Wealth Redistribution

Just a casual observation. Duties/tariffs or any other fees applied to commerce for purpose of raising monies to support the Constitutional functions of government is not redistribution of wealth of any sort.

I always thought duties, tariffs, and other forms of protectionism are enacted for purely political reasons rather than supporting legit constitutional functions. Since those actions always assist one group at the expense of another, one might consider it to be a redistribution of wealth. Not from someone who earned it to someone who didn't, but just picking winners and losers, based on lobbying. Maybe?

Boedicca said:
There's a fable about that:

"There's another fable about that: http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/50820-atlas-panted.html

Quantum Windbag said:
"I keep wondering where people that think regulations exist to protect us from big business leave their brains. Regulations in their current form exist to protect big business from competition."

Darn, we agree but who changed that. No answer?

Wiseacre said:
I think Sowell is talking about gov't programs and policies that are intended to redress inequalities, such as affirmative action, by focusing on outcomes rather than causes. He's saying (I think) that in so doing you are reducing somebody else's freedom, and that such ideas are essentially zero sum.

We mostly agree again, my point was his 'personal isolation? comments,' it was as if the universe were him alone. I do realize we all do that, but did he forget the civil rights battles, the freedom riders, MLK, etc etc. Check Manchester's 'Glory and the Dream' on those times. Even Eisenhower (maybe the last really good republican) alienated the base.

Publius1787 said:
"If you place equality before liberty you will have neither. If you place liberty before equality you will have a great deal of both."

Interesting, I hate to keep referencing my threads, but I actually agree. See http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/50727-who-should-rule-test.html

Foxfyre said:
"...Wealth RE-distribution involves a third party which in this case is the government. It is confiscation of my property without due compensation and/or without providing any benefit to me for the express purpose of enriching or benefitting another."

So the world you live in offers you no benefit? You may want to try that island or deepest darkest jungle and let us know how freedom tastes when it is free? Oh and don't get sick?

Oddball said:
Yet, somehow or another, "society" isn't too broad an abstraction, when you seek to destroy individual liberty and rationalize stealing from people.

Interesting comment. Society I can see even touch, we live it, our very language resides in it, freedom depends on the moment or my wife's mood. ;) http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/50799-is-freedom-real.html

Regarding the Fed, I know too little to give a fair assessment, I've heard good things mostly from moderates and more progressive people, I've heard bad things, mostly from the right side. Sometimes it boils down to the bogeyman theory of value, if government is mentioned some immediately get under the covers, scary stuff. I have to research that one a bit.

expat_panama said:
....Maybe someone else here can work it out for you better than me.

I don't think anyone can understand economics or the weird psychological ramifications of money. If you watch the market you soon realize it is an irrational place. The Fed is an interesting piece of the pie. One piece of history, when the Great Depression began, it started over fear only air and not real assets backed the investors money and if look at 2008 we see a similar situation but that crazy government got in there and created asset air. Seemed to have worked. See quote below.

As you read these point counterpoints you soon realize it is the person's mental picture, or behaviorally, their conditioned response to certain WORDS. In a paradoxical way we could all agree if we could just fit the word into the person's (our) personal worldview or paradigm. But again I have to consider the pudding and things do change and some things need to be changed. Live moves forward in spite of us.

"On the day when Saddam was caught, the bond market went up in the morning, and it went down in the afternoon. So here we had two headlines — "Bond Market Up on Saddam News," and in the afternoon, "Bond Market Down on Saddam News" — and then they had in both cases very convincing explanations of the moves. Basically if you can explain one thing and its opposite using the same data you don't have an explanation. It takes a lot of courage to keep silent." Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Last edited:
What you are offering are opinions, not truths. Truths can br proven, none of what you're saying here falls in that category.

Midcan wrote, "There is not a single recent statistic that does not point to growing inequality in America.

So what? Why isn't it a good thing that someone in this country can get rich ?

from above link.

"In 1974 the top 0.1 percent of American families earned 2.7 percent of all income in the country. By 2007, Hacker and Pierson write, “the top 0.1 percent have seen their slice of the pie grow . . . to 12.3 percent of income—a more than fourfold increase” (emphasis in original)." Winner-Take-All Politics

Darn, I expected better from you. You tell me they are only my opinions and then in the very next reply tell me so what? Which is it I ask?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/100438-which-is-which.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You guys are no fun, all I read are made up Midcans based on the writers stereotypes. Come on folks put on your thinking caps. http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/124603-thinking-caps-on-america.html

Back I go to see if I missed any profundity. But so far looks like I win. ;)

What you are offering are opinions, not truths. Truths can br proven, none of what you're saying here falls in that category.

