Wealth Redistribution

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This is a response to the question asked here. http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/167715-morality-of-wealth-redistribution.html

Whenever I hear this question from conservatives and libertarians I wonder why they have to ask it for I don't see 'redistribution' anywhere? (While a bit off topic, it always reminds me of the Russian Serf and nobility, or the Slave owner and Slave situation of past centuries.) It is an attitude on the part of the questioner rather than question. A few comments on the use of the words and ideas around the topic.

Wealth is only created in a society, sometimes a good idea makes money but good ideas do not exist in a vacuum. Each citizen of America has a equal right as citizen to its wealth. So obviously its natural resources belong to all. That everyone cannot take advantage of them, forces the government to regulate their use. Since we all own the timber, coal, petroleum, and other materials, everyone should benefit from their sale and usage. Seems simple.

People are not moral in the sense in which the question is asked, a few don't steal etc, but most people do what is comfortable for them based on their worldview. Think Mother Theresa and Bernie Madoff. No one, especially those able to benefit most from their class position think about the moral implications of their wealth. We are a society based on the individual who think they are Crusoe. Some very wealthy people eventually create useful charitable organizations, but this aid is often about personal aggrandizement or directed outward. While that is a positive, it does not lessen the fact the monies were made in a particular society from its resources, and if morality plays a part they owe that society much.

Every citizens pays taxes at some time in their life or their family does, each citizen in some way supports the society they live in and thus deserve help when the society's economy fails to provide opportunity. Membership in a nation grants these rights.

Wealthy people do not work any harder than others. I hear this constantly and wonder who the heck they are talking about. Show me a wealthy person who works harder than a miner, a roofer, a short order cook or any other job that often pays minimum wage. This is total BS, wealthy people, like so called 'moral' people do what they want and while some have talents that others do not, they still live in a society that provides them additional wealth.

The idea that incentive is all that is needed is more BS. Consider that something like sixty thousand businesses fail each year in America and these people surely did not lack incentive. They may have thought a bad idea would work but they worked none the less. Success is often luck and timing, few seem to recognize that important part of wealth.

Another aspect of great wealth is the power it has in a society or nation. Money buys power and lawyers who argue for the wealthy and with our election funding it controls the very people elected to serve the people, all people, but who often only work for the wealthy.

Since the wealth of a nation belongs to all, redistribution in the pejorative sense in which conservatives and libertarians frame it is a non-starter and an invalid argument. Citizens have a right to a fair distribution of the wealth of the nation they too own. That is the moral thing to do.

Inequality in a society also leads to the problems noted below, if morality were truly a consideration of a society and its wealth, this would be less a issue. "Great inequality is the scourge of modern societies. We provide the evidence on each of eleven different health and social problems: physical health, mental health, drug abuse, education, imprisonment, obesity, social mobility, trust and community life, violence, teenage births, and child well-being. For all eleven of these health and social problems, outcomes are very substantially worse in more unequal societies." Richard Wilkinson/Kate Pickett The Evidence in Detail | The Equality Trust

How the rich benefit from what should be owned by all: The Conservative Nanny State and Why we can't ignore growing income inequality. (1) - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

How did you get rich dadddy? The rich get rich because of their merit. and UBI and the Flat Tax

"Old-fashioned laissez-faire in its pure form has fewer proponents today, but it is still conventional, among experts as well as in common discourse, to speak of "the economy" as an entity as though it were quite separate from government and society. Instead of these familiar but, we think, misleading distinctions we shall use the older, more accurate term "political economy." This term implies that economic activity is part of a larger social whole; the economy can be completely isolated from politics only in a game." Taming the Savage Market

Last edited:
A FREE MARKET is a mythical animal, much like PURE COMMUNISM or the unicorn.

The economy of a society and the governance of that society has ALWAYS been inextricably linked.

To imagine otherwise is flat out silly.

The KIND of government a society has DICTATES the kind of economic system that will evolve from it. (and oddly enough vice versa)

It's a kind of SOCIO-FEEDBACK system.

Regarding luck and timing (also luck I suppose). If that is the only reason that a business succeeds and others fail then that means everything in life is luck and nothing is fair so why bother bitching about anything.

Each citizen of America has a equal right as citizen to its wealth. So obviously its natural resources belong to all. That everyone cannot take advantage of them, forces the government to regulate their use. Since we all own the timber, coal, petroleum, and other materials, everyone should benefit from their sale and usage. Seems simple.

