sit here and say that the Linux gui is better than Win7...it is more configurable, and better laid out - at least in my opinion - but the Win 7 interface is many levels better than Win95 round 4 (also known as XP)
All I am saying is Microsoft has a terrible record when it comes to innovation...abysmal record. It will take some convincing for me to suddenly think everything in their culture and business model has finally changed from an archaic IBM-like top down approach to an innovative self empowered think tank like other companies known for their innovative products.

Well - of course their are plenty of other folks that will tell you rather than ahead of the curve - they are finally catching up.

In some areas sure, but in many others they are ahead of the curve.

I cant sit here and say that the Linux gui is better than Win7...it is more configurable, and better laid out - at least in my opinion - but the Win 7 interface is many levels better than Win95 round 4 (also known as XP)

I would wager that most people would disagree with you on this point including me.

All I am saying is Microsoft has a terrible record when it comes to innovation...abysmal record.

Well yes the last decade they have been very quite when it comes to "innovation".. a word used for so many things in the post iPhone age. But there has been Kinect.. that is innovation.

It will take some convincing for me to suddenly think everything in their culture and business model has finally changed from an archaic IBM-like top down approach to an innovative self empowered think tank like other companies known for their innovative products.

Well from all accounts it has. Such changes take time and the last decade or so since Gates left the top, the company has changed. For example.. XBOX, most people dont even know it is Microsoft behind it.. They have their R&D division making everything from massive flat panel tables to smart houses and so on.

Just installed the Consumer Preview 32 bit version on my old Del 4550 and I'm amazed at how fast it is on that old machine and I find I like the new Metro interface. I have to be careful though to click in the lower corner when moving back to it from the desktop because I keep clicking IE in the task bar.
It moved all my apps, setting and files that I had on Win7 to the new Win8 except Avast, had to uninstall it during installation. It also immediately recognized my home network and automatically joined it.
You have the option of logging in with you Windows Live account or logging in as local.
With the new Metro interface you can right click a blank area on the screen, a bar will pop up from the bottom allowing you to select all applications on your computer. The layout switches from live tile to icons with app names, one clicking the bottom left corner of the screen brings you back to the live tile layout.

Right now I am using Windows 7. It has great features of using it. It is one of the most and famous operating system which I have ever used and now I am waiting for Windows 8 for making my work experience extra ordinary.

my old PC with XP home did its titanic act last week. so Now i have a new one with 7. i did an upgrade. bigger HD and SDRAM and graphics. so far I really like 7. smooth and seamless. explorer 9

Overview of a whole new look for Windows. The main change is a whole new start screen and touchscreen functionality.
Don't worry, you can click or touch the "live tile" that will bring up the old familiar interface.

I loaded the consumer preview on a machine.

I must say that I really hate it.

Aero is the most functional and best designed graphical interface I've ever seen. Pasting the XBox Live interface over it does absolutely nothing to improve the experience or make use more effective.

What was Ballmer thinking?

Forum List

Back