Midcan wrote, "There is not a single recent statistic that does not point to growing inequality in America.

from above link.

"In 1974 the top 0.1 percent of American families earned 2.7 percent of all income in the country. By 2007, Hacker and Pierson write, “the top 0.1 percent have seen their slice of the pie grow . . . to 12.3 percent of income—a more than fourfold increase” (emphasis in original)." Winner-Take-All Politics

Darn, I expected better from you. You tell me they are only my opinions and then in the very next reply tell me so what? Which is it I ask?

You guys are no fun, all I read are made up Midcans based on the writers stereotypes. Come on folks put on your thinking caps. http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/124603-thinking-caps-on-america.html

You win? This is a game with a winner and a loser? I thought it was an exchange of opinions, and so far you haven't done well in backing up your views.

You talk about growing inequality, presumeably income inequality. Like that is supposed to mean something important, why is that so vital to you? In 1980 the stock market was at 800, now it's up over 12,000. Who do you think was in the best position to take advantage of that? Housing prices shot up all over the country, people made big money in real estate. Who made the most? The people with the most money to invest.

Those people at the bottom of the economic pile in 1974, you think they all stayed there? What was Bill Gates making back then? Many of 'em went into business, or worked their way up the ladder, same as many of the rich guys moved down and were replaced by new rich guys. There's a turnover, it ain't the same bunch at the bottomor the top. And if somebody is still on the bottom, who's fault is that? Sometimes opportunity comes knocking, sometimes more than once. But sometimes it doesn't and you have to make your own opportunities. Some people were more fortunate than others, some didn't even try.

So it's not surprising that income inequality exists. I'll repeat, so what? Shouldn't we live in a country when getting rich is possible?

Quantum Windbag said:
"I keep wondering where people that think regulations exist to protect us from big business leave their brains. Regulations in their current form exist to protect big business from competition."

Darn, we agree but who changed that. No answer?

Big business and progressive activists worked together to accomplish it. who do you think changed it?

Last edited:

from above link.

You win? This is a game with a winner and a loser? I thought it was an exchange of opinions, and so far you haven't done well in backing up your views.

You talk about growing inequality, presumeably income inequality. Like that is supposed to mean something important, why is that so vital to you? In 1980 the stock market was at 800, now it's up over 12,000. Who do you think was in the best position to take advantage of that? Housing prices shot up all over the country, people made big money in real estate. Who made the most? The people with the most money to invest.

Those people at the bottom of the economic pile in 1974, you think they all stayed there? What was Bill Gates making back then? Many of 'em went into business, or worked their way up the ladder, same as many of the rich guys moved down and were replaced by new rich guys. There's a turnover, it ain't the same bunch at the bottomor the top. And if somebody is still on the bottom, who's fault is that? Sometimes opportunity comes knocking, sometimes more than once. But sometimes it doesn't and you have to make your own opportunities. Some people were more fortunate than others, some didn't even try.

So it's not surprising that income inequality exists. I'll repeat, so what? Shouldn't we live in a country when getting rich is possible?

Certainly inequality exists in ability, motivation, incentive, outcome. Why should there be equality of wealth any more than there is equality of ability to play football or tennis or to compose and perform music or to understand quantum physics or to give great oratory or to drive the fastest race car?

If we adopted a policy that a sports team could only make so many points or we would take points from one sports team that makes a lot of them and give to another sports team that isn't doing very well, how hard do you think any of the players on either team would be willing to work to improve?

When we punish success and reward lack of success, you get pretty much the same mediocre results.

from above link.

Midcan't is nothing without his profound hubris....You'll find it in great abundance in his every post, where he isn't hiding behind the words and opinions of others.

Oh my god, I wish some of you folks would take some time to read a few books on economics.

The simplitic way some of you folks view this enormously complex subject is frightening.

Economics really isn't that complicated....Not anywhere near so as the pointy heads in academe want you to believe.

It pretty much has a dozen or so (if that many) hard-and-fast laws, and about a zillion theories that cannot possibly be objectively proven.