Did you invent the equipment to extract those natural resources? Did you make it profitable to extract those natural resources? Are you paying the government for the lease and the rights? Did you get the education and work skills necessary to extract those resources? What happened to the Soveit oil, wages, and prices once they forced out the British out of their country?

(People are not moral in the sense in which the question is asked) ... (Some very wealthy people eventually create useful charitable organizations, but this aid is often about personal aggrandizement or directed outward.)

Define morality? The worth of a man is certainly not how much of his labor he gives to someone else. Nevertheless your code of morality measures the worth of a man by the amount he selflessly gives. The true universal code of morality is to never take the individual lives or liberties of others. The first two paragraphs of the Declaration of Independence spells this out perfectly.

Every citizens pays taxes at some time in their life or their family does, each citizen in some way supports the society they live in and thus deserve help when the society's economy fails to provide opportunity. Membership in a nation grants these rights.

People support scociety by supporting themselves. Freedom of association demands that I not be forced to associate with anyone who I do not beleive to be in my best interest. This ensures mutual benefit. I am taxed to pay for those eccential government services that defend all of our rights and liberties equally (The General "not specific" Welfare). Membership in a nation only grants you the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit (not guarentee) of happiness.

Wealthy people do not work any harder than others. I hear this constantly and wonder who the heck they are talking about. Show me a wealthy person who works harder than a miner, a roofer, a short order cook or any other job that often pays minimum wage. This is total BS, wealthy people, like so called 'moral' people do what they want and while some have talents that others do not, they still live in a society that provides them additional wealth.

The worth of a man is not whether he does manual labor or not. The worth of a man comes from his ability to think, his skills, and his work ethic etc. Those who score low on all of these are who ends up doing the work that no one else wants to do. You interact with and hire people based upon their skills. I am not going to hire a roofer to run a bank with no education in economics or finance and no experience to run a bank.

The idea that incentive is all that is needed is more BS. Consider that something like sixty thousand businesses fail each year in America and these people surely did not lack incentive. They may have thought a bad idea would work but they worked none the less. Success is often luck and timing, few seem to recognize that important part of wealth.

Misreading the incentive is what these people do. What must you take in to mind when you judge incentive? Competition, location, avalability of resources, customer base, advertising, wages, benefits, profitability, scarcity, rule of law, regulations, licensing, fees, unions, and the most important one ECONOMIC FREEDOM. Most people fail because they misread the incentive.

Another aspect of great wealth is the power it has in a society or nation. Money buys power and lawyers who argue for the wealthy and with our election funding it controls the very people elected to server the people, all people, but who often only work for the wealthy.

Regulation is the tool the wealthy uses to manipulate the law to create barriers of entery and monopolize through wipeing out competition. The more regulation and government agencies you have, the more the rich can beat competition over the head with the laws and pay off the government officials in the agencies.

Since the wealth of a nation belongs to all.

Wealth belongs to those who create it.

Inequality in a society also leads to the problems noted below, if morality were truly a consideration of a society and its wealth, this would be less a issue. "Great inequality is the scourge of modern societies. We provide the evidence on each of eleven different health and social problems: physical health, mental health, drug abuse, education, imprisonment, obesity, social mobility, trust and community life, violence, teenage births, and child well-being. For all eleven of these health and social problems, outcomes are very substantially worse in more unequal societies." Richard Wilkinson/Kate Pickett The Evidence in Detail | The Equality Trust

Individual descisions. I should not pay for someone elses COICE to have a child, I should not pay for their CHOICE of eating habit, I am not responsible for their CHOICE to abuse drugs, I should not have to pay for the abortion of the child they cant afford because they CHOSE not to keep their legs shut, and I should not give them INCENTIVES to continue their bad CHOICE of behavior. If I gave them food, housing, healthcare, and transportation, what would be the incentive to work? In the USSR those incentives were taken away and to compensate for their loss, unproductive people were considered "enemies of the state" and sent to the gulags.

