Welcome to Windows 8

Remember, Microsoft created the smart phone, iPaq was out 5 years before iPhone. Microsoft created the tablet. Toshiba and HP had tablets out in 1992. Yet to hear the press, Apple invented these. So the fact that Microsoft is the innovator means little, unless they can lock up the market before the Apple imitators clone their ideas and run a marketing blitz?

Microsoft failed the smart phone market.
Microsoft failed the tablet market, twice.
Microsoft failed portable music devices.
Microsoft failed with 3 operating systems in the past that cost a lot of folks a lot of money.
(Windows NT workstation, Windows ME, Windows Vista)
Microsoft NT Servers were absolute sh*t compared to the dependability and cost of Sun, RedHat, HPUX etc. etc. etc.

Microsoft fails more than it succeeds, been that way since the beginning. It is just that their few successes are fantastically so. The only reason Microsoft dominates the PC market is because that is what is already on PC's from the manufacturer, thus Windows 8 will have a lot of sales at least at the beginning - however, like Vista, PC manufacturers may abandon 8 and continue to sell Windows 7 - I say that is highly likely.

Last edited:
Don't own a single Apple device.

:thup:

Apple is evil.

My home computer and my laptop is zaReason - made in California.

No, it's assembled in California. It uses an AMD processor made in Singapore or China. Intel is made in China.

Why don't you build your own?

My wife's laptop is a Dell, like Apple, is indeed made by Foxconn.

About 40% of Dell machines use FoxCon motherboards.

You are looking at the wrong gift horse, I buy American as much as I possibly can - have for years.

In electronics, it simply isn't possible. There is not a single motherboard made in the USA. Asus and Gigabyte are mostly made in Taiwan, so I lean toward them, but even Asus uses Chinese outsourcing.

This could be a big boost to Linux.
Linux will now be more familiar to your average user than Windows 8.
I say it now and again, once people see and use Linux - they overwhelmingly don't go back to Windows unless they play games.

Linux in the form of Android is popular, on the desktop it's unknown and will remain so. I like to play with Linux (Ubuntu,) but if I have a presentation to make, need to create flow chart, or design an application, it's going to be Windows. Visual Studio is the most effective development system in history. Toys like Dia are an insult to those seeking to diagram complex systems, sorry Visio is the only professional tool. The truth is, and Linux fans know it, Windows is a better operating system with far better software. Yes, Windows is popular and keeps you from being elite, but facts are facts.

Microsoft failed the smart phone market.
Microsoft failed the tablet market, twice.

Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it?

There was nothing technically superior about the iPhone, but Apple knew how to market it. Microsoft failed because they tried to scale down desktop apps which ran like shit on the iPaq.

Microsoft failed portable music devices.

Microsoft was very late to that game. Perhaps you're thinking Creative? Creative "invented" MP3 (yes, it was consortium, but Creative was the brains and funds) but Apple took their technology and aggressively marketed it.

Microsoft failed with 3 operating systems in the past that cost a lot of folks a lot of money.
(Windows NT workstation, Windows ME, Windows Vista)

If only Linux could "fail" like any of those, you'd be ecstatic.

Microsoft NT Servers were absolute sh*t compared to the dependability and cost of Sun, RedHat, HPUX etc. etc. etc.

ROFL

Such bullshit you posit.

Microsoft fails more than it succeeds, been that way since the beginning. It is just that their few successes are fantastically so. The only reason Microsoft dominates the PC market is because that is what is already on PC's from the manufacturer, thus Windows 8 will have a lot of sales at least at the beginning - however, like Vista, PC manufacturers may abandon 8 and continue to sell Windows 7 - I say that is highly likely.

What you post, sadly has little value due to your absurd bias.

I'm not a fan of Windows 8, read back and you'll see that I detest Metro. Still, to fail and recognize the potential of unifying the mobility and desktop space would be as stupid as claiming the highest grossing Server OS (Windows) is a "failure." 47.9 cents of every dollar spent on a server OS goes to Microsoft. 40 cents goes to Lunux distros, to be split between a hundred different companies.

8 Might fail, or it might transform the market the way the move to a GUI did.

Loving Windows 8 so far. Yes there are small glitches, but there is nothing that is OS breaking and is more than often related to a program and not the OS it self. It is fast as hell.. even faster than Windows 7 and stable as well. My machine actually starts faster than Windows 7 now... and yes I have a SATA 3 SSD.

Loving Windows 8 so far. Yes there are small glitches, but there is nothing that is OS breaking and is more than often related to a program and not the OS it self. It is fast as hell.. even faster than Windows 7 and stable as well. My machine actually starts faster than Windows 7 now... and yes I have a SATA 3 SSD.