It's worse than weather and the teevee weatherman has only about a 50-50 shot at telling me whether or not it's going to rain or not in three day's time.

We have a winner! -Sorry for late reply, we liberals are busy people-

This is a reply primarily to Posts: 121. 122, and 127 with a few additional summary comments. I was told my truths were only opinions but then the writer proceeded to give his opinions. If opinions are automatically rejected, why continue, the same point would apply, would it not?

But my points are not simply opinion, I am actually taking a very conservative stance here providing only comments that can be verified. If necessary I will provide sources that confirm my positions on any of the items. Ask for clarification. The respondents oddly criticize supporting sources, it is not clear if their knowledge only comes from a receiver chip in their head, but all evidence points in that direction. I do acknowledge a few of these truths are obvious and relevant only in modern America. They are not universals.

The winning revisionist comment comes from Wiseacre. "This is nonsense. Did we not have a good economic boom for 25 years after Reagan lowered taxes? Ditto when Gingrich lead the GOP Congress to cut taxes in 1997 and Bush43 did in 2003. And Democratic policies since FDR have put us in the financial mess we're in now, and they made it a lot worse under Obummer." Wise? I think not.

If one can seriously believe that, one could more easily believe in the tooth fairy. Reagan raised taxes six or seven times, he had the largest tax increase in peacetime ever. At first Reagan engaged in Keynesian economics and spent like crazy, a great deal on defense and a failed star wars project that never worked. One wonders how quickly some forget history. "It's the economy, Stupid!" was the slogan that won Clinton his first election. It took time to correct the mess Reagan/Bush left but Clinton eventually accomplished that with taxes on the wealthy, help from the Internet bubble, and millennium spending. One realizes republicans rewrite history, but who can forget the S&L scandal and bailouts, or Iran Contra which was probably an impeachable offence. Reagan though was in early stages of Alzheimer's, but he did raise taxes and he did in a bi-partisan manner help keep Social security solvent. So for those things he and his aides deserve credit.

Nothing else in Wise's unwise reply is relevant or counter to my positions. Exaggerated ad hom claims are not counters, it is important you read what I wrote and not what your mind reads and interjects.

Oddball's post offered no counter argument. His form of debate is the schoolyard form, "No you are!" or "You're wrong." or "No, you didn't." I asked that you give at least a bit of secondary evidence. You may want to see if that receiver chip in your noodle can provide a source. Lots of conservative corporate supported think tanks out there rewriting history, surely you could at least reference one. And unlike you guys I enjoy sources even when they are off the wall and made from thin air. So for a start provide a site in which it is argued that lower taxes on the wealthy creates jobs.

Quantum Windbag, yes, statistics can be fudged, you know what they say about lies. But the evidence is overwhelming, I included enough already, the point is past proven and like global warming only denied by those who still claim the earth is flat.

Your reply to, "A society that is more equal functions better than one in which only a few possess wealth." was in contention for the revisionist comment award. You wrote, "Highly debatable opinion, and only a truth except in small minds that think their opinions mean more than the real world that surrounds them." Why don't you try living in a third world nation and let us know how it goes. The majority of people living on this earth live on under two dollars a day. Would anyone chose to be among them? You?

QW wrote, "I can point to at least one historical example of a [edit] culture that grew rich without having any recognized government. Not being an anthropologist I can not site more than that, but I am sure many exist." And that would be?

It is obvious that you have difference concepts of wealth. Plutocracies, oligarchies or totalitarian societies may have wealth galore but it exists only as potential or for the privileged few. Sometimes it exists for self aggrandizement and often war aka power. I consider wealth to be a transferable valued commodity within a society where all have opportunity to share in the benefits of that material. But thanks I have to clarify that point in my notes.

Taxes provide the means for a well run and well regulated society. Consider all the infrastructure we all depend on, the product safety, community safety, laws and contract enforcement, regulatory structure, and the help and support of fellow citizens who are victims of the swings of capitalism and the profit greed of corporations and people. If one thing manages wealth in this nation it is law, and taxes pay for law. When taxes were highest, America had her best years. I have posted support for that often. Lowering taxes hasn't helped jobs, that much is clear even if you only view Bush Jr's failed economy. Bush one and two have the worst job records of any presidents. Bush I had help from Reagan, Bush II managed it on his own.