"Old-fashioned laissez-faire in its pure form has fewer proponents today, but it is still conventional, among experts as well as in common discourse, to speak of "the economy" as an entity as though it were quite separate from government and society. Instead of these familiar but, we think, misleading distinctions we shall use the older, more accurate term "political economy." This term implies that economic activity is part of a larger social whole; the economy can be completely isolated from politics only in a game." Taming the Savage Market

The economy is a series of individuals making individual descisions through pursuing THEIR OWN happiness with the unaleinable rights and liberties that no government can take away. We are the economy and the moment that you force us to stop pursuing our OWN happiness with the horrible intention of FORCING us to provide for the happiness of others there is little to no reason to provide for ourselves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBeuR0xEP8&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Friedman and Sowell on Equality‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GklCBvS-eI]YouTube - ‪Thomas Sowell - Welfare‬‏[/ame]

Your avatar is a perfect representation of what you support. Economic lunacy.

Last edited:
the push to send the wealth into smaller and smaller hands is killing caplitalism

the push to send the wealth into smaller and smaller hands is killing caplitalism

It's not a push, it's a pull...and that pull is being performed by Big Government and its cronies, which have absolutely nothing to do with real capitalism.

you are now claiming the policies of the left have caused a wealth coincentration in this country?

Please use some facts to back your claim.

I'm claiming that Big Government Policies have caused a situation in which the middle class is being squeezed with higher taxes (the total tax burden for a median family has more than doubled as a percent of its income since the 1950s) in order to funnel money to favored cronies and to buy votes from an ever increasing pool of government dependents.

UMMm boody, the Bush tax cuts have been in place for years now and your team insisted they be renewed.

This is a response to the question asked here. http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/167715-morality-of-wealth-redistribution.html

Whenever I hear this question from conservatives and libertarians I wonder why they have to ask it for I don't see 'redistribution' anywhere? (While a bit off topic, it always reminds me of the Russian Serf and nobility, or the Slave owner and Slave situation of past centuries.) It is an attitude on the part of the questioner rather than question. A few comments on the use of the words and ideas around the topic.

Wealth is only created in a society, sometimes a good idea makes money but good ideas do not exist in a vacuum. Each citizen of America has a equal right as citizen to its wealth. So obviously its natural resources belong to all. That everyone cannot take advantage of them, forces the government to regulate their use. Since we all own the timber, coal, petroleum, and other materials, everyone should benefit from their sale and usage. Seems simple.
Thank you, Comrade Marx. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Comrade Marx. :rolleyes:

Hold on.....lemme go get a quote from Amazon....

you are now claiming the policies of the left have caused a wealth coincentration in this country?

Please use some facts to back your claim.
Please name a communistic country that doesn't have a massive gap between the wealthy elite and the rest of the peasants.....Just one.

Also, I think there are probably a small handful of countries, if even that, in which their poor would not jump at a chance to trade places with our poor.

But let's play devil's advocate for a bit and say that it is a bad thing that there is a wide disparity between rich and poor in this country.

If that is the case, is the factor creating this situation:

1) That evil capitalists are grabbing too much of the wealth for themselves and therefore the government should prevent that?

or​

2) That our well intentioned but ill advised system of dealing with poverty discourages people from leaving poverty and therefore increases poverty?

or​

3) Something else?

Half the people in this country do not pay taxes, and many of them even get money from the gov't. That sir, is redistribution of wealth. So was the many efforts, not all by Dems, to put people in houses they could not afford or give them free healthcare. Serfs and Slaves? A totally ridiculous comparison between them and today's US citizens.

No citizen has a right to wealth, but rather the opportunity to create their own wealth. Furthermore, everyone does benefit from the sale of resources, in the form of taxes and jobs.

People are not moral in the sense in which the question is asked, a few don't steal etc, but most people do what is comfortable for them based on their worldview. Think Mother Theresa and Bernie Madoff. No one, especially those able to benefit most from their class position think about the moral implications of their wealth.

Sure about that are ya?

We are a society based on the individual who think they are Crusoe. Some very wealthy people eventually create useful charitable organizations, but this aid is often about personal aggrandizement or directed outward.

So what? If a person is doing charitable work, why do you care what his/her motivations are? Unless of course it is your intention to demonize and demagogue them for whatever success they may have. Your biases are showing.

No it does not. No one has a right to welfare, NO ONE. Not even those who are disabled in some fashion, the rest of us should feel an obligation to them, but they do not have a right to that help. And BTW, it is not society's responsibily to provide opportunity, it is the individual's to go find or create one.

