Weird Weather

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
pacifico_image003-400x267.jpg

Forecasts are for far fewer hurricanes in the Atlantic this year. But,they're saying there will be a lot more cyclones in the eastern Pacific. The first one is already forming. The question is, where will they go? Most travel north and west, but some make landfall in Mexico. How much moisture will they bring to the southwest USA?

Read the story @ Offshore tropical storm could become hurricane

lobsters-400x269.jpg

Millions of lobsters on Tijuana beaches @ Millions of lobsters appear on Tijuana beaches

Experts predict a below-average hurricane season @ Experts predict a below-average hurricane season Las Vegas Review-Journal

NO surprise..

Lower salinity and warmth are not present in the Atlantic ocean thus there is insufficient heat to drive and form storms.

The last of the heated near surface water is directly below the forming storm in the Pacific and should pretty much decimate the ocean heat and any El Nino that might have been occurring. The higher salinity in the Pacific and slightly warmer temps will drive more storms.
5.gif

AS for this being "weird", just look back at the 1960's and 70's.. This is normal cyclical climate behavior.

Last edited:
So the Hiatus is just a cycle and we'll soon be back to catastrophic warming. Got it.

Salinity having any effect on the development of hurricanes is a rare circumstance. The current lack of storms there is not due to any salinity effect. Rather the primary cause is dry air coming out of Africa.

Last edited:
So the Hiatus is just a cycle and we'll soon be back to catastrophic warming. Got it.

Salinity having any effect on the development of hurricanes is a rare circumstance. The current lack of storms there is not due to any salinity effect.

You missed the natural variation is on the down hill side and will be for the next thirty or so years... The hiatus is simply the down side of natural variation and has nothing to do with AGW..

From rainy Texas to scorching India this has been a month of strange weather around the world Fox News

WASHINGTON – Even for a world getting used to wild weather, May seems stuck on strange.

Torrential downpours in Texas that have whiplashed the region from drought to flooding. A heat wave that has killed more than 1,800 people in India. Record 91-degree readings in Alaska, of all places. A pair of top-of-the-scale typhoons in the Northwest Pacific. And a drought taking hold in the East.

"Mother Nature keeps throwing us crazy stuff," Rutgers University climate scientist Jennifer Francis says. "It's just been one thing after another."

Jerry Meehl, an extreme-weather expert at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, points out that May is usually a pretty extreme month, with lots of tornadoes and downpours. Even so, he says, this has been "kind of unusually intense."

The word "stuck" provides one possible explanation.

Francis, Meehl and some other meteorologists say the jet stream is in a rut, not moving nasty weather along. The high-speed, constantly shifting river of air 30,000 feet above Earth normally guides storms around the globe, but sometimes splits and comes back together somewhere else.

A stuck jet stream, with a bit of a split, explains the extremes in Texas, India, Alaska and the U.S. East, but not the typhoons, Francis says.

Other possible factors contributing to May's wild weather: the periodic warming of the central Pacific known as El Nino, climate change and natural variability, scientists say.

Those damned liberals at Fox, will they never shut up?

From rainy Texas to scorching India this has been a month of strange weather around the world Fox News

WASHINGTON – Even for a world getting used to wild weather, May seems stuck on strange.

Torrential downpours in Texas that have whiplashed the region from drought to flooding. A heat wave that has killed more than 1,800 people in India. Record 91-degree readings in Alaska, of all places. A pair of top-of-the-scale typhoons in the Northwest Pacific. And a drought taking hold in the East.

"Mother Nature keeps throwing us crazy stuff," Rutgers University climate scientist Jennifer Francis says. "It's just been one thing after another."

Jerry Meehl, an extreme-weather expert at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, points out that May is usually a pretty extreme month, with lots of tornadoes and downpours. Even so, he says, this has been "kind of unusually intense."

Francis, Meehl and some other meteorologists say the jet stream is in a rut, not moving nasty weather along. The high-speed, constantly shifting river of air 30,000 feet above Earth normally guides storms around the globe, but sometimes splits and comes back together somewhere else.

A stuck jet stream, with a bit of a split, explains the extremes in Texas, India, Alaska and the U.S. East, but not the typhoons, Francis says.

Other possible factors contributing to May's wild weather: the periodic warming of the central Pacific known as El Nino, climate change and natural variability, scientists say.

As people forget about natural cycles and empirical evidence to forward their agenda

the fact remains that the weather patterns are still the same today as last year. There is absolutely no evidence in the actual weather to suggest an el nino is here. And you can show all the warm air graphs you like, the fact remains is that mother nature hasn't turned it into anything you wish she had. Even the weather map last night over the entire US had last years predictions. You see, there is still no weather coming from the west. I think that is needed to provide the el nino.

CO2 is changing the jet stream 30,000 feet up?

really?

AGWCult "Science"

1. Turn on the Weather Channel
2. Point to the Lead story
3. Shriek, "MANMADE GLOBAL WARMING YOU FUCKING DENIER!!!"

the fact remains that the weather patterns are still the same today as last year. There is absolutely no evidence in the actual weather to suggest an el nino is here. And you can show all the warm air graphs you like, the fact remains is that mother nature hasn't turned it into anything you wish she had. Even the weather map last night over the entire US had last years predictions. You see, there is still no weather coming from the west. I think that is needed to provide the el nino.
Damn, you mean it flooded in a major way in Texas last year? How did I miss that?

Just Crazy, maybe you should present a paper to NOAA and NASA and just explain to them why they are so wrong.

Damn, you mean it flooded in a major way in Texas last year? How did I miss that?

You mean there were no flash floods in Texas last year? Where the rain falls is important because it determines the news coverage it gets... Monsoon style rains are not uncommon, yearly in the US you moron...

So if CO2 continues to build we'll have even more Texas flooding next year, right

Quite a few. Simple,you didn't look

Just Crazy, maybe you should present a paper to NOAA and NASA and just explain to them why they are so wrong.
They wouldn't fund me I speak facts

JC, did you see how all those Cat 5 hurricanes made landfall after Katrina...like 2 year, right

JC, did you see how all those Cat 5 hurricanes made landfall after Katrina...like 2 year, right
Right

Just Crazy, Texas was in extreme drought until these rains ended that drought.

Experts Recent rains end worst of years-old Texas drought

DALLAS - Recent heavy rains have helped Texas emerge from the worst of the years-long drought.

The U.S. Drought Monitor on Thursday indicated Texas, for the first time since mid-2012, is no longer in the "exceptional drought" category. That's the most dire of five drought designations on the weekly map by federal agencies.

The drought has ravaged parts of Texas since 2011. Sections of the state were still listed Thursday as abnormally dry or in moderate, severe or extreme drought.

The Houston area received more than 10 inches of rain this week. Corsicana last weekend was doused with 11 inches of rain.

Forum List

Back