Comment:

There are several salient points that need review. Conservatives (C) and liberals see the world differently. Conservatives tend to see extremes of good and bad, they long for heroes, individuals like Reagan, who become mythical and unapproachable. Bad guys are easy to spot, they are government or anyone concerned with issues that conflict with their Ayn Rand type hero. Government is the largest of the bad guys but it also poses a paradox as conservatives need government as a place for their heroes to fight the good battle and enforce their laws, but they dislike government when other heroes, such as FDR or LBJ do battle against inequality and poverty. What then happens is the battle become cloaked in symbols and words, the good and the bad, the slippery slope and soon the battle becomes the reality even though the reality remains outside the battle.

Wealth only exists in a society of free people with opportunity to take part in the wealth. Some would say the Pyramids equate to wealth but that is the narrow wealth of individual hubris. America's greatest wealth came from the security of the infrastructure FDR and his administration created; Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy/LBJ, and Nixon maintained that growth and security.

The chief C argument with equality is the distribution argument or redistribution argument. The idea points to how we frame or create our world, if our head includes the concept that taxation is stealing then one outcome follows, if instead we consider taxation a part of good citizenship and support for the nation that provides for us and others, a different outcome follows.

Another argument against a more equal society is everyone already has equal opportunity, that is complete balderdash. Our public schools and our public projects have helped greatly, but today they are a target of conservatives. It is hard to say why but conservatives are still fighting FDR and the idea of social justice. It often seems to me conservatives are fighting against America's core values.

Americans select the type of country they want, we can have one similar to early twentieth century with its sweat shops and extreme poverty or we can do better. Exaggerated conclusions and or the assignment of negative values to an opponent do not win the debate. I will be accused of same but history is out there for those who read and think. Turn off that receiver and learn on your own.

Quantum Windbag, yes, statistics can be fudged, you know what they say about lies. But the evidence is overwhelming, I included enough already, the point is past proven and like global warming only denied by those who still claim the earth is flat.

You have never presented any evidence, all you present is links to other people's opinions. That might overwhelm you, but it just makes me wonder where you got your training in logic.

Your reply to, "A society that is more equal functions better than one in which only a few possess wealth." was in contention for the revisionist comment award. You wrote, "Highly debatable opinion, and only a truth except in small minds that think their opinions mean more than the real world that surrounds them." Why don't you try living in a third world nation and let us know how it goes. The majority of people living on this earth live on under two dollars a day. Would anyone chose to be among them? You?

Most third world countries are getting richer every day, and the middle class is expanding. the ones where that is not happening are all governed by oppressive regimes that limit social movement and the creation of wealth.

Want to try again?

QW wrote, "I can point to at least one historical example of a [edit] culture that grew rich without having any recognized government. Not being an anthropologist I can not site more than that, but I am sure many exist." And that would be?

Barbary corsairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is obvious that you have difference concepts of wealth. Plutocracies, oligarchies or totalitarian societies may have wealth galore but it exists only as potential or for the privileged few. Sometimes it exists for self aggrandizement and often war aka power. I consider wealth to be a transferable valued commodity within a society where all have opportunity to share in the benefits of that material. But thanks I have to clarify that point in my notes.

If we have different concepts of wealth it is because you confuse money and wealth.

Taxes provide the means for a well run and well regulated society. Consider all the infrastructure we all depend on, the product safety, community safety, laws and contract enforcement, regulatory structure, and the help and support of fellow citizens who are victims of the swings of capitalism and the profit greed of corporations and people. If one thing manages wealth in this nation it is law, and taxes pay for law. When taxes were highest, America had her best years. I have posted support for that often. Lowering taxes hasn't helped jobs, that much is clear even if you only view Bush Jr's failed economy. Bush one and two have the worst job records of any presidents. Bush I had help from Reagan, Bush II managed it on his own.

Taxes are the means for a government to support itself and supply needed services. Equating society and government just shows how little you understand the dynamics that go into either.

Your comment about taxes paying for law is an illustration of the problem you have. Laws exist to make society more tolerable. The way we pay for them is by accepting that there are certain things that we cannot do if we live in society, not through taxes.