Society does not provide anybody with additional wealth. Wealthy people finds ways to make more money better than anybody else, through an infinite number of ways they innovate, invent, or create a product or service that is profitable, sometimes highly so.

Nobody ever said incentive was the only factor in creating wealth. While luck and timing are obvioously in play, there are a whole lot of other things that influence success or failure. And what does this have to do with the discussion at hand, other than to give you another way to demonize and demagogue.

Another aspect of great wealth is the power it has in a society or nation. Money buys power and lawyers who argue for the wealthy and with our election funding it controls the very people elected to server the people, all people, but who often only work for the wealthy.

No question that money equates to political power, as evidenced by the amount of influence the unions have over the democratic party. Who do you think ponies up $50,000 a head to attend an Obama fundrasier/dinner? Where do you think he's going to get much of that billion dollars he wants for his re-election bid? Looks to me like the special interest groups in Washington are influencing pols on both sides of the aisle, but I'm not seeing that much control over the elective process.

Since the wealth of a nation belongs to all, redistribution in the pejorative sense in which conservatives and libertarians frame it is a none starter and an invalid argument. Citizens have a right to a fair distribution of the wealth of the nation they too own. That is the moral thing to do.

Bullshit. Citizens have a right to whatever they can earn. And that is all they have a right to.

How the rich benefit from what should be owned by all: The Conservative Nanny State and Why we can't ignore growing income inequality. (1) - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine

How did you get rich dadddy? The rich get rich because of their merit. and UBI and the Flat Tax

You sound an awful lot like a socialist that wants an equal distribution of wealth. Been tried, never works.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your understandings, they're popular beliefs held by many good people and I'd bet that they're based on your experiences. Just the same there're many other good people who'd say their experiences flat out contradict some things you said--

...Wealth is only created in a society...

...the fact the monies were made in a particular society from its resources, and if morality plays a part they owe that society too...

...Wealthy people do not work any harder than others...

--and I might tend to agree with them but this is a vital, passionate, and important theme that demands serious response.

So we have to talk and we have to be on the same side here because places where the discourse turned violent ended up worse than ever. How about we consider the idea that we live in an age where most wealth is created not as crops or goods, but as services and that most of that is pure information created mostly by good people who've educated themselves more than most and who work more hours than most.

How would you distill your thoughts on that idea to a few sentences?

I'll check other replies as time permits.

Did you invent the equipment to extract those natural resources? Did you make it profitable to extract those natural resources? Are you paying the government for the lease and the rights? Did you get the education and work skills necessary to extract those resources? What happened to the Soveit oil, wages, and prices once they forced out the British out of their country?

Your avatar is a perfect representation of what you support. Economic lunacy.

Avatar? A happy family? Don't you have one?
========================================================

Publius1787, counterpoint each paragraph

No, and neither did the people who benefit most from what is a natural resource. Equipment and support comes from government, so in sense answer changes to yes - I/we did help as government works for us and we pay for government.

I did define morality I said it is what you feel comfortable doing. I didn't define my morality. Show me that true universal morality? If America belongs to all of us, I must have missed it? Concrete example please?

People are society, you only gave me a tautology. No guarantee was mentioned by me.

So you agree the wealthy do not work hard? see: The rich get rich because of their merit. We agree on one point.

Misread the incentive? Could that include luck? Or good fortune? Or see link just above.

That seems backward, our best years were when regulation was the strongest. And read the piece on the Conservative Nanny state (The Conservative Nanny State). "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary." Adam Smith

So then we agree again, wealth is created within societies so then it belongs to all. "Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained. All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came." Thomas Paine

No one said you did. But consider you just (we) bailed out the banks and investment firms. Seems bad decisions need to be really bad for you/us to pay for them, huh?

Again you are filling in your words. Quite simply the best economies are economies in which all have a share of the pie. Doesn't mean they have what I have or what you have, and it doesn't make us responsible for them. Our best times were when we all worked and maybe worked together.

Thank you, Comrade Marx.

You're welcome, anytime.

Publius1787, counterpoint each paragraph

No, and neither did the people who benefit most from what is a natural resource. Equipment and support comes from government, so in sense answer changes to yes - I/we did help as government works for us and we pay for government.

