We will not pay: the Americans withholding their taxes to fight Trump

katsung47

VIP Member
Nov 22, 2011
Joanna Walters 15 February 2017

“My tax money will be going towards putting up a wall on the Mexican border instead of helping sick people. It will contribute to the destruction of the environment and maybe more nuclear weapons. I think there will be a redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy elite and Trump’s campaign for the working man and woman was an absolute fraud. If you pay taxes you are implicated in the system,” said Newman, an associate professor of English and history at Stony Brook University on Long Island, part of the State University of New York.

Man I hope the democrats really "dig in" for this one. I hope not one of the backs down. If there was ever a time to show they have a spine it's now. If there was ever a way...? This is it! C'mon Dems don't let us down! The whole world is watching!

Man I hope the democrats really "dig in" for this one. I hope not one of the backs down. If there was ever a time to show they have a spine it's now. If there was ever a way...? This is it! C'mon Dems don't let us down! The whole world is watching!
Sadist! You just want to see them in jail. Admit it.

From the story:
The reported 18 holes of golf, however, directly contradicts how White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders described Trump's visit to the golf course during a briefing with reporters on Sunday.

"I know he played a couple of holes this morning but I am not going to disclose any of the others that were there," Sanders said, adding that Trump also "played a couple" on Saturday, as well.

Confronted by McIlroy's comments about playing 18 holes with the President, Sanders said the President "intended to play a few holes and decided to play longer."​

Here again we have an example of Trump and his Administration's deciduous relationship with the truth, a meager bond that agitates moral concern that there be in play procrustean impetus. And to what end?

So he played a full round of golf. The man's entitled to "have a life" when the opportunity presents itself. He's a principal, and within apparent reason, that means he gets to decide when he's free to recreate and when he's not. That's the way executive discretion works. I think the same of any principal, be the in public office or in the private sector.

My complaint derives from Sanders having created a situation whereby she later had to "spin" her earlier answer, and she really didn't have to do that. She could from the start just said, "Yes, he played a game of golf today." It's a direct declarative statement that needs no explanation.

There was no reason to say "a couple holes," especially not when he played 18 of them. A couple is by definition two, whereas eighteen is far more. Maybe, not likely but maybe, she didn't know Trump played 18 holes. If that was the case, replying, "His plan was to play a couple holes, but I don't know if that's what he did. Let me confirm what happened and get back to you," would have been just fine. It's simple. It's 100% honest and accurate. It's complete. Nobody expects more than that, and, quite frankly, that is what most people give and receive, but not Trump and his people. Why?

And before the zealots start in with their relativism, the problem isn't that Trump or his team "misspeak" occasionally. The issue is that they do it all day daily. They "misspeak" like a f*cking fish drinks water. That's the problem because one cannot trust that a damn thing they say -- major or minor -- is so. We're talking the Presidency, not Romper Room.

“My tax money will be going towards putting up a wall on the Mexican border instead of helping sick people. It will contribute to the destruction of the environment and maybe more nuclear weapons. I think there will be a redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy elite and Trump’s campaign for the working man and woman was an absolute fraud. If you pay taxes you are implicated in the system,” said Newman, an associate professor of English and history at Stony Brook University on Long Island, part of the State University of New York.

What a brilliant idea...that will amount to a ton more cash for the Feds and maybe a much more elaborate wall. No organization charges more to wait on their money. I think the effective interest rate approaches 30% after factoring all fees, interest and penalties. I say do it...we need a high quality wall.

IRS liens will be applied, their accounts drained and property sold.

Shrug. Seems an odd way to fight.

I realize the Left is inherently illogical but......HUH? Well good luck with that one. I guess we will finally see just how far in the tank the IRS is with the Democrats if they let tax deadbeats use that as an excuse.

“My tax money will be going towards putting up a wall on the Mexican border instead of helping sick people. It will contribute to the destruction of the environment and maybe [building] more nuclear weapons. I think there will be a redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy elite and Trump’s campaign for the working man and woman was an absolute fraud. If you pay taxes you are implicated in the system,” said Newman, an associate professor of English and history at Stony Brook University on Long Island, part of the State University of New York.

Interesting that you have shared that. I know two people who've already shifted their tax home out of the U.S. to minimize as much as possible contributing to those sorts of expenditures. I think they'll miss out on the redistribution she describes, but I think they'll be okay with that. In any case, they'll just have to be.

No organization charges more [than the Fed] to wait on their money.
What?

1. Not paying what you owe when you file your return. The late-payment penalty is one-half of one percent of the tax owed for each month it is unpaid. Every month you owe, the penalty amount increases by a half of a percent. So the first month the IRS will charge you a half percent of the tax due, the second month 1%, the third month 1.5%, etc. The late-payment penalty does max out at 25%. So if you have owed the IRS for more than 24 months, your late-filing penalty has hit its limit – 25% of the tax. (Note: the half percent rate increases to one percent (1%) if the IRS issues a final notice of intent to levy and the tax remains unpaid for 10 days thereafter.)

2. Not filing your return on time. The late-filing penalty is sort of like the late-payment penalty – it escalates every month, only quicker. The late-filing penalty starts out at five percent (5%) of the tax owed for each month your return is late. The penalty increase by 5% every month for a maximum of five months, hitting its limit at 25% in the fifth month your return is late.

When both penalties run concurrently, the late-filing penalty is reduced from 5% to 4 1/2% monthly. When both penalties apply, the late-filing penalty hits its max at 22.5%, with the late-payment still maxing out at 25%.

The combined penalty for not paying on time and not filing on time: 47.5%.

By example, if you filed your return more than five months late, and owed $50,000 on the return, you could eventually owe an additional $23,750 in penalties. As for interest, as an estimate, let’s say it is running at 5% – say $2,500/year. In five years, you would have a minimum of $12.500 in interest (and that is without calculating interest on the penalties). That is $36,250 of interest and penalties on $50,000 of tax after five years. (Please note these numbers are for illustration only – you get the idea.)

No organization charges more [than the Fed] to wait on their money.
What?

1. Not paying what you owe when you file your return. The late-payment penalty is one-half of one percent of the tax owed for each month it is unpaid. Every month you owe, the penalty amount increases by a half of a percent. So the first month the IRS will charge you a half percent of the tax due, the second month 1%, the third month 1.5%, etc. The late-payment penalty does max out at 25%. So if you have owed the IRS for more than 24 months, your late-filing penalty has hit its limit – 25% of the tax. (Note: the half percent rate increases to one percent (1%) if the IRS issues a final notice of intent to levy and the tax remains unpaid for 10 days thereafter.)

2. Not filing your return on time. The late-filing penalty is sort of like the late-payment penalty – it escalates every month, only quicker. The late-filing penalty starts out at five percent (5%) of the tax owed for each month your return is late. The penalty increase by 5% every month for a maximum of five months, hitting its limit at 25% in the fifth month your return is late.

When both penalties run concurrently, the late-filing penalty is reduced from 5% to 4 1/2% monthly. When both penalties apply, the late-filing penalty hits its max at 22.5%, with the late-payment still maxing out at 25%.

The combined penalty for not paying on time and not filing on time: 47.5%.

By example, if you filed your return more than five months late, and owed $50,000 on the return, you could eventually owe an additional $23,750 in penalties. As for interest, as an estimate, let’s say it is running at 5% – say $2,500/year. In five years, you would have a minimum of $12.500 in interest (and that is without calculating interest on the penalties). That is $36,250 of interest and penalties on $50,000 of tax after five years. (Please note these numbers are for illustration only – you get the idea.)

TY for the explanation.

Forum List

Back