Comment:

There are several salient points that need review. Conservatives (C) and liberals see the world differently. Conservatives tend to see extremes of good and bad, they long for heroes, individuals like Reagan, who become mythical and unapproachable. Bad guys are easy to spot, they are government or anyone concerned with issues that conflict with their Ayn Rand type hero. Government is the largest of the bad guys but it also poses a paradox as conservatives need government as a place for their heroes to fight the good battle and enforce their laws, but they dislike government when other heroes, such as FDR or LBJ do battle against inequality and poverty. What then happens is the battle become cloaked in symbols and words, the good and the bad, the slippery slope and soon the battle becomes the reality even though the reality remains outside the battle.

This is why I call you an arrogant asshole. You belittle an entire group of people, attempting to preform forensic psychology on them because it makes you feel better about yourself. The reason the government is the problem is because the government has power, and it is run by people. Government is not bad in and of itself, but the bigger and more powerful it is the easier it is for the people that work in it to amass power and use that power for personal goals.

That has nothing to do with heroes, or even right and wrong, it is simply common sense. Yet you discount it because you prefer to see the government as beneficial. This actually cause you to ignore the reality that you live in.

Wealth only exists in a society of free people with opportunity to take part in the wealth. Some would say the Pyramids equate to wealth but that is the narrow wealth of individual hubris. America's greatest wealth came from the security of the infrastructure FDR and his administration created; Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy/LBJ, and Nixon maintained that growth and security.

Wealth is not dependent upon society. A perfect example of this is the wealth that is currently under the ground in Afghanistan. That lithium exist completely independent of who is in control of the government there. Like I said before, you confuse wealth and money. Money only exists in society, wealth exist independent of either.

The chief C argument with equality is the distribution argument or redistribution argument. The idea points to how we frame or create our world, if our head includes the concept that taxation is stealing then one outcome follows, if instead we consider taxation a part of good citizenship and support for the nation that provides for us and others, a different outcome follows.

Here is the problem with thinking of taxation in the way you propose. If we see taxes as good citizenship we are forced to assume that the government has a right to taxes and have to justify any attempts to reduce them. This actually requires us to justify allowing anyone, even the poor, to keep wealth they accrue because it all belongs to society.

I prefer to look at taxes as something we need to pay in order to provide the services we want. We should hold the government accountable for all taxes it requests, and remind it that, ultimately, all wealth belongs to the individuals who create it. They should be required to justify all expenses and only be allowed to request more taxes from us after they have proven that they are needed it.

Another argument against a more equal society is everyone already has equal opportunity, that is complete balderdash. Our public schools and our public projects have helped greatly, but today they are a target of conservatives. It is hard to say why but conservatives are still fighting FDR and the idea of social justice. It often seems to me conservatives are fighting against America's core values.

Our public schools are a complete failure, and liberals target anyone who tries to help anyone get out of them as enemies of unions.

Tell me something, why should the DC voucher program not be expanded so that everyone who wants to send their child to the same school Obama sends his daughters to has the chance? Why are conservatives the enemy of equality simply because they want everyone to have equal opportunity, while liberals who send their children to private schools while denying other parents the same opportunity for a quality education the champions of it?

Americans select the type of country they want, we can have one similar to early twentieth century with its sweat shops and extreme poverty or we can do better. Exaggerated conclusions and or the assignment of negative values to an opponent do not win the debate. I will be accused of same but history is out there for those who read and think. Turn off that receiver and learn on your own.

We already do better. It is not the conservatives that are trying to send us back a century, it is the progressives who think we need to fix problems we had back then that no longer exist.

By the way, I refer you back to your continued attack on conservatives and the way you belittle them throughout this post. Next time you want to call other people on assigning negative values to others you might look better if you did not engage in it yourself.

Last edited:
By the way, I refer you back to your continued attack on conservatives and the way you belittle them throughout this post. Next time you want to call other people on assigning negative values to others you might look better if you did not engage in it yourself.
Fabian socialist/progressive blowhard rule #1:

We're completely free to disregard all rules we seek to impose upon everyone else.

Midcan, you're still ignoring my questions/points. Can I take that as a concession and claim 'victory'? Do I get to do a special dance or something now?

Midcan, you're still ignoring my questions/points. Can I take that as a concession and claim 'victory'? Do I get to do a special dance or something now?

Please give me post number or numbers?

You have never presented any evidence, all you present is links to other people's opinions. That might overwhelm you, but it just makes me wonder where you got your training in logic.....

