Weird Racism At My Job?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Okay, you guys tell me whether I'm imagining something or not.

For two years, I've had a job I really loved at a small business which was fairly well racially-integrated, particularly given the locations of the primary offices (Arizona and Israel). Everyone who was there when I got there had been chosen by either the owner or the controller. Then one of the girls in my physical office left to move out of town with her boyfriend, and my supervisor was given the chance to replace her. She hired Nicole, who happens to be black. She's very good at her job and quite pleasant, so okay. Clearly a "hired on qualifications" choice.

Since then, she and my supervisor, Katie, have become super-buddies. This was also okay, because the other girl in my physical office, Jess, and I were also pretty buddy-buddy. Everyone worked hard, and we had a pleasant environment, and I always felt appreciated and valued for the job I did.

Then Jess left. We were already shorthanded because a lady from another office had left, and there was a lot of scrambling to reassign jobs to get everything covered. Weirdly enough, instead of just apportioning the work of these two ladies out to the remaining employees, Katie decided to totally reorganize everyone's responsibilities, and I suddenly found myself doing the worst and most menial parts of my job and Nicole's job, while Nicole was doing the more administrative aspects of both, including job functions I myself had created, developed, and organized from the ground up.

Nepotism, right? Then Katie decided she had to hire someone soon to replace Jess, because we were all swamped and barely hanging in there (possibly because we begged her to). Out of a large stack of resumes, she chose three people to interview - THREE. Two of them were black men; the third was a woman named "O'Sheena". While no one said it out loud, it was obvious from overheard conversations that she was expected to be black. She showed up for her interview and was half-Asian. Unlike the guys, her interview only last five minutes. No joke.

Katie swore there was no one else in that stack who was really qualified. Mind you, the basic skills needed for this job are not the least bit uncommon or difficult. So she decided to try a temp-to-hire through an employment agency, the way the company acquired me. She did phone interviews, and brought someone in. Guess what race SHE was?

For the record, the Phoenix metropolitan area has, on average, about half the national average for black population. I think it strains coincidence for every single replacement and prospective replacement to be black, and I have the distinct impression that Katie is trying to remake the office into her own racial preference.

I know I'm not imagining the attempt to squeeze me out, but am I imagining the reason behind it?

Katie decided to totally reorganize everyone's responsibilities, and I suddenly found myself doing the worst and most menial parts of my job and Nicole's job, while Nicole was doing the more administrative aspects of both, including job functions I myself had created, developed, and organized from the ground up
Of course you're not imagining it.

Same thing happened to me.

I always got along with my immediate supervisors until they hired the most UNQUALIFIED black supervisor. The guy bullied, berated and badgered us (he was the only black guy) until everyone, one by one, quit. I was lucky. I found a better job with better people in March. Also got a substantial raise at the new place.

This is white, liberal Ann Arbor, but every new hire was black. Before I left, I was doing too much of their work.

The company that I spent 6 years with I was treated like an outsider. The Africans were all chummy and sat around talking and laughing while the two white guys left were always working.

Glad I left that place.

Hate to break it to you, but it wont end well for you. Hope you're looking. Try to leave on good terms.

Last edited:
I think you know the answers to your questions. Sorry it went that way, good luck to you. For what it's worth, anytime I changed jobs it always led to something better.

You come across as someone who won’t have trouble finding work elsewhere. As above, changes can lead to better things beyond salary, bennies, etc. that often come along/develop unsuspected and lead to other opportunities so screw them and move along. You’ll do fine.

For two years, I've had a job I really loved at a small business which was fairly well racially-integrated, particularly given the locations of the primary offices (Arizona and Israel). Everyone who was there when I got there had been chosen by either the owner or the controller. Then one of the girls in my physical office left to move out of town with her boyfriend, and my supervisor was given the chance to replace her. She hired Nicole, who happens to be black. She's very good at her job and quite pleasant, so okay. Clearly a "hired on qualifications" choice.

Since then, she and my supervisor, Katie, have become super-buddies. This was also okay, because the other girl in my physical office, Jess, and I were also pretty buddy-buddy. Everyone worked hard, and we had a pleasant environment, and I always felt appreciated and valued for the job I did.

Then Jess left. We were already shorthanded because a lady from another office had left, and there was a lot of scrambling to reassign jobs to get everything covered. Weirdly enough, instead of just apportioning the work of these two ladies out to the remaining employees, Katie decided to totally reorganize everyone's responsibilities, and I suddenly found myself doing the worst and most menial parts of my job and Nicole's job, while Nicole was doing the more administrative aspects of both, including job functions I myself had created, developed, and organized from the ground up.

Nepotism, right? Then Katie decided she had to hire someone soon to replace Jess, because we were all swamped and barely hanging in there (possibly because we begged her to). Out of a large stack of resumes, she chose three people to interview - THREE. Two of them were black men; the third was a woman named "O'Sheena". While no one said it out loud, it was obvious from overheard conversations that she was expected to be black. She showed up for her interview and was half-Asian. Unlike the guys, her interview only last five minutes. No joke.

Katie swore there was no one else in that stack who was really qualified. Mind you, the basic skills needed for this job are not the least bit uncommon or difficult. So she decided to try a temp-to-hire through an employment agency, the way the company acquired me. She did phone interviews, and brought someone in. Guess what race SHE was?

For the record, the Phoenix metropolitan area has, on average, about half the national average for black population. I think it strains coincidence for every single replacement and prospective replacement to be black, and I have the distinct impression that Katie is trying to remake the office into her own racial preference.