A fast start from sleep really isn't a big achievement. Windows 8 from a cold start (unplug the machine) is about the same as 7. What M$ did was cheat, and make the default "shut down" simply sleep mode. Nothing wrong with sleep, that what I do with my Windows 7 machines, but it isn't a startup.

I say it now and again, once people see and use Linux - they overwhelmingly don't go back to Windows unless they play games.

Unless they need to run software, you know, since 98% of software is written for Windows, and 1.5% is written for Mac.

Hey, if browsing pron on the interwebz is all you do, Linux is the right OS for you...

Well it has been a little while....and Win8 hasn't exactly hit the fandango.
Touchscreen for a desktop?...really? Who sits that close to their monitor..and how is it more comfortable to have your entire arm swinging in air than resting on the desk using a mouse?
IS Win 8 an improvement?...maybe, is it going to help the eventual death of the Desktop PC?
No.
I honestly don't know if I will buy another desktop PC at home when this one dies.
Now that laptops have HDMI output and home wireless is now almost as fast as hardwired cables...who needs one?

Touchscreen for a desktop?...really? Who sits that close to their monitor..and how is it more comfortable to have your entire arm swinging in air than resting on the desk using a mouse?
IS Win 8 an improvement?...maybe, is it going to help the eventual death of the Desktop PC?
No.
I honestly don't know if I will buy another desktop PC at home when this one dies.
Now that laptops have HDMI output and home wireless is now almost as fast as hardwired cables...who needs one?

I am excited about Windows 8 and am buying an All-In-one touch smart. I enjoy standing and moving around when I am in a creative mood. Also it will work well with the Microsoft Surface Pro I will get. They seem to balance off each other.

The Windows 8 preview video I just watched (thanks) turned me completely off. What I saw is an exercise in pointlessly exotic and redundant fetishism. It seems the geeks at Microsoft have been on a prolonged acid trip.

Who really needs such a time-and-space-wasting kaleidoscopic prelude to a spreadsheet, database, email box, word-processor, or on-line forum? And can it be the trend to touching in place of just clicking as per the usual and perfectly adequate means of moving around in these useful gadgets is a subtly evolving and distinct expression of physical love for what is for many an adored, binary-based substitute for flesh?

I was quite content with Windows 98 but I tolerated the wholly unnecessary transition to XP when I could no longer resist the relentless pressures of obsolescence, and I hoped Bill Gates would let me alone for at least another ten years. But the Microsoft Mafia made Windows 7 the next offer I couldn't refuse -- and before I've gotten fully adjusted to its gratuitously extraneous quirks here comes the next stage in what I perceive to be the inevitable generation of electronic eroticism.

There really should be a place where those of us with simple, ordinary needs could be left alone with methods which are familiar and quite sufficient. But Gates is relentless.

No.

I am excited about Windows 8 and am buying an All-In-one touch smart. I enjoy standing and moving around when I am in a creative mood. Also it will work well with the Microsoft Surface Pro I will get. They seem to balance off each other.

:lol::lol:

The Windows 8 preview video I just watched (thanks) turned me completely off. What I saw is an exercise in pointlessly exotic and redundant fetishism. It seems the geeks at Microsoft have been on a prolonged acid trip.

Who really needs such a time-and-space-wasting kaleidoscopic prelude to a spreadsheet, database, email box, word-processor, or on-line forum? And can it be the trend to touching in place of just clicking as per the usual and perfectly adequate means of moving around in these useful gadgets is a subtly evolving and distinct expression of physical love for what is for many an adored, binary-based substitute for flesh?

I was quite content with Windows 98 but I tolerated the wholly unnecessary transition to XP when I could no longer resist the relentless pressures of obsolescence, and I hoped Bill Gates would let me alone for at least another ten years. But the Microsoft Mafia made Windows 7 the next offer I couldn't refuse -- and before I've gotten fully adjusted to its gratuitously extraneous quirks here comes the next stage in what I perceive to be the inevitable generation of electronic eroticism.

There really should be a place where those of us with simple, ordinary needs could be left alone with methods which are familiar and quite sufficient. But Gates is relentless.

There is - it is called Linux Mint.
Linux users believe the operating system should NOT be the focus of computing - rather the focus should be the applications you want to use - the operating sytem should be there simply as an organized means to power them up.
Kaleidoscope...that is an excellent word to describe Win8.

Be glad you didnt have the fun of widows vista....
I managed to evade that one by clinging to 98 Second Edition by my fingertips. But in the end, Microsoft got me.

Bill Gates should be the first billionaire to go to the guillotine when the revolution comes.

There is - it is called Linux Mint.
While I have been using computers for quite a long time I am the archetypal un-geek. I am with computers as I am with cars in that I'm as good a driver as any but under the hood I am absolutely dumb and blind. I know the difference between the engine and the radiator, but that's it. And I've heard using Linux calls for a skill level beyond that of clicking one's way through the various applications, which excludes me.

Forum List

Back