Quantum Windbag, I have provided lots of information but if statistics that support specific conclusions aren't good enough then nothing would be. Saying something is an opinion is not a counter argument, it is childish and lacking of thought. Then you tell me that many third world nations have an expanding middle class with no proof, is that your opinion or have you traveled and studied extensively in the third world nations? Barbary Pirates? I can see you are must be ten or twelve, no offense meant but pirates in the 16th and 17th century, OMFG is all I can say. Somalia's pirates do they count too? Or the mafia? Money and wealth! again OMG no comment is possible. So government is not society and society not made up of government. I already noted what wealth is about, no need to reply again. Sorry, but your comments make no sense. Please save them and read them ten or twenty years from now. I mean that seriously. I feel sorta sorry that this is the best argument I am getting from the conservatives who always bash liberals as you do in your public school comment. Public education made this nation great. Today it is controversial for all the wrong reasons.

=============================================

Oddball only confirmed my comment above.

==============================================

The PDF from which quote below came is available on the web for those who still ponder the tough questions.

"Aristotle, in the Politics, supplemented his mentor’s views in some important ways. First, Aristotle emphasized that physical security — both external and internal — is also a fundamental function of the state, one of its principle raison d'être (a point Plato also made in a later work, the Laws). The collective survival enterprise is not, therefore, exclusively an economic association. Aristotle also stressed that human nature is not an autonomous agency. It entails a set of innate aptitudes that are uniquely fitted for society and that can only be developed in a network of social relationships. Thus, social life involves more than being simply a marketplace for economic transactions. It also involves a life in common; we are all enriched by it. Indeed, a hermit is not only economically deprived; he/she is not fully human and, equally important, has no evolutionary future. (We will also return to this important point.)" Peter A. Corning 'The Evolution Of Politics'

Quantum Windbag, I have provided lots of information but if statistics that support specific conclusions aren't good enough then nothing would be. Saying something is an opinion is not a counter argument, it is childish and lacking of thought. Then you tell me that many third world nations have an expanding middle class with no proof, is that your opinion or have you traveled and studied extensively in the third world nations? Barbary Pirates? I can see you are must be ten or twelve, no offense meant but pirates in the 16th and 17th century, OMFG is all I can say. Somalia's pirates do they count too? Or the mafia? Money and wealth! again OMG no comment is possible. So government is not society and society not made up of government. I already noted what wealth is about, no need to reply again. Sorry, but your comments make no sense. Please save them and read them ten or twenty years from now. I mean that seriously. I feel sorta sorry that this is the best argument I am getting from the conservatives who always bash liberals as you do in your public school comment. Public education made this nation great. Today it is controversial for all the wrong reasons.

Are you even trying to make sense?

Middle Class.

Africa's Growing Consumer Class Lures Multinationals - WSJ.com

Barbary pirates.

Why is an example that shows that wealth can be created without government invalid because it is old? We actually went to war against those pirates because of the impact they had on our wealth. The pirates in Somalia are a nuisance at this point in time, though people keep pointing out that it is an anarchy, so I could use them as an example of wealth creation without government.

If, as you assert, government and society are interchangeable, why do you argue that they are not? You specifically object to society having a say in abortions because it interferes with what you perceive as being right.

Want to try again to make me look stupid? I really enjoy it.

The PDF from which quote below came is available on the web for those who still ponder the tough questions.

"Aristotle, in the Politics, supplemented his mentor’s views in some important ways. First, Aristotle emphasized that physical security — both external and internal — is also a fundamental function of the state, one of its principle raison d'être (a point Plato also made in a later work, the Laws). The collective survival enterprise is not, therefore, exclusively an economic association. Aristotle also stressed that human nature is not an autonomous agency. It entails a set of innate aptitudes that are uniquely fitted for society and that can only be developed in a network of social relationships. Thus, social life involves more than being simply a marketplace for economic transactions. It also involves a life in common; we are all enriched by it. Indeed, a hermit is not only economically deprived; he/she is not fully human and, equally important, has no evolutionary future. (We will also return to this important point.)" Peter A. Corning 'The Evolution Of Politics'

Funny how, in the same post you insist that you post facts, you post a link to an opinion and assume that it proves you right. Let me put it to you in simple terms.

Aristotle was an idiot. He believed that the Earth was the center of the universe, that there were four elements, that philosophy is the ultimate science, and that life spontaneously arises from nothing. Quoting him to prove something just shows how desperate you are to make a point.

Forum List

Back