The people who took the risk of investing in that company own the equipment. The natural resources are leased out by the government to the business who wants to extract them on the governments terms. Once all fee's are paid those resources belong to the company that extracted them. If they dont then there is no reason for a company to extract it and THEN you REALLY have a problem.

I did define morality I said it is what you feel comfortable doing. I didn't define my morality. Show me that true universal morality? If America belongs to all of us, I must have missed it? Concrete example please?

The best description of morality I can find. If you play stupid on this one I cant help you.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdctDMW241Q&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Ep. 2 "Theme & Variation"‬‏[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6TrK3A3sVw&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Ep. 4 "The Standard of Morality"‬‏[/ame]

Misread the incentive? Could that include luck? Or good fortune? Or see link just above.

Long term success is not a lucky coencidence.

That seems backward, our best years were when regulation was the strongest. And read the piece on the Conservative Nanny state (The Conservative Nanny State). "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary." Adam Smith.

If you dont beleive regulations stifle production and prevent competition then you need to go out and take the most basic economics course you can find, look in the back of the book, and find (Barriers to entry). Also look up what factors decreases supply and increase scarcity which drives prices up so that your evil businesses can make that evil profit and create that evil inequality that you so despise. When the government finnaly steped in to regulate the railroads in the 1920's (I believe it was) TO PREVENT A MONOPOLY what happened? Union Pacific became a monopoly. The higher the regulations in an industry the more odds of it becomiong an oligarchy, monopoly, or perfect monopoly. This is a universal truth that cannot be reckoned with.

So then we agree again, wealth is created within societies so then it belongs to all. "Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained. All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came." Thomas Paine.

There is a difference between forced association and free association. Forced association is when you are forced to associate your earnings with another against your will and most of the time for other than your own benefit. free association guarentees mutual benefit.

No one said you did. But consider you just (we) bailed out the banks and investment firms. Seems bad decisions need to be really bad for you/us to pay for them, huh?.

Corperate welfare is just as evil as individual welfare.

Again you are filling in your words. Quite simply the best economies are economies in which all have a share of the pie. Doesn't mean they have what I have or what you have, and it doesn't make us responsible for them. Our best times were when we all worked and maybe worked together.

Our best times are when we work togather through free association OF OUR OWN CHOOSING. Not through forced association. Your dream of everyone dancing togather with their hammer and sickles for the good of dear leader doesent cut it. You economic dram requres the enslavement of man.

What happened to the other responses? It doesent matter. Your lazyness in quoting me has largly left me puzzled in what I am responding to.

Thank you for sharing your understandings, they're popular beliefs held by many good people and I'd bet that they're based on your experiences. Just the same there're many other good people who'd say their experiences flat out contradict some things you said--

...Wealth is only created in a society...

...the fact the monies were made in a particular society from its resources, and if morality plays a part they owe that society too...

...Wealthy people do not work any harder than others...

--and I might tend to agree with them but this is a vital, passionate, and important theme that demands serious response.

So we have to talk and we have to be on the same side here because places where the discourse turned violent ended up worse than ever. How about we consider the idea that we live in an age where most wealth is created not as crops or goods, but as services and that most of that is pure information created mostly by good people who've educated themselves more than most and who work more hours than most.

How would you distill your thoughts on that idea to a few sentences?

Interesting reply, I usually get called a communist or some word not used in polite company. It is the kind of question that could, and probably does, fill books. But I think we have always been a services economy, the egg man, the bread man, the fruit man, the milkman, all served us when I was young. We lost them for mini-marts and massive food stores. Fast food is a big service industry today. But aside from medicine what other services are big today? How about education? Fast food we call afford; education often depends on class position aka money. Name others?

Crops and goods are still big, but this is where we get into outsourcing and cheap labor overseas. Lots of farms are still around, even with all the conglomerates. The well to do like fresh food. I'm not sure if 'information' is a big enough employer capable of filling the fact we don't make things here any more. I started when technology was mechanical electrical and employed lots because the service it provided required lots of equipment and maintenance. Today that same technology lives in mostly unmanned sites and requires less employees even though the service it provides has grown to staggering size.

I am a buy American nut if you read many of my old posts and threads. It is in making things that we all work and prosper and it is why sometimes Keynesian economics is the only thing that kick starts our economy. Investment in building and rebuilding helps the future too. Much of what we take for granted today was created and developed in more bipartisan times.

Forum List

Back