I know I'm not imagining the attempt to squeeze me out, but am I imagining the reason behind it?
To quote the movie "Get Out".

I have to laugh at this. Black unemployment stays double that of whites no matter what and that is not racism, but a single black person gets a job in a business with white employees and it's racism because a white person thinks, with no evidence, that they are trying to force her out for someone black.

It's funny how everybody black is always less qualified. Stop :boo_hoo14:

I have to laugh at this. Black unemployment stays double that of whites no matter what and that is not racism, but a single black person gets a job in a business with white employees and it's racism because a white person thinks, with no evidence, that they are trying to force her out for someone black.

I love the way you say "a white person thinks". If you ain't white, you don't know shit. I don't know EITHER way about that office, but she should get out if she feels that way. And it sounds like you think blacks are unqualified-"It's funny how everybody black is always less qualified". Your statement.

I love the way you say "a white person thinks". If you ain't white, you don't know shit. I don't know EITHER way about that office, but she should get out if she feels that way. And it sounds like you think blacks are unqualified-"It's funny how everybody black is always less qualified". Your statement.

I grew up in a town that was 90 white. Went through a school system in that town. Went to 2 colleges that we 80-90 percent white. I wrestled in college and was the only black on the team. All my jobs but 1 were in predominately white companies and organizations. The majority of meetings I have been in were majority white. You can't say that about your experience with blacks. So I CAN say what I did without being white.

And your last line is classic white boy. Because you know what I was referring to when I said what I did but you want to try being a smart ass.

I grew up in a town that was 90 white. Went through a school system in that town. Went to 2 colleges that we 80-90 percent white. I wrestled in college and was the only black on the team. All my jobs but 1 were in predominately white companies and organizations. The majority of meetings I have been in were majority white. You can't say that about your experience with blacks. So I CAN say what I did without being white.

And your last line is classic white boy. Because you know what I was referring to when I said what I did but you want to try being a smart ass.
Several things-Congratulations on your environment growing up. My schools were white but work experience mostly minority-all types of minorities. So, you don't know what my experiences with blacks have been. And that's why you got the wisecrack you did-your elitist black know it all attitude you project.

Katie decided to totally reorganize everyone's responsibilities, and I suddenly found myself doing the worst and most menial parts of my job and Nicole's job, while Nicole was doing the more administrative aspects of both, including job functions I myself had created, developed, and organized from the ground up
Of course you're not imagining it.

Same thing happened to me.

I always got along with my immediate supervisors until they hired the most UNQUALIFIED black supervisor. The guy bullied, berated and badgered us (he was the only black guy) until everyone, one by one, quit. I was lucky. I found a better job with better people in March. Also got a substantial raise at the new place.

This is white, liberal Ann Arbor, but every new hire was black. Before I left, I was doing too much of their work.

The company that I spent 6 years with I was treated like an outsider. The Africans were all chummy and sat around talking and laughing while the two white guys left were always working.

Glad I left that place.

Hate to break it to you, but it wont end well for you. Hope you're looking. Try to leave on good terms.

Given that she's got herself stuck on the idea of me doing the distasteful stuff for which Nicole was originally hired, and at least two of those things conflict with disabilities I've told the company about, AND she's been told by the controller twice now that I won't be doing those things, I don't think it's going to end particularly well.

At least she's not hiring lazy, unqualified people. It's too small a business and too dependent on everyone working hard. I just get the distinct impression she'd like for the entire physical office to be black.

Oddly enough, Katie herself is not black. Her husband is (and her kids, obviously), and both of her non-work friends I met were.

I think you know the answers to your questions. Sorry it went that way, good luck to you. For what it's worth, anytime I changed jobs it always led to something better.

Oh, I don't worry about my ability to take care of myself and land on my feet. I'm ungodly good at what I do. I just know that I can be paranoid sometimes, and wanted to know whether or not I was imagining things.

That IS interesting, since I never said they were less qualified. In fact, I believe I specified that Nicole is very good at her work, and a reasonably nice person as well. None of the people have been unqualified at all. It's just that I very much get the feeling that she'd prefer an all-black office (except herself, which is what makes it weird), and that means I'd have to go. But I'm too good to ever be able to fire me.

Oh, I don't worry about my ability to take care of myself and land on my feet. I'm ungodly good at what I do. I just know that I can be paranoid sometimes, and wanted to know whether or not I was imagining things.
From what you wrote, you were definitely not imagining things.

You sound confused and irrational. Where did you get they were trying to squeeze you out because she hire Black people to help you out? Now if this was a person hiring all whites you wouldnt have batted an eye.

That IS interesting, since I never said they were less qualified. In fact, I believe I specified that Nicole is very good at her work, and a reasonably nice person as well. None of the people have been unqualified at all. It's just that I very much get the feeling that she'd prefer an all-black office (except herself, which is what makes it weird), and that means I'd have to go. But I'm too good to ever be able to fire me.
DON"T ever think you are too good to be fired-seen it happen to many "good" people.

DON"T ever think you are too good to be fired-seen it happen to many "good" people.

Let me put it another way I'm too good to be fired legitimately, without giving me a hellacious lawsuit and unemployment claim.

Be that as it may, I am looking for another job, because life is too short to put up with stress from other people's bullshit.

Right....it could not POSSIBLY be that there are qualified black people out there, right? :icon_rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

No....your boss is a virtue signaling liberal moron who just wants to hire more blacks to feel good about herself. I also live in the Phoenix metro area, blacks are not really that plentiful out here, you are not dealing with a coincidence.

Forum List

Back