We’d better stop drilling to save this bird

Global Warming

time to save the chickens ...

Perhaps you should be discussing this issue with India, Pakistan, your friends the Chinese and the Russians? Especially since these are the countries that are manufacturing and out producing Carbon emmissions more than America. We know that China and Russia have destroyed their environment and have no intentions of following any environmental protocols. The U.S. petroleum industry at this point in time is the most regulated industry and you insist that the praire chicken is endangered by a 5 acre foot print of a drilling rig.

I've been to many rigs where the pad was less than 2 acres, bearly had room to trun a truck around. Most in W. Texas are 3-4 acres unless they plan to put down multiple directional holes from the same pad, then they can get considerably larger.

You're right. I thought I'd take the average size of the oil rig foot print.
What about the fact that other countries have little to no environmental restrictions? Should we be imposing oir rules on others or let them destroy the same earth we are seeking to protect?

Thanks for the link. I always knew there were tons of small wells out there in farm fields and the like. Those are the ones I have been close to.

It seems 1,000 or out of 1,600 MMbbls come from wells that make more than fifty barrels a day?

The 96% of wells account for 3/8 of production or the top 4% of wells account for 5/8 of production?

Is 50 BOE that about the cut off between large and small?

Do you have a link that gives a visual example of large and medium?

Really I don't go on tours of other industry's industrial sites that often, go figure. I know folks whine to no end when a coal or nuclear plant is going to be built in their zip code. Can't remember much for well talk.

A "marginal" well is defined as making 10 barrels per day or less. These make up the vast majority of oil wells in the U.S. Very expensive to operate when you break down the profit to a per-barrel basis. They are also referred to as "stripper" wells, because often times 90% or more of the fluid that is pumped out of the ground is salt water. This fluid is pumped into a central tank called a separator. There, the oil floats to the top and is gravity fed or "stripped" off the top and into a storage tank.

When Obamadolt refers to oil industry "subsidies", one of them is the depletion allowance. It's not a subsidy, but an accounting treatment that has been in the tax code for decades. It's a method of depreciating a depletable asset. If not for depletion allowance we would have lost these marginal wells to abandonment a long time ago.

Toxic effect of China environmental nondisclosure​

By: Caixin Online
Nov 28, 2012

High-profile talk emphasizing environmental action at the Communist Party’s 18th national congress attracted a lot of attention...

China’s soil contamination problem is among the worst the world has ever seen, according to data released in 2006 by the Ministry of Environmental Protection. The study found toxins affecting some 10 million hectares of the country’s 120 million hectares of arable land, and that another 2.1 million hectares of crops were being irrigated with polluted water. Some 133,000 hectares were being used for waste dumps nationwide.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
MarketWatch.com Mobile

Forum List

Back